Best ferret dogs

i think the wee dog looks a belter ! in my experience some dogs are born with natural talents and abilities and the good dogs are the ones that get the practice and experience of being out there doing their job, if your as keen as you sound in a year or two this wee dog will have learned loads and be a cracking wee ferreting hound atb

• Like 1

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

I have to ask...how in the world do you guys break a dog to ferrets ? Especially one with a strong drive. My airedales would grab every one ,I just know it.

star when they're young easy really

stella042.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

and not just the dogs and ferrets

Image0058.jpg

is that pup out of jewel and todd mate ? as i got litter sister if it is pal :victory:

Whats the last dog? and is the black dog 100% whippet?

The last dog, is a collie x greyhound (3/8 5/8), and probably the best ferreting dog i have seen. She is eight.

The black dog is 100 % whippet (well, as 100% as any of the strong working whippets are), but i big, strong lad. He's two and a half and shaping into a good ferreting dog, although he works best 1:1, and is an excellent mooching dog.

The other two are a collie/whippet/grey (blueish brindle) and a line bred collie/grey x collie/grey (etc) (red brindle).

and can't forget the little dogs!

IMG_1906.jpg

Russel type terrier, great for covering holes in thick cover etc.

always really liked her :thumbs: ........if only a brother had survived :cray: ......jazz would be getting a welsh holiday :yes:

I have to ask...how in the world do you guys break a dog to ferrets ? Especially one with a strong drive. My airedales would grab every one ,I just know it.

star when they're young easy really

stella042.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

and not just the dogs and ferrets

Image0058.jpg

is that pup out of jewel and todd mate ? as i got litter sister if it is pal :victory:

sorry bud, the top pup is ripley x merlin a mates pup who's only 12 wks, the 2nd one is my 'belle' stan x greyhound she's nearly 2 and a big girl now

050.jpg

• Like 1

A better pic

post-74321-0-84947200-1348416049.jpg

Quite an interesting little thing, never mind the begrudgers give the mutt every chance and it might just make em eat their words

Cheers, i only got the ferrets cos everyone convinced me they were his only chance of some real sport but after seeing his first attempt on the lamp i think i should of trusted my own instincts a bit more. Considering none of them had seen him run and the few men that do work dogs had told me i should work him after seeing him run with their dogs. Dont get me wrong, i'm under no illusions that he'll be anything special but that was never my intention, if he gets a few when the conditions are good and the odd one when theyre not thats good enough for me. For now anyway, im sure ill keep working dogs all my life now.

And anyway with regards to making the begrudgers eat their words, they already should be cos according to them, he'll never be fast enough to catch a rabbit, too fragile to run in a field and probably wont have the prey drive to even chase a rabbit properly. Someone even said he couldnt catch a fly haha. And i'll have them know he's already caught AND killed a few flies!

Edited by crorider

A better pic

post-74321-0-84947200-1348416049.jpg

Quite an interesting little thing, never mind the begrudgers give the mutt every chance and it might just make em eat their words

Cheers, i only got the ferrets cos everyone convinced me they were his only chance of some real sport but after seeing his first attempt on the lamp i think i should of trusted my own instincts a bit more. Considering none of them had seen him run and the few men that do work dogs had told me i should work him after seeing him run with their dogs. Dont get me wrong, i'm under no illusions that he'll be anything special but that was never my intention, if he gets a few when the conditions are good and the odd one when theyre not thats good enough for me. For now anyway, im sure ill keep working dogs all my life now.

And anyway with regards to making the begrudgers eat their words, they already should be cos according to them, he'll never be fast enough to catch a rabbit, too fragile to run in a field and probably wont have the prey drive to even chase a rabbit properly. Someone even said he couldnt catch a fly haha. And i'll have them know he's already caught AND killed a few flies!

Sure the ferrets will be a usefull addition to the team as well, im getting my ferreting bitch started on thr lamp this season. Happy hunting.

a wee dog like this has the potential to be a cracking ferreting, bushing, marking type, and although i'm sure he'll get a few on the lamp and you'll get a bit of fun out lamping he's not tall enough or big enough to get regular big bags, get the best out of his natural attributes have fun over the next few years you'll both learn loads and have a ball doing it

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see the dog is performing. Is he still a full male? Aren't their any sisters?

17"tts, that's a nice size for over here. With something like this I could even tell the police/antis it's a smoushond (dutch schnauzer) I'm hunting. He looks a lot like one of those.

Edited by Bossie

for me a whippet is the best all round ferreting dog. no need to cross, quick of the start great stamina great all round dog pick rabbits up for fun day and night.

When am out i leave the bolt holes un netter for the dog gives him a harder catch in my opion. ATB

• Like 1

Whats the last dog? and is the black dog 100% whippet?

The rough coated bitch is my 3/8 collie 5/8 grey, a honest bitch, imo a good collie cur will take some beating at the ferreting game, they have the mental attributes you need for a good ferreting dog.

• Like 1

The dog really depends on the lie of the land ie where the warren is,my lurcher is great if the rabbit bolts into a field as she is a greyhound/deerhound /collie and very similar to greyhound looking so a open field means she will nail them if there is a lot of cover then she is not so good,i would cover every whole and let the dog nail them in the nets to get an idea of whats going on,bound to be some hidden bolt holes so she should get a run at a few...good luck and take no notice of the put you down society on here

• Like 1

Nice to see the dog is performing. Is he still a full male? Aren't their any sisters?

17"tts, that's a nice size for over here. With something like this I could even tell the police/antis it's a smoushond (dutch schnauzer) I'm hunting. He looks a lot like one of those.

yes he's still a full male. I was told the mother was chorkie which i saw her and she clearly was, but the dad was supposedly jrt, i saw him and he was a miniture short legged one. There were 2 pups left(12 weeks old), my dog and a bitch which looked how it was supposed to. Tiny little fluff ball whereas Timmy was already much much bigger than his supposed parents. Its pretty obvious to everyone thats seen him that his sire was a whippet so i think he's from a mixed litter.

post-74321-0-80678400-1349643271.jpg

post-74321-0-42183300-1349643326.jpg

These are what a chorkie can look like, would everyone agree that my dogs sire is whippet?

Timmypost-74321-0-48028600-1349643494_thumb.jpg

Must of been painful for the poor mother.. So in answer to your question no, there arent any sisters.

If you think the cross would be really useful for your country maybe you should find yourself a chorkie dog and a whippet bitch?

Edited by crorider