Poor buggers

Guest Tyke

Has anyone ever had any problems with feeding ferrets food that had been shot with a shotgun?

Was talkin' to a lad the other day that had a litter of 6 week old kits that had died. :( Was told by the vet that their guts were full of lead shot, and that was the cause of death.

He did say that the pigeon's he fed them had been shot with no. 4's. I've fed countless amounts of pigeons to my ferret kits, with no probs at all, but all shot with 6's!

Has anyone else experienced any problems with feeding shotgun shot food?

Guest nastybilly

done it for years tyke, wi no probs and if a 8yr old and 7yr old ferret, i did loose a couple a few years back but, id fed them strags or ferral pigeons and i put it down to that, as other guys i new done the same thing and lost some of there stock..stick to woodies...there might be something in it if hes been feedin kits shot birds, that iv never done

Never had the problem myself!.....I just keep an eye on what any youngster eats, pups eat all kinds of things and throw up so I'm sure ferret kits can be just as much trouble given the chance, ...trouble with ferrets, they can't chuck up like dogs 'n cats so the foreign bodies have to pass through!

A mate of mine had 3 of his ferrets that had problems after being fed feral pigeon. Two of them died - his best workers - the other hob pulled through, probably because he was younger than the other two. I know for a fact he's now going to bin any ferals he shoots and stick to woodies.

A mate of mine had 3 of his ferrets that had problems after being fed feral pigeon. Two of them died - his best workers - the other hob pulled through, probably because he was younger than the other two. I know for a fact he's now going to bin any ferals he shoots and stick to woodies.

Since seeing his furts die malingering deaths, I haven't fed mine scrags either, I reckon it was a virus of some sort but he wouldn't take the dead ones for testing...so it's still a mystery....

Mind you, my tykes only get whats left of the woodies after I've taken the those juicy, lovely breasts off....hmmmmm......breasts..... :blink:

Owdarse.

Atherton Pest Control!!!

Bloody 'ell it's a small world ain't it... How's things over your neck of the woods?

ST never did say owt about coming up to Scottish Fair at Scone this year. Had a great time...

Had a bit of laugh putting on the ferreting display on Sunday in the main arena (lots of helpers from the SCF)... I think the spectators liked it, we had alsorts coming out of the rabbit holes: 2 rabbits, a hedgehog, a mallard, badger and to top it all off a duckbilled platypus - I must add that they were all cuddly toys 'borrowed' off my lurchers. Anyway hope to go back next year with a more polished display.

Helped out with PR and ferret racing on the Fri & Sat. The ferret racing was really great. We ended up with Scottish ferrets v English one. A few of my ferrets really kicked arse when it came to the racing... Demdike, my little poley jill, was a star went down the pipes like greased lightning. Paw Paw II was pretty good as well, he showed 'em how racing should be done.