Best ferret dogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

Some proper nice looking ferreting dogs there, keep the pics coming! Still interested to know if there is an ideal type of ferreting dog. i.e. size and ability wise, or will any decent rabbit dog be as good as another if brought onto the ferreting game properly? Just wondering if the turning and bushing ability of a small dog will give it an advantage for catching bolters over a bigger dog?

For me personally in this neck of the woods I would want a good busher and marker that would be far more important than catching bolting rabbits

I would be happy with a dachund if it did that job well

I have nets for the bolting rabbits part

We have nets to, but only two hands! You lay 50 nets down a long a long hedge or 100 + on a banking, and have lots of action, and a dog pinning them in the nets and grabbing those that slip, is a fecking godsent, running and diving for the rabbits is too much like hard work!

• Like 1

Lol yea I see what you mean there but a terrier could do that job. My point is a good bushing marking dog would be my priority and catching bolters and net slippers a low second. Horse before the cart and all that :)

But that is just my opinion there is no right and wrong so long as your happy who cares :)

I have neither at the moment just pet cocker spaniel who is a food obsessed over excitable nutter but we love the git anyway