Guest MOLLY

Just got my 1st push bike (as an adult) And have started to run the lurchers.

Any hints and tips.....like should i not run them to fast going downhill (cos thats the only time at the mo i can get any speed up :11: )

How long, how fast and how often?

MOLL.

Guest reload

The way i do it molly is start with small distances at a steady allmost slow speed, and build it up over a month or so. The speed of a slow bike ride is still alot better than on foot for the dog.

I dont have any training regime just take it steady. :D

Guest MOLLY
I would invest in one of THESE

will save alot of time ending up on yer ass or in the hedge :11:

Good idea but not for me, i like to hold the lead, i can tell exactly what the dogs are doing by the tension. And i can yank them back in towards me if they even thought i was gonna stop so they could wee :D

MOLL.

to build muscle and tone and to increase stamina a trotting pace is all that is neede anymore and you will be burning off muscle and salts which means the dogs will need more feeding to keep in condition then if you start to miss a couple of sessions the extra food will cause the dogs to be overweight then you will have to up the xcersise .... blah blah blah .... it all turns into a visiouse circle .... trotting ;)

Guest MOLLY
Hello Moll,

Sound advice from Socks with regard to the tempo, personally i would always do a couple of recce's on my jacks first, unexpected things (moto-cross bikes etc) can easilly catch you out whilst your feet are not on terra firma and five dogs would be a handfull for anyone.

Oneredtrim.

OMG... :no: , never with 5 dogs. Its just for the lurchers to get them fitter for next season. Did try Terra with the bike just to see what would happen. She decided she would rather kill herself by strangulation than go anywhere with me on the bike :yes:

Trotting is all i can manage at the moment anyway (unless its down hill :11: ) Tried the 2 lurchers together and they behaved brilliantly, take them somewhere 1st they can empty themselves and have a mad run about before on the lead and along the hundreds of cycle paths the council put in and no-one else uses :unsure:

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY

Does it matter what speed of trotting.......i tend to do a mixture of slow to fast (depending on the hills). Im doing about 2-3miles at present, and not every day. How should i increase this..weekly or fortnightly and by how much? The biking is in addittion to their usual exercise.

MOLL.