Best ferret dogs

Her Litter to the Whippet all pups were coursed haired, slate blue, apart from Snowy who was white, no one wanted her because of her colour, they all wanted the blue dogs.

so i kept her, she went to Ayrshire where she was a well known dog.

The Whippet is 21 inches, he is only a year and a half,

ran him on all type of ground no problem with feet, he has good tight feet on him.

Ive know people say their feet is the only bad point but i spose its a lottery with how their feet will turn out. i spose plenty of road work and not running them too young will help but i dont think i can afford to chance it which is a shame cos i love whippets. Think as ill be living round here for a long while yet ill need breeding with proven good feet like something with a lot of kelpie or collie and saluki in it. saying that though, had no problems so far with the whippet chorkies feet lol

i think you are underestimating whippets feet lad, collie saluki will make f**k all difference as a proper whippet should have better feet than a dog tied to a barrel and sat on a quad all day/

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

good interesting stuff this thread, I have a whippet here and also a collie bull grey lurcher ( only 1/4 grey ) and although I wouldn,t change the whippet in anyway because she,s a right handy marking bushing dog If I had to choose I would go for the collie type everytime for general rabbiting aboot :thumbs:

ps, I,ve got my collie tinted glasses on at the moment :D

My bitch is a half bred and is still young but making a decent little ferreting dog. It is 1/2 bed 3/8 whippet 1/8 greyhound. Just a bit on the small side at about 18" but turned out smallest in the litter i think, i think they were mainly 21 to 23". My bitch was a little head strong but is settling down. Just wants to work all day. Never had any troule with her feet although they are not the tight type. My late father raced bwra whippets for years and they did not have great feet in my opinion, when you look at the good coursing line whippets they have far better feet. Just my own opinion but i think a 3/4 whippet with either 1/4 collie or bedlington would be a more easily handled, should be faster and have all the same hunting drive as a half bred. I will be going down the 3/4 bred route next time by putting a excellent working whippet over my bitch, will be using a bigger type about 22 or 23".

megs012.jpg

megferreting014_zps998bc335.jpg

• Like 2

My bitch is a half bred and is still young but making a decent little ferreting dog. It is 1/2 bed 3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound. Just a bit on the small side ate about 18" but turned out smallest, i think they were mainly 21 to 23". My bitch was a little head strong but is settling down. Just wants to work all day. Never had any troule with her feet although they are not the tight type. My late father raced bwra whippets for years and they did not have great feet in my opinion, when you look at the good coursing line whippets they have far better feet. Just my own opinion but i think a 3/4 whippet with either 1/4 collie or bedlington would be a more easily handled, should be faster and have all the same hunting drive as a half bred. I will be going down the 3/4 bred route next time by putting a excellent working whippet over my bitch, will be using a bigger type about 22 or 23".

megs012.jpg

what would you be using a ped or non ped. are there ped whippets that are 22/23 ?like the look of your little bitch. she was bred in my area. :thumbs:

My bitch is a half bred and is still young but making a decent little ferreting dog. It is 1/2 bed 3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound. Just a bit on the small side ate about 18" but turned out smallest, i think they were mainly 21 to 23". My bitch was a little head strong but is settling down. Just wants to work all day. Never had any troule with her feet although they are not the tight type. My late father raced bwra whippets for years and they did not have great feet in my opinion, when you look at the good coursing line whippets they have far better feet. Just my own opinion but i think a 3/4 whippet with either 1/4 collie or bedlington would be a more easily handled, should be faster and have all the same hunting drive as a half bred. I will be going down the 3/4 bred route next time by putting a excellent working whippet over my bitch, will be using a bigger type about 22 or 23".

megs012.jpg

what would you be using a ped or non ped. are there ped whippets that are 22/23 ?like the look of your little bitch. she was bred in my area. :thumbs:

my in-laws have 2 pedigree whippets and one is 22 tts while the other is 21tts both sisters I was also shown a whippet at the bath and west show and the woman said she was a pedigree whippet and stood 23tts (wether that was true I don't know) lol.

megs012.jpg

my in-laws have 2 pedigree whippets and one is 22 tts while the other is 21tts both sisters I was also shown a whippet at the bath and west show and the woman said she was a pedigree whippet and stood 23tts (wether that was true I don't know) lol.

Pedigree means nothing. Terriers were bred into whippets, greyhounds etc it may say so on paper but its the honesty of the breeder and what he says.

Yes I no but as darbo asked are there ped whippets that are 22/23? So I'm just saying these dogs are peds or classed as peds because of paperwork...wether they're genuine pedigrees I couldn't say. But the paper work they have got states that there pedigree so they must be :D

The whippets and their crossbred cousins, are fabulous at the ferreting game...

I've had a fair few over the years,.and they were always great fun, to be out with...

Their reflexes are second to none and I would always include a bit of whippet blood, in an other wise Collie/Greyhound mix.

megs012.jpg

i love half crosses,especially greyhound just that bit stronger.

megs012.jpg

Ped mate, hoping to use a dog that is local that is breeding good stuff i think it is 22" or 23". Could use my cousins racing champion non ped but i like the more robust frame of the ped type. When my father had the bwra racing whippets he was always getting foot trouble and that was running on a flat field. Other people will have different ideas but this is just my personal opinion. As said there is a fair few ped 22" whippets about.

megs012.jpg

Ped mate, hoping to use a dog that is local that is breeding good stuff i think it is 22" or 23". Could use my cousins racing champion non ped but i like the more robust frame of the ped type. When my father had the bwra racing whippets he was always getting foot trouble and that was running on a flat field. Other people will have different ideas but this is just my personal opinion. As said there is a fair few ped 22" whippets about.

thanks for the reply. my knowledge of whippets in general is limited. good luck with your future breeding. :thumbs:

megs012.jpg

I have been thinking a lot about which way to go, thought about a greyhound/whippet like deneside belle or love lockdown or shay or many others but as i only ferret i think probably a strong ped whippet would be better and the sire will be tested in the field which the racing types probably wont be. I am one of the people that think a good ped type whippet can be a great ferreting dog in its own right.