david hancock lurchers

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borderscott,I do keep plummer type terriers amongst others ,I thought I'd put a few pics in to brighten your obvious dull existence living in sh*tsville,I know you don't get out much so here's a few m

Away back....before the internet was in the ken of normal mortals....Blake Farm was probably a bit rough and ready.....but ye made yer choice, paid yer money and fecked off home....nowadays it's certa

I pointed several folk towards both the Welsh litter and Magpie's pups and another litter on here a while ago which escapes me now...........   One fella who sent several PMs in his 'long and fruit

Posted Images

Why go to him for a 3/4 bred mate? Enough folks breed that cross themselves that way it would be off crafters, or at least 1 and a grey? I can see point in going to him for a half, as even homebrew halfxs are usually bred out non workers, so it's a gamble, but to go to him for anything past the half is madness imo as you will get homebrew litters of same or similar cross...

• Like 1

correct me if I am wrong (beginner) but do you not get out of a dog how much effort you put in to it ( working parents or not)

cheers relic2

You own a company, you need to employ somebody for a job, you can either get a guy that not only is willing to work but also his dad, grandad and so on where all in same trade, or you got a guy that is also willing to work, but has never tried, heard off or knows anybody that does the job, who would you employ? No correct answer, only personal choice...

I seen some really good first crosses, as this type of Lurcher was very popular where I live.

Yes the Border Collies used were workers, but not Rabbits, they were out and out Sheep and cattle dogs.

The Greyhound Bitches were obtained from the local Flapping track, and I doubt they saw many rabbits.

The best Dog from these litters was usually bred again to an ex flapping Greyhound Bitch.

correct me if I am wrong (beginner) but do you not get out of a dog how much effort you put in to it ( working parents or not)

cheers relic2

You own a company, you need to employ somebody for a job, you can either get a guy that not only is willing to work but also his dad, grandad and so on where all in same trade, or you got a guy that is also willing to work, but has never tried, heard off or knows anybody that does the job, who would you employ? No correct answer, only personal choice...

the personal choice with most companies these days would be poles or latvians (notice i didn't mention croatians they certainly didn't do their job the other night :drinks::yahoo::yahoo: )

• Like 1

i,v never had a collie cross but have read all of this thread with interest as i think this cross could would probably do most things i,d like from a lurcher, ie hunt up, mark,retreive, catch etc. this add. was in our local paper this evening, border x bearded collie x greyhound x whippet pups,male £100,female £150,cheers plum !

Why go to Hancock rather than getting a pup out of two Hancock dogs that have been worked ..... Then you get the best I both worlds..... A dog bred the way you want from two tested parents..........

Do you think there is a difference between getting a Dog bred from 2 working Hancock dogs and a pup from Hancock out of a lining that previously produced workers?

Hancock produces working dogs. Fact. Does the fact that the parents are not tested really matter?

"Hancock produces working dogs. Fact. Does the fact that the parents are not tested really matter? "

The amount of pups he breeds in a year you will get some good, some decent and some shite, guaranteed. the average working dog man may only ever breed one litter, or possibly two in their lifetime to continue a line on or something.

So in reply to the earlier comment about breeding from proven workers, i would say yes its vital to breed from well proven dogs given the much smaller scale we are likely ( if ever) to breed, so it will increase your chances, tilt the scales a bit your way, of continuing to breed good working stock in the future.

Having said that, there is no guaranteed method of breeding good working stock, but there are ways of increasing the odds, worker to worker, sorry, proven over many seasons quality worker to the same again. just my opinion.

• Like 3

Why go to Hancock rather than getting a pup out of two Hancock dogs that have been worked ..... Then you get the best I both worlds..... A dog bred the way you want from two tested parents..........

Do you think there is a difference between getting a Dog bred from 2 working Hancock dogs and a pup from Hancock out of a lining that previously produced workers?

Hancock produces working dogs. Fact. Does the fact that the parents are not tested really matter?

Yes I do.

Worker ..... Is a broad term.

If the dogs he produces are shit hot.... And make the grade .....there will be litters out of them.....

Each gen should improve on the rest in theory.

P.s putting 'fact' after something doesn't make it true. Hancock breeds a f**k ton of dogs and some good men produce working dogs out of some of those pups.....

Now.... How come those dogs are not bred from rather than a return to the lottery.

And I'm not anti Hancock dogs as I fancy I might stick one over my bitch in years to come.....