Pigeon for dinner

Elliott

Had a visit to see family today and decided to take the HW77K on the off chance I got an opportunity for a wander over our family farms.

As I walked over the empty moorland fields with the farm jack russel by my side I spooked a wood pigeon on top of a dry stone wall. Knowing that pigeons usually flock I assumed there would be more so I donned my balaclava and gloves, lowered my profile and made my way over to the wall, dog at heel, for a peek over the top stones into the adjacent field.

There was a mixture of 40-50 juvenile (no neck bar) and mature woodpigeon busily feeding on the clover no further than 5m behind the wall. I took a higher vantage point 30m back but still couldn't get the right angle without stading up and silhouetting myself on the horison. I decided to stick to my position in the hope that one of them decides to land on the wall for a look around.

5mins passed when George, my grandfather's brother, opened the squeeky bottom gate and drove up the field on his quad bike, closely followed by his two border collies. Damn! We chewed the fat for 10mins and he laughed when I told hom how close I was to bagging a pigeon. He had one from his back garden recently and commented on how tasty it was pan fried.

5mins later I was making my way back to our farm through a little Beech wood that divides the land. This small woodland has a stream that runs through it, fueled by water drained from the land. I spent many a day as a child in this little brook and in my teenage years spend a good amount of hours attempting to pot the many pigeons and crows that nested in it. As I arrived around 10-15 pigeons bolted from the canopy. With nothing to lose I headed in with the dog and spotted a nice mature pigeon perched high in the canopy. I can't recall how much hold under was given, it was done almost instinctivley. I squeezed the HW77K's trigger from a standing position and watched the pigeon tumble to the ground.

It appeared to be a clean headshot but strangely the bird still had some life in it so I did the humane thing.

20120923_153027_zpsa034b97e.jpg

I headed back to the farmhouse as the rain started and threw the breasts in the pan wih some onion and butter to go with my tea. First time I've had pigeon; I found it very meaty and tougher than expected. Not sure I'm a big fan but I'll try it again sometime.

20120923_160643_zpsb9a92af6.jpg

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

Had a visit to see family today and decided to take the HW77K on the off chance I got an opportunity for a wander over our family farms.

As I walked over the empty moorland fields with the farm jack russel by my side I spooked a wood pigeon on top of a dry stone wall. Knowing that pigeons usually flock I assumed there would be more so I donned my balaclava and gloves, lowered my profile and made my way over to the wall, dog at heel, for a peek over the top stones into the adjacent field.

There was a mixture of 40-50 juvenile (no neck bar) and mature woodpigeon busily feeding on the clover no further than 5m behind the wall. I took a higher vantage point 30m back but still couldn't get the right angle without stading up and silhouetting myself on the horison. I decided to stick to my position in the hope that one of them decides to land on the wall for a look around.

5mins passed when George, my grandfather's brother, opened the squeeky bottom gate and drove up the field on his quad bike, closely followed by his two border collies. Damn! We chewed the fat for 10mins and he laughed when I told hom how close I was to bagging a pigeon. He had one from his back garden recently and commented on how tasty it was pan fried.

5mins later I was making my way back to our farm through a little Beech wood that divides the land. This small woodland has a stream that runs through it, fueled by water drained from the land. I spent many a day as a child in this little brook and in my teenage years spend a good amount of hours attempting to pot the many pigeons and crows that nested in it. As I arrived around 10-15 pigeons bolted from the canopy. With nothing to lose I headed in with the dog and spotted a nice mature pigeon perched high in the canopy. I can't recall how much hold under was given, it was done almost instinctivley. I squeezed the HW77K's trigger from a standing position and watched the pigeon tumble to the ground.

It appeared to be a clean headshot but strangely the bird still had some life in it so I did the humane thing.

20120923_153027_zpsa034b97e.jpg

I headed back to the farmhouse as the rain started and threw the breasts in the pan wih some onion and butter to go with my tea. First time I've had pigeon; I found it very meaty and tougher than expected. Not sure I'm a big fan but I'll try it again sometime.

20120923_160643_zpsb9a92af6.jpg

Dont cook it so long the next time. Lovely tasting bird.... :thumbs:

Here have a recipe that will make your pigeon more palatable!

Ingredients

8 oz of shortcrust pastry

Two plump pigeons

¼ lb bacon

¼ lb mushrooms

1 onion

½ pint stock

1 oz butter

salt and pepper

Tablespoon of flour

A pinch of gravy salt

Method

Place the pigeons in a pan, cover with a pint of water, season with salt and pepper and simmer for an hour and a half. Save water. Remove meat from skin and carcasses. Place meat in pie dish.

Slice onion and mushrooms, cut up bacon and fry them together in the butter.

Add them to the pigeon in the pie dish.

If you are using meat of the pigeon only, use ½ a pint of the water that the pigeons were cooked in to make the stock by adding a chicken stock cube, then thicken with tablespoon of flour, add a pinch gravy salt, to colour and pour over the pigeons.

(If you have cooked the pigeons complete with bones, simply miss out the stock cube, strain, and use ½ a pint of the liquid as your stock).

Add stock to the pigeons. Cover with pastry, pop a couple of slits in the top, brush with egg mixed with milk and bake the pie for thirty minutes at, gas 6, 400°F, 200°C. or until crust is brown.

Halve it if you only have one pigeon. Works well. The 2 pigeon recipe works well for 3-4 people by the way! I have made this and it is delicious, go all Jamie Oliver, dare you!

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 2

next time season and fry for 1 minute each side them put in a warm oven about 120 for8 to 10 minutes take em out and leave to stand for 5 this is just a guid as everybodys cooking equipment is diffrent you can fine tune it to suit you... i go for somthing that looks abit like a nice cooked tuna steak nice and pink/red inside you will be amazed when you get it right just how delicate and diffrent it is to a well cooked tough livery tasting bit of pigeon. :thumbs: