Air rifle shooting. How it should always be....

pianoman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentlemen.   I feel compelled to write on what has been a really wonderful shooting day I've enjoyed with Andy (AndyFR1968) and his two smashing lads on Andy's permission on Saturday this weekend. I

Awwww... Thanks, Simon, and thanks to all for all the other comments about my boys folks   They've been coming out and about with me for the last three years or so but these days I'm only with the

Good for you Pianoman. Without people like you there would be less youngsters coming into the sport.

Awwww... Thanks, Simon, and thanks to all for all the other comments about my boys :victory: folks :D

They've been coming out and about with me for the last three years or so but these days I'm only with them every second weekend (thanks to their f*****g mum :censored: ). They love all aspects of fieldsports, not just shooting and they love the countryside. I'm very proud of them and I know I'm very lucky to have two such well disposed kids considering what f**k ups me and their mum are :laugh::D Whatever differences we have, however, good manners, decent behavior and respect for others have always been instilled in them from us both. As well as an ability to think for themselves and not follow the herd.

Oscar's 13 and Toby's 10 and they are my reason to be. Simon had so much time and respect for them it really did move me. They had a fantastic day as did I.

Thanks again, Simon, for giving them your time as that's something that can never be replaced :thumbs:

We're looking forward to doing it all again soon.

Cheers. :victory:

• Like 5

Thanks Froudy and tomburras. Very kind of you Gentlemen to say.

Andy. Hi.

Your boys are two smashing lads. I loved to be spending time with them and talking to them. They definately have the makings of seriously talented shooters. It was a genuine pleasure for me. Thanks for letting me share in your quality time with them mate.

Love and best wishes you three!

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks, Simon :thumbs:

My Dad was a PT and small arms instructor in the RAF Regiment and it's him who gave me my respect and fear of guns and that's what I've always tried to pass on to my boys.

He's 83 now and sadly can no longer come out with us. I'd like you to meet him some day, you'd have a lot to talk about.

Until next time :thumbs:

Andy.

Absolutely inspiring.

Simon your a true gent as well as a genius with a rifle.

I really enjoyed this thread and although i was never lucky enough to have a Dad who bothered withme ever, apart from constant bollockings for next to nothing i've been lucky enough to have 2 wonderfull boys of my own who love spending time in the country shooting and fishing with me.

My biggest ambition is to have them looking back with pride at their Dad as you guys do.

Everythng else pales compared to this and reading these kinds of posts fills me with renewed faith in human nature and a real goal in life putting things like careers and personal gain well behind working at being a good Dad.

Thanks for the great read.

Inspired!

All the very best.

CW

• Like 3

Thank you very much indeed Chris.

I feel sad to read how your father so treated you. Anyone can be a father. It takes something else quite entirely to be a dad.

But, you are a man of your own now and wise enough to keep his methods of parenting out of influencing your own ways of living and doing things with your sons. And that's a mark of your personal character strengths. :thumbs:

I was so lucky. I had a loving dad who loved his shooting and his three sons enough to share it with them. We camped, fished and shot throughout the long summer hols. I took to shooting, stalking with a rifle and fieldcraft in a huge way very early on; but, my two younger brothers settled for fishing.

Alas the Gods did not bless me with children of my own. I had two marriages to partners who either wouldn't or couldn't! I had a sort of stepson relationship with a former girlfriend's boy who lost interest with impatience to hunt without the hard work of developing marksmanship with practicing on targets and learning properly.

So, I have no sons to pass my knowledge on to. Until now when Andy's boys Oscar and Toby have, thanks to their dad, reached that crucial point where shooting and country sports have taken root in their characters.

So, when we go out shooting together again, they will, with Andy's permission, be my 'surrogate sons' and I'll pass on all that I have learned and used from my own dad. Plus a few secrets, tricks. hints and tips of my own I've aquired along the journey! :thumbs:

I can think of nothing better in this life than for a father of sons to bond together with his boys than in precious hours spent like this. Treasure them always.

Thanks very much again Chris. Appreciate your responses to this my dear friend.

All the very best to you and your boys.

Simon.

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 3

Simon.

I feel you have many sons and your also a big brother to many of us here on this forum.

Your no nonence approach, technical expertise, passion and generosity shine through and i consider it an honour crossing paths here.

Many thanks for the kind words, these days are all good indeed and i can't wait for the weekend to do some target practise with my loons.

Nobody stirs the spirit when talking about springers like you mate, you are to these wonderful guns to what the late great Hugh Falkus was to seatrout fishing in my opinion, long may your wise words grace these pages.

I'll be first in line for a signed copy at the book signing if you find the time to write it.

All the very best to you and yours my friend.

Chris.

Edited by thursodog
  • Like 2

Dear Chris.

Gosh... :icon_redface: Thank you indeed dear fellow. Hugh Falkus! Goodness me, I remember him well! My dad was an avid collector and reader of his books. A real gentleman and countryman. A great writer, sea angler and his assured narration of the "Undersea world of Jaques Coustaeu films on Sunday afternoon BBC telly in the early 70s had me spellbound.. And there I was, wondering if what I say or write here might sound like bullshit or, ruffle a few feathers by sounding a smart alec... I don't and I'm not. And there isn't a man or boy here I wouldn't spend time with to talk to and shoot with and call a friend.

Ive had young Deano on here spend a day with me and his HW77 and shown him a few long range techniques with mine I know he has soaked up and carries with him now. And I've been privaleged to have shot and hunted alongside Si Pittaway and DavyT63 and the fine lads and lasses I met at the Nottingham meet... But .my God but these boys here can shoot! The friendships Ive forged with Andy and his two boys. I have those dear lads to pass on my bit of technique. So, I think you are right there.

And there's your good self and reading on your restoration of that HW80. How's it doing by the way?!

I just love spring rifle shooting more than anything. And I mean anything. And passing on what bits I know will help a fellow out of a problem. And getting answers to my own queries when they arise. That's what it's all about! :yes:

I don't want foreign holidays in tropical sun, I have a wild and very beautiful woman in my life who is all I need. But I love to be with my shooting mates or on my own in my fields among the smells and scents of corn and barley fields, the hedgerows and wild flowers and the grasses perfumed in the evening cool after a warm day with my HW77, '80 or TX200. I just love to get out shoot and hunt with a spring rifle, dawn to dusk. As much as any other type of shooting I've done with every type and calibre before. A good spring rifle holds all the universal aspects of precision rifle shooting right there in a microcosm, and puts it right there in your hands.

There is a book yet to write and be written about this particular type of air rifle. And it would cross over to shooting a PCP rifle with better precision.

I've pushed myself and my obsession to the point where the characteristics of any spring rifle will reveal themselves in how it shoots and "speaks" as it recoils through my hands and at my shoulder. Often as not, it quickly tells you how the pellet is going to perform downrange and therein lies an uncanny accuracy. That's how I do it. Sorry if I sound weird to some here, but, put a spring rifle in my hands and I let it 'sing' over a few shots to tell me what it wants to do. Like a living thing. Even a cheap rifle has a song to sing. And if you know how to listen to it and feel it, you can hit a target over a hundred metres away! Doesn't matter what the calibre is. That's why I just love em to death! :yes: .

I will set me to work one day and write a book on shooting with a series of spring rifles as they are not all of a common feather. Differences of calibre, higher power FAC or sub-12ft/lb standard all have different characteristics in how they address the target in your hands. And why both performances are equal to hunt very effectively with There's also reasons to explore why some lads find that they can shoot brilliantly with one calibre; and not hit a sausage with another. :toast::icon_eek::hmm:

It's a zen thing maybe but, it's real enough. It certainly works well enough for me!

Thank you Chris for such wonderful kindness in your words. You've set me thinking now....

Best wishes and regards mate.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Simon, you have a writing skill second to none Ive just read this post pillar to post, love it because basically i am the same as you. I love to pass on my skills to other people who are interested, before i took up Air Rifle Hunting again i was a keen clay pigeon shooter for many many years. I shot competitively at the highest level at Down The Line, I've shot all over the country from one end to the other, my last serious competition was shooting in the world championship in 1994 at Mid Wales Shooting Ground. Their were 500 entrants from all over the world America, France, Spain and even from Australia, i did not win but just having the capability to be able to compete with these guys was enough of a thrill. But the best thing i ever did was when i spotted a young girls talent at my local shooting club, she was only seventeen raw and needed polishing up. I asked her if she would mind if i gave her some constructive criticism on her style to which she said i could, from that day on i would coach her every week at the club and within two years she had made it into the Lady's England Down The Line Team. She went on competing getting into the Team for a few years She was part of the Team that won in the home internationals in Ireland the exact year now escapes me but it made me so proud that she had done that with my help. Now i am bringing on my Grandson who is only 8yo shooting with the Air Rifle and he is an absolute natural he can put ten shots into the diameter of a 5 pence piece at 23 yards thats the length of my shooting area in my back garden, so just like you Simon i too like to encourage the young to shoot. there's no greater satisfaction than seeing them succeed: Dave

• Like 1

Dave Hi.

My God that is a fantastic read.

Clearly you have a genuinely solid shooting skill and a pedigree for shooting excellence and to have passed on that skill with such a performance from this young lady in return. That is a life-changing accomplishment a truly amazing reward for anyone with this passion of ours Dave. I am in awe of such accomplishment. That so positively changes the course of another person's life.

You know, she will remember you all her life and quote you to those she passes her skills on to. Your grandson the same. He is the age I was when my dad started to take me shooting with him and teach me how to shoot and stalk with a rifle. But to produce championship winning marksmanship... That has to be the finest reward a fellow can have for his time and knowledge.

A Castleford man you are sir! You are only down the road from me. Let's meet up and shoot together some time!

Best wishes Dave.

Simon

• Like 1

This really has been a lovely thread.

I guess that I take it for granted that my boys love doing the things that I love too. Maybe that's partly because of the fact that we don't spend much time together and what we do is special. I tell them often when we're out and about that what we do is something that most folks will never experience and I think that they understand that.

If our next generation doesn't learn to love and respect our way of life then I fear that the generation after them will never have the chance.

And just to add.... Simon, the rabbit I shot standing was helped somewhat by the fence post I was leaning on :laugh::D

• Like 1

Well Andy, I did observe your legs were upright and your bum wasn't on the deck where it normally is as you shoot! Still a bloody good shot Andy. No mistake!

There is every real danger that what you say here will come to be unless we do something to foster those same feelings, cares and passions we have for our type of sport, in the hearts and minds of the next generation that Oscar and Toby are going to be a part of. Though, looking at these two young lads, I have great confidence that they, in their turn. will carry the baton well when we've passed away. And it must follow there will be others like them too. They are out there now, getting out with their dads, their granddads and older brothers and finding their gun-legs!

A book written now with these people in mind, needs to paint pictures for even the most inexperienced novices and younger people to see and identify themselves with and their aspirations for their shooting by; and give them ownership of a great shot...then, explain how such shots are really accomplished. It's how to foster the enthusiasm to keep on reading and persisting in the practice field, without a dull lecture to have to wade through. And come up with an original slant that won't bore the more experienced and skilled shooter into a coma!

That's the approach I think needs to be worked on. But, it's forming in my head and I can see a good and readable book taking gradual shape.

All the best mate.

Simon.

• Like 1