Walther LGV Competition Ultra Review and Field Test

i'm not sure about in 22, but a chap at our club has a competition ultra in 177 and uses jsb expresses 7.9grain. it also shoots very well with jsb exacts and air arms fields. both are 8.4 grains. i think they're all 4.52mm.

ive also had quite a bit of interest in these guns, and thought i'd wait until i saw one in the flesh and have a shoot with one. i finally got my mitts on my mates last sunday. i was quite impressed with the accuracy and the overall feel of the gun. quite heavy but thats how i like them. it was very smooth to cock and fired very nicely. it had a slight twang to it, but as we all know, its the results that count not the sound it makes.

to say its straight out the box and barely fired in, it was very nice. the trigger had slight creep to it, but nothing that couldnt be tweaked out with a bit of time and patience. the finish on the gun was ok too. all in all, a nice gun.

• Like 1

a good quality pellet is the ftt's. thats one of the first types i tried in all my barrels. i could only get my mitts on 4.51's. i found my hw100 shoots them pretty well, whereas they sempt to be a bit too loose in my hw97kt. sometimes when i thumbed one into my gun, it'd come back out on the end of my thumb. i ended up going to 4.52's which all of my guns seem to like. as i couldnt get ftt's in 4.52 i ended up trying the jsb variety.

jsb exacts or air arms field in 4.52 seem to shoot well in all of my guns. that includes my 97. i tried expresses, with them being half a grain lighter they shoot very well. so i tend to use expresses in my springer and exacts or air arms in my pcp's. i can get them for a fair price so i stick with them.

the walther lgv does seem to be a good solid gun. i'm going to wait and see for a while just to make sure there's no teething problems before i spend any dollar.

i thought it wasnt too bad. it sempt to be even all over, but it had a band about 15mm wide that was a shade lighter. i was just in front of the scope on the cylinder. it wasn't an eye sore and didnt stand out a mile, but was there.

i'm not sure if its a join from the machining or if it was a patch that hadnt been polished as well before blueing. overall i was impressed with the gun. it had a slight twang that i could only hear when i fired it. i couldn't hear it if someone else fired it. the accuracy was excellent. i also dont mind the stock. the balance felt about right for me and i'm not a big chap.

it looks loads nicer with the sights removed off of the muzzle break. i could be tempted to get one, but the hw95k/98 takes some beating. only time will tell. another good thing is that a ot of people rushed out to buy one, which is only a good thing as they come up for sale at bargain prices if you're lucky enough to drop on one.

have you sent the one you had back or is it still doing the rounds for the reviewers?

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread im looking for some help.

I bought an lgv competition ultra .177 of a local club member the rifle is only just over 3 months old .he got the rfd to shorten the lop by half an inch for that small an adjustment why bother im 6ft2 and its fine for me but tbats the only adjustment over standard

I tried it today for the first time and im struggling to get any accuracy out of it at all.

I also bought a tx200 hc and fitted the vortek o ring conversion. The tx shot ragged one he groups on our 25 yard I door range bench rested.

The lgv would hit nearly pellet on pellet for 2 or 3 shots then be an inch high then left then right I could not get it to group consistently at all.

My sfs 97kt is a one ragged hole group so is my tx but not the lgv

I tried jsb exacts 4.52 8.44gn then super domes followed by aa fields falcon accuracy plus and daystste li all 4.52.

I have a hawke airmax map6 scope on top with a medium I piece mount set at 9mag

25 yard parallax. .

I chronod the rifle with the aa fields

High 783 low 776 aversge 778 11.35 fpe

Has anyone got any ideas what to do or what im doing wrong..

Going by reviews on here it should be super accurate and easy to shoot.

I no I got it second hand he paid £520 For it and I paid enough to almost buy a new 97

So I was hoping for more

All advice welcome

if I can't sort it it will have to go to someone who can use it. a swap for a pro sport or the new model 95 or a 98 will be on the cards.

It might just be me i might just be a crap shot and its technique thats letting the rifle down.

I tried it today for the first time and im struggling to get any accuracy out of it at all.
The lgv would hit nearly pellet on pellet for 2 or 3 shots then be an inch high then left then right I could not get it to group consistently at all.

The consistency is good. exact 4.52 s is a good pellet in these guns
check the stock screws are tight

clean the barrel

try a different scope

check the barrel locks up nicely
check play between the barrel and breech jaws

I had a similar problem with 2 guns 1 had play in the stock mounting bracket the other had a fecked scope

the lgv has a very quick firing cycle and the symtoms you describe are the same as I had with a fecked scope

cheers for the reply

i hope its not the scope it brand new this is the first rifle its been on .i have checked the stock screws they are tight the barrel seems to lock up ok as far as i can see.

i cleaned the barrel with a napier pull through the night i picked it up,

i was really hoping i could use this for hft but it no where near at the moment.

i will re mount the scope again and try that

cheers for the reply

i hope its not the scope it brand new this is the first rifle its been on .i have checked the stock screws they are tight the barrel seems to lock up ok as far as i can see.

i was really hoping i could use this for hft but it no where near at the moment.

try the scope on your other guns the 97 or tx, you know they are accurate so it will be easy to see if its the scope that's the problem.

what do you mean by shorten the 'lop' whats that? something to do with the barrel? might have fuuucked the accuracy up by doing that...?

cheers for the reply

try the scope on your other guns the 97 or tx, you know they are accurate so it will be easy to see if its the scope that's the problem.

what do you mean by shorten the 'lop' whats that? something to do with the barrel? might have fuuucked the accuracy up by doing that...?

Lop is length of pull the stock has been shortened

cheers for the reply

Ask another club member to shoot a group with it I always do this to eliminate my shooting as being the problem

The Lgv is not supposed to be hold sensitive

Is the trigger set up to your liking

Did you get the new scope by post or courier

Edited by slave

I got the scope through royal mail .it was well packaged .

I will try another scope

To be honest the guy I bought it from could not get on with it

He is a good shot but could only manage 1 inch groups at 30 yards

And quarter inch or less with his 97 and pro sport.

He said its no problem to take it back to live lines where he bought it to be checked

Out

But it an almost new rifle

I got the scope through royal mail .it was well packaged .

I will try another scope

To be honest the guy I bought it from could not get on with it

He is a good shot but could only manage 1 inch groups at 30 yards

And quarter inch or less with his 97 and pro sport.

He said its no problem to take it back to live lines where he bought it to be checked

Out

But it an almost new rifle

There must be a problem 1" groups at 30yards are unacceptable on a £520 springer did you get the receipt I would contact Armex and tell them your not happy http://armex-airgun.co.uk/index.php

but first try another scope Rm have been known to feck brand new well packaged scopes.

Or take it back to the shop

Edited by slave