practice with my new grinder . knife blanks from files

long time no post , simply because iv been getting better equiped , not made a knife in ages so thought i better get practicing with the new grinder etc . so here is the first iv done with it .

all made from files with some forging .

the results are pretty good i think ?

the big two are heavy duty thick files with a file work spine and belly one with sabre grind , and one with a "live " faulse edge .

they are super sharp and will be as good as i can get them before they leave .

there all designed to be used /customised etc

you could allways do the metiorite pattern on them with some nail varnish and acid if you wanted .

smaller two have false edges not sharp with variations of scandi grinds again sharp as ..

2012_0901practice0004.jpg

a few more pics to ilistraight detail etc . as you all know there are guys on here that will finnish them and sheath them if you want .

£35 posted recorded delivery for the big ones and £25 recorded post for the small ones .

2012_0901practice0010.jpg

2012_0901practice0009.jpg

2012_0901practice0008.jpg

2012_0901practice0007.jpg

2012_0901practice0006.jpg

2012_0901practice0003.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You shouldn't apologise for selling quality, hand crafted knives: it is just good to see so many people appreciating the work and creativity that goes into making these fine works of art.

well iv acid etched patterns into them now . same prices as before but look better now .

thanks less than 2 years iv been doing the knives consistantly , all thanks to the ressesion , i went bankrupt lost my busines and could not get work ! so instead of going mental i started to do this

thanks kev be a shame if they sit in my conservator forever !!

the one with the live faulse edge kev would make a great sticking knife , similar to what you where looking for a few months back . well any of the little two would and the one big bugger !

thanks kev be a shame if they sit in my conservator forever !!

the one with the live faulse edge kev would make a great sticking knife , similar to what you where looking for a few months back . well any of the little two would and the one big bugger !

I carnt see them hanging a bout matt they look realy good mate

wow thats a hard question to answer !!

i think the best way to look at it is to look more at the heat treating and tempering , very fine edge (sharp) and edge retention (how long it lasts ) are assosiated with harder heat treating and tempering , tool steels . o1 o2 d2 w2 w1 . there all high carbon and allow you lots of controll when you temper the blade , that can allow you to add spring temper to one area and super hard temper for say the cutting edge .

for heavy use out in the feilds you are gonna strugle to beat o1 and the other tool steels like w2 (thats what the above are ). in my opinion and others on here , if you have the budget and want stainles then its got to be some of the japanesse and europian powerder stainles steels .

440 stainles and 420 stainles which are really comenly used in production knive simply wont go very hard through heat treating hence why they never take much of an edge and why they never keep what edge you can get on them !!

i hope that helps abit ?

its a pretty big topic i think to cover and i only understand what i need to at this stage within it .

as a side note 420 stainles is cutlery grade stainles designed to not get very hard or sharp but with the intention that house wifes etc can put an edge on the kitchen knive with no skill what so ever with all thos gismos they sell for home edge honing, companys like leatherman use that steel on there multi tools .

a friend on mine has the top spec leather man tool and the blade is shocking , i get it to true razor edge once a week for him and its gone again the following week , i keep saying to remove the blade ane replace it with something proper quality !! but he dont want to so his loss ha

sorry i just read that and came acros like a bloody tit .

simple answer .

carbons steels (non stainles)

o1

w2 w1 (all files are made of this )

d2

they are all well trusted /tested blade quality and above !

stainles

rw34

s12 24c

vg10

and so on there all very high spec steels with equivelent price tags

and for the super rich , you have damasteel which is stainles damascus steel made from the leading steels in the pwder steel group (iv got some of it ha ha )

all the best , matt