Pigeon breast

the best we have found is Garlic, Coke, and red wine and leave the breasts over night. next day with mash patatos and reduce the marinade to form a gravey.

Coke?

yeah, coca-cola, its good.

makes a nice ham marinade an all.......

Can you tell me how you go about it please? Thanks sounds interesting.

there are loads around like the 1 below, best thing to do is start small and experiment, untill you find the mix you like best.

you dont wanna be marinading 2lb of meat and then finding you aint keen on the levels of 1 ingrediant, just divide the quantities equally and have a play with it.

2 TBSP olive oil

2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce

2 TBSP ketchup

1 garlic clove crushed

1 TBSP prepared mild mustard (powdered)

Salt and pepper to taste

1 1/2 cups coke or cherry coke

This is a great sweet marinade and is excellent on ribs and chicken. It can also be used for most other meats. The most important ingredient is the coke, you have to use regular coke (or cherry coke), not diet. It is the sugar in the coke that gives this marinade the ability to caramelize the food.

Combine all ingredients together and pour over the meat. Marinate for minimum 4 hrs. You can also score the meat with a sharp knife to allow the marinade to penetrate.

i like to cook my ribs / hams slow and covered, then baste, before grilling or firing in a real hot oven to crisp up the outside and really caramilise the surface, be carefull not to burn though.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

there are loads around like the 1 below, best thing to do is start small and experiment, untill you find the mix you like best.

you dont wanna be marinading 2lb of meat and then finding you aint keen on the levels of 1 ingrediant, just divide the quantities equally and have a play with it.

2 TBSP olive oil

2 TBSP ketchup

1 garlic clove crushed

Salt and pepper to taste

This is a great sweet marinade and is excellent on ribs and chicken. It can also be used for most other meats. The most important ingredient is the coke, you have to use regular coke (or cherry coke), not diet. It is the sugar in the coke that gives this marinade the ability to caramelize the food.

Combine all ingredients together and pour over the meat. Marinate for minimum 4 hrs. You can also score the meat with a sharp knife to allow the marinade to penetrate.

i like to cook my ribs / hams slow and covered, then baste, before grilling or firing in a real hot oven to crisp up the outside and really caramilise the surface, be carefull not to burn though.

Thank you mate!! Do you think this will work with venison?

2 TBSP olive oil

2 TBSP ketchup

1 garlic clove crushed

Salt and pepper to taste

Thank you mate!! Do you think this will work with venison?

only 1 way to find out!

like i said halve the quantities and give it a blast with a small piece.

you might want to replace the coke with red wine , that allways goes well with game..

Best way I find of getting the pigeon breast out is by breaking and twisting of the wings then my thumb under the breast bone and pull out, breast meat then comes out whole on the bone almost like a love heart shape. You can then pick and choose how you gunna cut the meat.. Puuuurfeeck :D

ATB

Rikki

I used to crown my pigeons too, until I realised I was needlessly double handling them. After all, you've still got to cut the breast meat from the crowns anyway.

These days I just bring the haul home, peel the skin back from the breasts and cut them out and discard the carcass. takes a minute.

I guess crowning is good if you want to leave the carcasses in the field- can't see much point other than that.

Best way I find of getting the pigeon breast out is by breaking and twisting of the wings then my thumb under the breast bone and pull out, breast meat then comes out whole on the bone almost like a love heart shape. You can then pick and choose how you gunna cut the meat.. Puuuurfeeck :D

ATB

Rikki

I used to crown my pigeons too, until I realised I was needlessly double handling them. After all, you've still got to cut the breast meat from the crowns anyway.

These days I just bring the haul home, peel the skin back from the breasts and cut them out and discard the carcass. takes a minute.

I guess crowning is good if you want to leave the carcasses in the field- can't see much point other than that.

I crown mine simply cause I sell what I can't give away, I let friends and family have theirs before I line my own pocket, and I believe that when you've crowned a pigeon you can't have picky butchers that won't take them because you haven't cut the breast out properly or it's too small, with crowning you see what your getting and all the cutting it up to you and how you want them :)

Rikki

Pigeon crowns do look very nice :yes:

I suppose my perspective comes from eating everything we get - the butchers and gamedealers never get a look-in. I forget that a lot of folk sell them on or give to family and friends (I do give some away occasionally, but usually as meals that are ready to eat).

I would eat pigeon breast if I could get over the taste of liver and that what I believe they mostly taste like. And I'm of the same belief as you, so I'd rather see them eaten by whoever then go to waste, I wouldn't shoot them if I knew no one would eat them or do something with em :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I second the cola ham!! We have it all the time a couple of onions help with flavor too!

2 TBSP olive oil

2 TBSP ketchup

1 garlic clove crushed

Salt and pepper to taste