'Retired' Greyhounds....

Does anyone use 'retired' racing Greyhounds for hunting?

I'm intrigued by the use of Greyhounds for hunting, don't know a right lot about it but would like to know more about their use/purpose in hunting if anyone could give me a brief outline of what they are used on and how.... I take it the main - if not only quarry - is Rabbit/Hare? Thanks

im going lamping a track greyhound and a coursing greyhound tonight there only young just sharpen them up i never got any hassle with greyhounds with cattle dont have sheep around me but id say would be dodgy unless they were brought up as a pup to ignore them :thumbs:

Interesting stuff. Especially using them to retrieve Woodies. I'm not surprised at them not liking cats! I personally wouldn't want Greyhounds and Sheep in close proximity.

I'm a big fan of Greyhounds. Great dogs, great pets. I'm just not sure of their capablilites off the track but I guess at the end of the day they are hunting breed, like many breeds of dog are.

the father in law ran a greyhound in the 70s he bought it in to breed with a collie but the greyhound wouldnt stand, but that was ran on rabbit , hare , fox and the odd deer ...

Interesting stuff. Especially using them to retrieve Woodies. I'm not surprised at them not liking cats! I personally wouldn't want Greyhounds and Sheep in close proximity.

I'm a big fan of Greyhounds. Great dogs, great pets. I'm just not sure of their capablilites off the track but I guess at the end of the day they are hunting breed, like many breeds of dog are.

Not woodies mate but feral pigeons, flying rats :bad: . If you were thinking of getting one I would advise getting a pup and bringing it up like a normal lurcher as if they are brought up on a track they get used to the sand too much and turn like a bus :laugh:

• Like 1

I think they are great dogs, when I grew up thats all I had to course with ,lurcher has more stamina mind, I had a bitch in the 80s she was shit hot at finding partridge and pheasant, not very willing to give em up mind she could be very heavy mouthed, but great fun well worth having, bet to have on from a pup would make a big difference some of them come off the track, you would swear they had a self destruct button,

• 2 months later...

my brother bought en ex racing greyhound bitch 80 quid to stud his bull cross too, anyway he bred her then took her lamping she catches rabbits before they get a chance to turn havent run hares with the bitch yet but will catch the red ones real easy too just not to bright when she gets bit back but thats what his bull cross is there for, one thing i will say is his greyhound is like a steam train if theres a rabbit running through a fence she will hit it head on straight behind it very dull but extremely game, all the best :thumbs:

my brother bought en ex racing greyhound bitch 80 quid to stud his bull cross too, anyway he bred her then took her lamping she catches rabbits before they get a chance to turn havent run hares with the bitch yet but will catch the red ones real easy too just not to bright when she gets bit back but thats what his bull cross is there for, one thing i will say is his greyhound is like a steam train if theres a rabbit running through a fence she will hit it head on straight behind it very dull but extremely game, all the best :thumbs:

bit like its owners brother :thumbs:

• Like 2