Best ferret dogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

This is mine, jrtxwhippet. Hes about five now and knows his business round a bury.

Love the look of that dog, you ever had him out on the lamp?

Yeah, he lamps well too. Not as fast top end as my other lurchers but agile as a cat and turns on a penny. He can everything a good lurcher can do pretty much.

• Like 1

This is mine, jrtxwhippet. Hes about five now and knows his business round a bury.

Yeah, he lamps well too. Not as fast top end as my other lurchers but agile as a cat and turns on a penny. He can everything a good lurcher can do pretty much.

Handy little dog then, how tall is he?

Handy little dog then, how tall is he?

21 1/2 tts

hello i am new to hunting life but i love the look of ur dogs in ur pics and woulnd like to no more about them thanks you ashley

heres mine :

more than happy with her progress. she knows the score and always wants to please.

turning into a good dog, day and night.

couldnt ask more of her.

post-62949-0-80360500-1350215141.jpg

post-62949-0-22753900-1350215189.jpg

post-62949-0-97505800-1350215292.jpg

Edited by Blue Pocket Rocket
  • Like 2

couple of my youngster. shes around 8/9 months old now and still very puppish. very quick and nimble.

just letting her be a pup until she shows me she is ready to go.

she wil be out in the next few weeks ferreting though.

post-62949-0-93497300-1350215679.jpg

post-62949-0-27071800-1350215698.jpg

post-62949-0-97456300-1350215754.jpg

Edited by Blue Pocket Rocket
  • Like 2

couple of my youngster. shes around 8/9 months old now and still very puppish. very quick and nimble.

just letting her be a pup until she shows me she is ready to go.

she wil be out in the next few weeks ferreting though.

both looking well mate :thumbs:

Whats the last dog? and is the black dog 100% whippet?

The last dog, is a collie x greyhound (3/8 5/8), and probably the best ferreting dog i have seen. She is eight.

The black dog is 100 % whippet (well, as 100% as any of the strong working whippets are), but i big, strong lad. He's two and a half and shaping into a good ferreting dog, although he works best 1:1, and is an excellent mooching dog.

The other two are a collie/whippet/grey (blueish brindle) and a line bred collie/grey x collie/grey (etc) (red brindle).

and can't forget the little dogs!

IMG_1906.jpg

Russel type terrier, great for covering holes in thick cover etc.

Love that little terrier you cant beat them for marking.

Really hope I can get wifes cocker too be some sort of help.

Ferreting on your own with out dog is nightmare round here. Can manage the odd hole which as a rule is on the edge of 4 acre's

of gorse and bramble so is unlikely too hold any thing. Or you see rabbits hopping into nice clumps of briar's crying out too be put too ground

Oh well fingers crossed little guy has shear tomorrow so least he wont get stuck in the nearest hedge :)

Most dogs whatever breed can be twisted at an early age with the right circumstances to be interested in hunting of some sort.

Lets face it, men dont have anything to do with it, not far removed instinct kicks in and away you go, its the way a dog is programmed.

As to its ability, basic physique will tell you a lot, most dogs from a working background will catch rabbits by default fom time to time even though being hardly racy in shape, but makes me laugh the more for it!

A light speedy frame of any sort will fit the bill to catch, but this is where the complications start, stamina, speed and hardiness to the conditions are all factors people choose to work on with breeding, think your little dog will get a good few in his life given the chance, just go with it.

• Like 1

Old fashioned type, was a very well known Rabbiting Bitch,

Genuine first cross Whippet X Bedlington, photograph taken 30 years ago.

jp005.jpg

If i could find a bitch pup from a proper working stock beddy to a decent working whippet I'd be seriously tempted by it. What a decent looking animal that is