help needed, laugh if you like

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no problem retrieving from water, just ask the wildfowling lads who have ESS, theres plenty of springers retrieving geese from tidal waters so rivers stream or ponds shouldnt be a bother, if the white

GR why don't me and you get a flat in fife and live for free off lab I'll bring the Lurcher, you got the gun and gundog, that and those jocks are always on here so would be easy anyway

The clue is in the name GR! Boing most springers can clear your average country fence and as for working in cover, an eager beaver will smash through it like it's not even there It's what they live

Posted Images

First of, Hello all.

Recently having started a new job miles away from where i originally lived, I had to get rid of the dog I had at the time, a Coursing bred Saluki Greyhound.

Now having settled into my new job, once again i have started yearning for a dog, missing the mooching and the wandering I used to do, a time to relax and let the world go by, but at the same time doing something I enjoyed.

A couple of weeks ago, to relieve my boredom i bought myself an Air Arms S410, to pop off the local Grey Squirrel population, as well as the Coneys and the Wood-pigeons.

Hopefully if everything goes according to plan, I will also be getting a baikal stealth .410, to do the same as the air rifle, but obviously with the added advantage of shooting moving quarry.

So over these past few weeks, I have been thinking of what dog to get, do I go for the usual choice of a coursing bred dog, or maybe something a little different, maybe a Bedlington x, who knows.

But having re-kindled that enjoyment I get from shooting, I thought to myself, do I really need a running dog? When I had one, a simple walk around the local footpaths turned into interrogation having 100's of questions thrown my way e.g. what you up to, I hope you aren't poaching, you do know if the farmer see's a dog like that he will shoot it .etc .etc.

So thinking to myself, could I get a dog that could be as much use to me as a Running dog, but without the added stigma surrounding them? Having pondered upon this question for a while, I thought of a black Labrador.

But my question to all you Gun-dog men out there is, could I train said dog to mark trees with squirrels up them? mark rabbit sets whilst out ferreting? push game into long-nets and hares into gate-nets? Retreive game that i have shot, be it with the S410, the .410, or the Catty, be it from land or water? Whilst at the same time having a cracking companion, a foot warmer, and a dog that will sit at my feet all night whilst at the pub?

Hope to hear some advice on the matter, I understand its not your usual requirements of a Gun-dog.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

First of, Hello all.

Recently having started a new job miles away from where i originally lived, I had to get rid of the dog I had at the time, a Coursing bred Saluki Greyhound.

Now having settled into my new job, once again i have started yearning for a dog, missing the mooching and the wandering I used to do, a time to relax and let the world go by, but at the same time doing something I enjoyed.

A couple of weeks ago, to relieve my boredom i bought myself an Air Arms S410, to pop off the local Grey Squirrel population, as well as the Coneys and the Wood-pigeons.

Hopefully if everything goes according to plan, I will also be getting a baikal stealth .410, to do the same as the air rifle, but obviously with the added advantage of shooting moving quarry.

So over these past few weeks, I have been thinking of what dog to get, do I go for the usual choice of a coursing bred dog, or maybe something a little different, maybe a Bedlington x, who knows.

But having re-kindled that enjoyment I get from shooting, I thought to myself, do I really need a running dog? When I had one, a simple walk around the local footpaths turned into interrogation having 100's of questions thrown my way e.g. what you up to, I hope you aren't poaching, you do know if the farmer see's a dog like that he will shoot it .etc .etc.

So thinking to myself, could I get a dog that could be as much use to me as a Running dog, but without the added stigma surrounding them? Having pondered upon this question for a while, I thought of a black Labrador.

But my question to all you Gun-dog men out there is, could I train said dog to mark trees with squirrels up them? mark rabbit sets whilst out ferreting? push game into long-nets and hares into gate-nets? Retreive game that i have shot, be it with the S410, the .410, or the Catty, be it from land or water? Whilst at the same time having a cracking companion, a foot warmer, and a dog that will sit at my feet all night whilst at the pub?

Hope to hear some advice on the matter, I understand its not your usual requirements of a Gun-dog.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

Don't worry Lab, you ain't on his hit list yet :tongue2::laugh: , but I'm working on getting you number 1 spot :yes::D

First of, Hello all.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

Don't worry Lab, you ain't on his hit list yet :tongue2::laugh: , but I'm working on getting you number 1 spot :yes::D

Its the pheasants i fear for.....obviously wanting to shoot them all and get a good gundog to retrieve his spoils................ :whistling::D

First of, Hello all.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

and there was me thinking Lab might show intolerance , nice one Lab and i can see how you enjoyed reading because there is only one "K" used in your last word :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

First of, Hello all.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

Its the pheasants i fear for.....obviously wanting to shoot them all and get a good gundog to retrieve his spoils................ :whistling::D

:laugh: I didn't think of that, it's ok as he is down south although I might offer him the money for a trip to Scotland :angel:

First of, Hello all.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

and there was me thinking Lab might show intolerance , nice one Lab and i can see how you enjoyed reading because there is only one "K" used in your last word :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm kind of hoping no one tells him f**k all about Gundogs........there wont be a bloody bird left. Surely he cant get a license.........can he?.... :whistling::angel:

First of, Hello all.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

:laugh: I didn't think of that, it's ok as he is down south although I might offer him the money for a trip to Scotland :angel:

Better hurry up then cause av only got about 800 left and there going next week.................... :boogy:

First of, Hello all.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

I'm kind of hoping no one tells him f**k all about Gundogs........there wont be a bloody bird left. Surely he cant get a license.........can he?.... :whistling::angel:

look Lab , he lives down south and is soon moving to fife so i cannot see the problem !, and if he finds such a pooch then fecking englands entire pheasant , partridge , grouse , deer , hare population aint going to be safe

ohh and a new fad for all the numb twats to breed more mongrels

and i almost forgot , cross pleanty of pitbull into it :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

First of, Hello all.

Cheers,

Damien

Oh f**k!!!!!

look Lab , he lives down south and is soon moving to fife so i cannot see the problem !, and if he finds such a pooch then fecking englands entire pheasant , partridge , grouse , deer , hare population aint going to be safe

ohh and a new fad for all the numb twats to breed more mongrels

and i almost forgot , cross pleanty of pitbull into it :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

He's not coming to Fife........i'll make sure he doesn't cross the bridge! Keep the poaching c**t down there........ :angel:

well gentlemen, thanks for the helpful advice, as usual!!!

No, no SGC as of yet, still waiting for them to get back to me, and as i have a clean criminal record, i reckon there should be no problem!!!

And don't worry lab, there is no money in partridge or pheasants as you have said a few times its pointless poaching them, even if you want a few for the pot, its not worth the risk of getting caught for pennies.......... Hares and ducks on the other hand :thumbs::tongue2:

As stated earlier, i am a one for the pot man, but it make's me feel like i have done well, if keepers up and down the country fear me, my role in life has been fulfilled :laugh::toast:

But in all honesty mate, i give up with the whole mooching/ fence hopping side of things, i have a bit of permission now, and its good to not have to worry all the time, so i guess the question was genuine, i do want a gun-dog to many arseholes in the lurcher world, especially them geordies breeding there circus crossbred mongrels :tongue2:

Would you reccomend a springer or a lab, lab?