webley sport .22

Hi lads,

One of my mates brought a rifle round to mine yesterday to have a plink with, he told me it was only a cheap market job and he bought it from a friend.

I took a few shots with it and its not bad, abit twangy needs a new spring and the trigger was a bit stiff.

Does anyone know anything about it? out of interest more than anything.

Said webley sport on it and made in spain?

.22 break barrel

and it had like fibre optic things on the foresight?

cheers all

just curious

regards

dean

Hiya Dean.

This might be an Excel or even a late model Stingray??? Really great little rifles those. Got a photo mate? Webley Sport was stamped on all their rifle for some years. Made in Spain??? Could be one made in the late 1990s early 2000s when they were making several models. The company made some truly superb spring air rifles of fantastic quality. I loved them as much as I now do German spring rifles.

The Axsor FX PCP was airgun of the year in 2000 Then, a piss-poor bunch of bullshit in suits conned their way onto the board and promptly wrecked the company to hell. And this was in good times! They lost Ivan Hancock and his team at Venom and continued with cheaper cost-cut components and eventually outsourcing manufacture over to Spain among other countries. If you got a good rifle, it was usually one among a batch of nish!

I would love to see Webley back where it belongs. All British and superb quality. Like it used to be.

Sorry for rant mate. But what happened to Webley makes my blood boil!

Simon

• Like 1

Hi simon,

Very interesting that as I know very little about Webley, so thank you.

As said it wasn't a bad little rifle, he's given it to his younger brother now so im trying to find some scope mounts that I had on a REALLY cheap rifle that I had, and mount a spare Simmons scope on it for him and take him out with me, and hopefully teach him abit of what you taught me and introduce another young lad into the sport. :thumbs:

I havnt got a picture to hand but im sure google will help me on that :whistling:

Is there anything that I can do with the trigger? its rather stiff :blink: and rather spoils it.

shoots well otherwise, I hit a 2.5 inch diameter scaffold bar at the top of the garden (circa 55 ft) shot after shot with the open sights, not exactly a record but I had a few cheap Chinese rifles that wouldn't do that, and ive never shot with open sights so I was happy with it :yes:

Looks like those in the links below

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy__sell/leisure__hobbies/hunting__sporting_equipment/air_guns/16624571/webley-sport-22-break-barrel-air-rifle/pic/2?rotate=0&count=10

http://www.bullybeef.co.uk/images/web2.jpg

Cheers all

Regards

Dean

This my dear lad, is, I think, an export Webley model, using an Excel action, made I'd say circa mid to late 1990s to early 2000s. It was made in both the UK and Spain and designed as a general plinking junior air rifle for the European market where power limits are different to ours. The UK version was called Excel and had a nicely proportioned sporter stock, much nicer than this one I have to say.

I had an Excel for some 6 years and it was a superb little air rifle when I fitted a Theoben GasRam into it. It was fantastic at clearing barns of feral pidgeons and the odd close to medium range bunny from the car window.

But it was a brilliant little rat rifle. I clobbered rats by the shedload with my Excel. I really regret selling it but, it funded my TX200HC and that's another rifle altogether.

You could get this up to sub-12 ft/lbs with a new spring alright but, there's nothing to be done about the trigger mate. That was the one let-down with this particular rifle. It's not too bad. Just that it wasn't adjustable and it felt a bit sticky going through let-off.

It was a genuine pleasure to have you over and do some coaching with me Dean. Glad to see you are passing it on with helping improve a novice yourself now. That's the spirit lad! :yes:

Best wishes mate.

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

Thank you simon, It was and is really appreciated :thumbs:

I must admit I am still trying to replicate the stick split at whatever stupendus range that was!

ive got really close with the pcp, buts that's cheating isn't it :tongue2:

I will get there, practice and more practice :icon_redface:

I'm wanting the 77k tuned when I have some spare cash, I think she deserves it :laugh:

found out that when it was serviced it was fitted with what I believe an ox spring :censored::wallbash:

Take care my friend, and thankyou for the information

Regards

Dean

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Hi guys,I know this is an old topic but I have one of these Webley sport made in spain rifles.Can some one clarify If a gas ram can be fitted to it as it has the same action as the Excel version or should I just 

scrap it and buy some thing decent:)

On 9/12/2012 at 18:50, deano26 said:

Hi simon,

Very interesting that as I know very little about Webley, so thank you.

As said it wasn't a bad little rifle, he's given it to his younger brother now so im trying to find some scope mounts that I had on a REALLY cheap rifle that I had, and mount a spare Simmons scope on it for him and take him out with me, and hopefully teach him abit of what you taught me and introduce another young lad into the sport. :thumbs:

I havnt got a picture to hand but im sure google will help me on that :whistling:

Is there anything that I can do with the trigger? its rather stiff :blink: and rather spoils it.

shoots well otherwise, I hit a 2.5 inch diameter scaffold bar at the top of the garden (circa 55 ft) shot after shot with the open sights, not exactly a record but I had a few cheap Chinese rifles that wouldn't do that, and ive never shot with open sights so I was happy with it :yes:

Looks like those in the links below

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy__sell/leisure__hobbies/hunting__sporting_equipment/air_guns/16624571/webley-sport-22-break-barrel-air-rifle/pic/2?rotate=0&count=10

http://www.bullybeef.co.uk/images/web2.jpg

Cheers all

Regards

Dean

If its like the webely hawk it should have a grub screw in the top of the air cylinder

at the back .

you can lighten the trigger or stiffen it by turning this one way or the other .

Or take the sears out of the trigger unit and polish them this will make for a quicker release time on the trigger

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

P290712_14.50.jpg

P290712_14.36_[01].jpg

P290712_14.33.jpg

P260912_14.26.jpg

On 14/02/2018 at 02:40, pianoman said:

If it is the same action and cylinder as the Excel, you can fit a Theoben gas ram I should think Paul. Take it to your gunship and check with them. 

Thanks Simon, thanks for the advice I'm to off to my local air gun shop tomorrow :thumbs: