Air rifle shooting. How it should always be....

pianoman

Dave you can PM me anytime and we'll have a day/evening of it my friend. Sounds like you've been through something rather serious. The more glad then to read of your return to shooting and getting back on your feet.

Why not bring your Grandson along and we can structure a coaching session around him. Once the potato harvest is in the fields here will do us just fine!

All the best for a continued speedy recovery Dave.

Simon

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentlemen.   I feel compelled to write on what has been a really wonderful shooting day I've enjoyed with Andy (AndyFR1968) and his two smashing lads on Andy's permission on Saturday this weekend. I

Awwww... Thanks, Simon, and thanks to all for all the other comments about my boys folks   They've been coming out and about with me for the last three years or so but these days I'm only with the

Good for you Pianoman. Without people like you there would be less youngsters coming into the sport.

Great stuff Simon.

I'd be over the moon to put a book by yourself next to my Hugh Falkus and Arthur Oglesby collection.

Thanks for all the compliments, very much apreciated :bye::D

I've probably said it before but when my interest in springer shooting rekindled after a long overdue abcence through work/ family commitments it was your original post on Spring air rifle shooting that hit my like a ton of bricks.

It was at this time i had restarted shooting again and armed with my newly aquired fac and a medley of rims and a .243.

I was going through the usual i want this and that and buying all sorts and planning how to deal with the vermin on the permissions, i admit i was taken in with the higher powered firearms at this point.

That one post though changed all of that and made me realise that if i can shoot my springer properly instead of just having the odd plink without going into the subject deeper, i was at last on the right road thanks to you.

That post is a revelation and it still leaves me with the hair standing on the back of my neck now, always will!

Its great to read your a happy man with your lass and i wish you 2 all the happiness in the world.

Looking forward to more food for thought on shooting from yourself sir.

Btw the hw80 is shooting not too bad but i've decided to get a better barrel for her as its action is silky smooth and it shoots dead on with my fac barrel fitted (tried it for an evening)

I'll remove the cut barrel when i have a replacement.

My plan is to devise a method of rechoking the old barrel using some form of purpose made collar that will fit over the muzzle and be crimped so as to resize about 30 mm of the barrel in a gradual taper to tighten up the pellets exit.

I'll let you know how it goes.

A quick question if i may?

Do you know if an HW85 barrel is interchangable with my 80?

If its a yes i may be able to purchase one and try it out.

All the very best my shooting big brother and friend.

Chris

Edited by thursodog

Hey Chris that's a wonderful thing to read. Thank you so much mate.

I'm quietly proud and not a little flattered that my writing has had such a profound effect. Particularly the more so from a man who clearly, knows his gunsmithing to a level of expertise in practical application as you do. And produced a greater appreciation for the good old spring rifle and what it can do. If you know how to coax yourself and it together, it's incredible how accurate these rifles can be at your shoulder; as you are well aware. And that's the beauty of them and air rifles generally. You don't need massive power, FACs, huge wealth or anything else to own a practical sporting rifle you can go out and enjoy a day's shooting, as much as the man with a £30,000 Purdy or priceless Holland & Holland shotgun.

With a good springer and the right ammo, and a bit of yourself into the equasion, you can be out in the fresh air and shooting away brilliantly without a hassle. That's something a lot of youngsters today would beneift in so many ways from, as it has for you and I and everyone else here who began when we were all kids.

There was so much I was trying to say in just a thread's space and now, to describe in a new book is a very exciting prospect. I'm no technical gunsmith as you are, but, I have a "thing" for how to shoot a rifle. For instance, a subject like 'air rifle harmonics'; that wonderful tipping point when you find a certain sweet point when your technique and the rifle's firing characteristics comes to perfectly harmonise together and both you and 'it' gel together. During my miltary service years I found that all full-bore cartridge military rifles "Bark" in a certain way and each one was different to the next. Bolt action rifles are particularly individualistic, a little more so than semi automatics. A spring air rifle is no different here in how it barks or cracks or "sings", as I call it when a great shooting rifle gels with you, as opposed to a PCP action. But the difference is very profound.

It's nothing to do with actual power but the calibre I think, and how the action works on delivering its charge of air behind the shot to the target as you control it from your shoulder. .177 has a snappier crack to it than .22 that has a larger skirt diameter to shift! One of the reasons why I like both in my collection. There are techniques of hold that help the shooter find these perfect points and these are something I need to focus on as a writing challenge.

That's the thing I have about PCPs they seem to have had this bit of character removed in the quest to produce a recoilless rifle action. Thus requires less from the human element to shoot accurately than a spring rifle does.

But, truthfully, they are a fantastic development in air rifle evolution and have given accurate shooting to millions who might never have possessed it any other way.

Thank you once again mate.

And it looks like Andy has beaten me to the draw here! Yes! to your question....Like what he said!

Warmest best wishes Chris.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Many thanks mate.

I choked the barrel of the 80 yesterday using a purpose made collar a fraction smaller than the barrel , heated the end of the barrel and crimped it in my reckord vice.

It certainly choked the barrel but did nothing for the accuracy, so i cut of the choke, recrowned the barrel and it groups well at the 30 to 50 yards but still has the bloody annoying shooting to the left of target at 15 yards.

Tha barrels now 8" long and is not nice to shoot, tends to snap up, the point of balance is at the trigger and i don't like it.

I'm going to get a new barrel for the recondioned 80 now and use it for some lamping over the next month as one of my perms is crawling with bunnies.

Incidently my 2 lads and i were doing some target practice on Friday evening , the oldest was scarily accurate with the V-mach tuned 97k with our newly aquired Hawke Nit-eye scope (fantastic scope).

I decided to let him loose on a couple of rabbits.

The first bunny was sitting at 25 yards, i lamped for him and he stuck a .22 through its brain from the landy passenger seat.

The look on his face was a picture.

The second one was at 32 yards and we heard the loud crack of the ftt pellet smacking through its skull right on target.

We were all over the moon for my boy and on the way home he declared he was going to practice so hard with his 97 as one of his ambitions is to win the shooting competitions at the Air Cadets where he has began training over the last couple of months.

This 97 is so smooth and unbelievably accurate.

I'm getting better groups on a good night than i ever did with my now departed Titan pcp.

The hours at the targets are melting away and they never seem to get bored of it.

I decided to give the RWS Super Fields a go in my fac 80 after you mentioned them, they group great and boy what a thump they make when hitting the target.

I shot a tin yesterday afternoon and was hitting my dots with great confidence by the end of the session.

Had a sore right arm this morning with the cocking effort, lol.

Its funny though as my fac 80 needs about 20 pellets at the start to shoot good, its cold up here so i'm thinking its the internals warming up and i've decide to put 20 or 30 cheap and nasty pellets though it before i hunt in the future.

Thanks for another sage like post, it all makes perfect sense when i read your stuff and i just kinda get it even though my shooting ability is limited at the moment.

Onwards and upwards for us all.

All the best mate. :thumbs:

Chris.

P.S I've sorted the 80 completely with a new barrel and gotten rid of the shite scope that was on it (Nikko Sterling Mountmaster 3x12-crap) and fitted an old Bushnell Banner 6x18-56 and i'm getting excellant results out to 60 yards, look out bunnies here i come.

A happy chap with the latest springer at last, would have been cheaper buying new but hey ho its a tack driver at last. :thumbs:

Edited by thursodog
  • Like 2

Hi Chris.

Brilliant to read what you've done with this HW80 mate. I'd absolutely love to shoot with it for a spell. Glad to read you are finding the desired result with the RWS Superfields. Are they as slack fitting in your barrel breech as they are mine? Still, they really do fly well and hit like hell at this sort of oomph! Superb hunting round for the rifle that's certain.

Reading about your boy's ambitions on winning the Air Training Corps shooting competitions is heartening. We still have young people who want to make something with worthwhile organizations like this. That reminds me vividly of my time as a 13-14 year old winning my cadet marksman's rifle badge and shooting competitively for my Squadron (2460 Pontefract.). I won the regional ATC marksmanship challenge trophy with an Enfield SMLE re-chambered for .22 at RAF Church Fenton and full .303 at Bisley for the ATC inter-Squadron championships. We won it once, in 1971 too. (Jesus, it seems like just last week!)

I had the happiest of childhoods and the ATC were a huge part of my boyhood. I really hope your lad gets out of it, as much as I did.

Warmest best wishes mate.

Simon

this thread is inspiring, it really is.

I am honored to have been mentioned in it. certainly without Simons help I would not still be working on my shooting as I am now.

I am in the position of not having a father who can teach me these skills, ( Doubt he could hit a batn door from 2foot :) )and my grandfather is unable to get out into the fields to mentor me.

I am still developing my shooting, but yhanks to the help I have recived from the members on this forum, I am now able to start passing on what I learnt thus far. A big thank you to all of you from me is in order, so thankyou to sll of you.

Simon, I was honoured that you took the time to take me to your permission and trusted me to do so, especially trusting me to yse your own rifle for a few shots as you did, knowing what that rifle means to you.

so chaps, a big thankyou to all that have helped me during my time on this forum, and thankyou fornot dissmising all youngsters as yobs and hoodies.

Oh and Simon,Put me down for a copy of that book if you please ;)

keep it up ladsand lasses, we all really appreciate it.

sorry if there is bad spelling or grammer in this post, im typing it on my phone....damn touch screen technology..

regards and best wishes

Dean

Edited by deano26

this thread is inspiring, it really is.

I am honored to have been mentioned in it. certainly without Simons help I would not still be working on my shooting as I am now.

I am in the position of not having a father who can teach me these skills, and my grandfather is unable to get out into the fields to mentor me.

I am still developing my shooting, but yhanks to the help I have recived from the members on this forum, I am now able to start passing on what I learnt thus far. A big thank you to all of you from me is in order, so thankyou to sll of you.

Simon, I was honoured that you took the time to take me to your permission and trusted me to do so, especially trusting me to yse your own rifle for a few shots as you did, knowing what that rifle means to you.

so chaps, a big thankyou to all that have helped me during my time on this forum, and thankyou fornot dissmising all youngsters as yobs and hoodies.

Oh and Simon,Put me down for a copy of that book if you please ;)

keep it up ladsand lasses, we all really appreciate it.

sorry if there is bad spelling or grammer in this post, im typing it on my phone....damn touch screen technology..

regards and best wishes

Dean

• Like 1

I really think that Simon's touched a nerve with quite a few folks on here.

It's made me more aware of how lucky I am that I've been brought up the way that I have been by my own Dad and how fortunate I am to be able to pass on my own experiences to my boys.

There's the sad fact that if our younger generation don't appreciate what we have then what we have will be gone through legislation and ignorant bullshit by folks who have little or no understanding of how things really are.

• Like 1

Dean it was a genuine pleasure dear lad. Sincerely now.

You are a credit to your mum who's raised you right and a fine ambassador for young people in the sport and that cannot be emphasised enough, just how important is the role that you and the good lads and lasses like you, play in the future of shooting in Britain.

Should you wish to spend more days out with me you only have to ask. If I'm around, my time is yours my young friend. I promise you.

There are some amazingly kind and generous men here who will help you with an answer or a practical solution to any problem you may have. My pal Andy (AndyFR1968) is a very knowledgeable tech-guy who tuned and honed my HW77 to the sweetest, smoothest cocking and shooting cycle.

You only have to read Chris' posts regarding his work on his own HW80 here, to realise what a formidable gunsmith's knowledge he must possess to carry out the level of work he's been doing. Si Pittaway and DavyT63 are just two among the finest lads in shooting I've ever met. Most of them are here, contributing to this forum. Before you know it, you'll be doing the same with the knowledge you will possess further as you grow in greater experience.

And even then, let me assure you, you will still be asking and learning by the example of others who will always show you something new. You will never stop learning the art of shooting. No matter how many books get written.

Now, who is publishing sporting books, like one I could write an outline precis to, and get some interest?

Thanks for your kind compliments mate. Appreciate them my son of a gun!.

Simon

Hi Andy (I was just telling Dean about you!)

Seems that way. I'm rather proud if that is so for, it seems to me, there are so many young folk who are in deep trouble with being rudderless and nobody in officialdom has a bloody clue what the solution is.

Shooting was always seen as a great maker of self-discipline which built character and self-reliance to my generation. And without brow-beating and belittling youngsters like they are dim buggers with nothing to offer.

Even the worst of them were not born to be morons, they were made that way; by the very people who had a supposed duty of care to them. Useless bloody schools, pathetic parents who aren't fit to keep a dog let alone bring another life into the world. And then there's the bloody right-on anti-shooting brigade who haven't an ounce of common sense between them.

If I had my way, shooting and correct gun-discipline as an educational sport would be on the school syllabus. Maybe that would foster a greater appreciation for society and life and limb than all the Health & Safety executives put together.

Simon

• Like 2

How very kind Simon.

I would really love to have anothers day shooting with you if

you would be so kind as yo have me

and of course if you ever have a spare moment.:) A pleasure!

Thankyou for your kind words.

Andy, so it was you who tuned simons rifle? May I be so bold as to ask how much your services woud be to do my own 77k?

I belive that when it was serviced it had an ox mainspring installed :(

Mine is not quite so new as Simons though!

Shes getting spoiled is this HW of mine, new scope soon and maybe a tune.

Then maybe a new stock to finnish her off :)

Regards

Dean

Hi, Dean.

It's a bit of a difficult one this. I'm not an RFD, I'm just a bloke who's worked as a gunsmith many years ago and now enjoys tinkering with my own guns and I look after Simon's and a few other friend's guns too.

What I will say is that if you can get yourself, your rifle and a service kit over to me in Leeds, I'll do it for you while you're with me, set it up over the chrono and you can treat me to a pint afterwards. It'll take a couple of hours at the most, all being well.

• Like 1