Best way to mince your own meat and bones?

i dont get why everyone minces there carcasses, cut the chicken into manageable peices bones etc, it is more stimulating and stops boredom with all the chewing imo, and it will do their teeth the world of good. do the same with rabbits, its no good for the dogs to just be inhaling mince all the time in my opinion, its more natural and fun to chew and crunch.

• Like 1

i dont get why everyone minces there carcasses, cut the chicken into manageable peices bones etc, it is more stimulating and stops boredom with all the chewing imo, and it will do their teeth the world of good. do the same with rabbits, its no good for the dogs to just be inhaling mince all the time in my opinion, its more natural and fun to chew and crunch.

Theres a couple of reasons why i personally want to. The first being freezer space. Dont have room for another freezer and seeing as i have to share mine i cant really keep filling it up with rabbits and carcasses, can condense them down to a fraction of the size when minced. The second being that whenever i give my dog anything more than a mouthful he'll find somewhere to stash it and wont eat it. Ill find out about it a couple of days later when a random place in my house or garden starts kickin right up.

He eats whole chicken wings not a problem but not rabbit or carcasses

Theres a couple of reasons why i personally want to. The first being freezer space. Dont have room for another freezer and seeing as i have to share mine i cant really keep filling it up with rabbits and carcasses, can condense them down to a fraction of the size when minced. The second being that whenever i give my dog anything more than a mouthful he'll find somewhere to stash it and wont eat it. Ill find out about it a couple of days later when a random place in my house or garden starts kickin right up.

mine did that, but i feed her in her crate so she has to eat it then or not eat. if she doesnt eat it then she goes hungry, and she soon learnt. if you cut it into joints or lumps you can freeze it on a baking tray with greaseproof paper in the freezer then put in bags once frozen, this stops it freezing in a lump and also will help on the storage situation. i guess im lucky i have a whole chest freezer to myself for ferret dog food etc. i know you think mincing is the best most convenient way, but i genuinely think it isnt the best option for the dog, and im sure skycat would say the same, not just eating slop which is what chicken carcass mince turns into. get a decent knife and you can cut it up into small chunks in no time. just my thoughts and how i do it

That is what im doing at the moment, cutting it into small chunks and he does love it that way, its just i dont always get home in time to get to the butchers so id like to have a load of frozen mince as a back up. Only have room for 2 frozen rabbits max

mine did that, but i feed her in her crate so she has to eat it then or not eat. if she doesnt eat it then she goes hungry, and she soon learnt. if you cut it into joints or lumps you can freeze it on a baking tray with greaseproof paper in the freezer then put in bags once frozen, this stops it freezing in a lump and also will help on the storage situation. i guess im lucky i have a whole chest freezer to myself for ferret dog food etc. i know you think mincing is the best most convenient way, but i genuinely think it isnt the best option for the dog, and im sure skycat would say the same, not just eating slop which is what chicken carcass mince turns into. get a decent knife and you can cut it up into small chunks in no time. just my thoughts and how i do it

Try finding room for 50 plus rabbits in an ordinary freezer.

Mincing means 1. you can utilise the maximum freezer space.2.You can easily add different meats together ,ie lean rabbit& fatty chicken carcasses, and blend in blitzed raw veg ,rice , porridge,pasta easier.3. You can still give bones when required, but your dogs are not constantly trying to pass hard chalky pellets of bone.

• Like 2

Mincing means 1. you can utilise the maximum freezer space.2.You can easily add different meats together ,ie lean rabbit& fatty chicken carcasses, and blend in blitzed raw veg ,rice , porridge,pasta easier.3. You can still give bones when required, but your dogs are not constantly trying to pass hard chalky pellets of bone.

cutting into chunks and freezing still utilises space very well, and imo i think id rather do what is better and more stimulating for the dog ie chunks, and just have to cut up more chunks more often. i dont see the need to mix up the meat together, just feed rabbit one night and chicken the other it will balance itself out. i will take the comment about veg etc, but my dog will eat pasta porridge etc when mixed with her chunks. i dont get your third point, the dogs are eating the same amount of bone wether it is minced or eaten in chunks? it is digested the same, well in fact i read it is better for the dogs digestive system to digested chewed carcasses.

• Like 1

cutting into chunks and freezing still utilises space very well, and imo i think id rather do what is better and more stimulating for the dog ie chunks, and just have to cut up more chunks more often. i dont see the need to mix up the meat together, just feed rabbit one night and chicken the other it will balance itself out. i will take the comment about veg etc, but my dog will eat pasta porridge etc when mixed with her chunks. i dont get your third point, the dogs are eating the same amount of bone wether it is minced or eaten in chunks? it is digested the same, well in fact i read it is better for the dogs digestive system to digested chewed carcasses.

If you give rabbit & chicken carcasses whole regularly you will soon have problems with dogs having constipation.

This does not happen with the same stuff when its minced. bags of rabbits,and chicken portions take up 4 or 5 times the space of the same meat minced. I know because I feed both.

I give my dogs a variety whole carcasses of both rabbit ,hare , chicken, lamb bones etc , but I also feed minced versions of the same.

Now tell me 1. Your dogs dont get constipated.2.Your cut up portions take up no more room than the same amount would minced. :angel:

Edited by inan