#31 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:38 am

Thank you timmytree.

No such arrangement was made i.e buying of positive words. If it were truly bad I could have returned it. It was rough out of the box, and i feared the worst, but was seemingly transformed after the application of the correct greases in the right places and a good few pellets down the barrel. Please see the careful wording regarding stripping down.

Regarding thunderbolts, i suppose good is relative to your experience and expectations. I had no prior experience of smks or zinc/air bullet pellets and had low expectations thanks to the general consensus. The group pictured was one of the best gained. Crosman premiers have proved better still (will follow up).

I approached this gun with an open heart and a mind free from preconceptions. It has found a place there. Not owing to supreme accuracy nor beauty but as something that does what i needed it to.

Thanks again for the more civil reply, I found it alot easier to respond to clearly.

#32 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:51 pm

A bit of elaboration perhaps....

Saturday 18th August 2012

The repulsion of the nut raiders continues. The SMK TH208 is at the forefront of this battle, the close to medium ranges of the woodland perfectly suiting the .22 calibre. I have switched the rifle to a trial diet of Crosman Premier Hollow points and the accuracy appears to be excellent.

Posted Image

I spied my tenacious adversary as I was entertaining our one year old. I prophetically mimed aiming and shooting the creature amongst the bouncing leaves saying the words "Daddy go Bang Bang", to which little one replied, with a most earnest look on her face, "NUM NUM!"

With my dearly beloved already making preparations for dinner, I snatched up the TH208 as soon as I was able and stalked after the marked animal.

The squirrel was relocated and one near vertical shot brought it down with such a thump, I winced in sympathy.
Posted Image
The SMK TH208 is proving to be a very capable tool.

Posted Image
A neat heart and lung shot, with mud staining the side he hit the mud.

Posted Image
The entry of the .22 pellet in the muscle.

Posted Image
Passing through the body and trapped by the tough skin.

Posted Image
The extensive clotting on the lungs with a dark hole betrays the cause of death.

Posted Image
Though minimal, the 'Hollow' point does show some expansion. It appears to be open to debate as to whether these pellet s truly increase impact trauma.

Posted Image Deformation from possibly the rib or a vertebrae.

Later in the evening I sniped a squawking squirrel approximately 30 yards away through a clear patch of wild ground. This ground was thick with thorns and despite shedding my own blood in the attempt to retrieve him, he was obviously intended to grace the plate of the woodland gods. As Trophy hunters say, "No carcass, No Kill".

Once again, the SMK TH208 has disproved its critics. If a rifle that kills cleanly and accurately is not good, I fear I may need re-educating.

I am very happy indeed with it.
  • Tron likes this

#33 Elliott

Elliott

Pro hunter

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:37 pm

Great post Mike, nice autopsy too very interesting
  • milegajo likes this

#34 Skot Ruthless Teale

Skot Ruthless Teale

SMK Skot

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:52 pm

yep good read that mate , cheers!:)

i shot a decent sized rabbit a few months back in some brambles, i was 99% sure i had got it. after about 20mins of slashing myself open in the bramble i gave it up as a "one that got away"
proper gutted aswell i dont like wasting rabbits :huh:

#35 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:06 pm

Cheers chaps.

We all know that 'smack' and tree rats don't generally roll off branches but this little blighter, I swear he aimed for the thickest bit!

#36 Mawders

Mawders

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:25 pm

Nah not disproved, it is after all a full power sub 12ft/lb air rifle. Any air rifle of the appropriate power can kill vermin. That was never in question. Still think it handles and feels like a bag of bolts. Good shooting though. As a sport and hobby I not only want a rifle that is powerful enough but one that is pleasing to the eye and feels and performs well.

It has a market for a starter rifle or someone wanting to plink in the garden, can't knock that.

Good shooting though. Interesting that the pellet hardly deformed.

ATB

Mawders

#37 secretagentmole

secretagentmole

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:57 pm

Unfortunately Mawfers it can be knocked into a cocked hat by the 60S. Walther barrel, walnut stock, genuine 2 stage trigger, Swedish spring (powerlok), the 60S is a very good value for money rifle as it is less than half the price if you shop around, it is also better known as the Webley Stingray Mark 2, I have just bought one of these for someone who really got their fingers burnt on a gun buying deal. The Hatsan is performing excellently, accurate from 6-30 metres, going to try and get him to go for the longer range spinners next time. He is using BSA hollow points in it, seems to love those pellets. My 60 likes the good old Crosmans, so we agree to disagree on ammo!

I also think the 60S looks better, being slightly more old school, but with identifiable wood stock!

Edited by secretagentmole, 18 August 2012 - 11:58 pm.

#38 bribri988

bribri988

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:36 am

looks a great gun and you have give it a great report keep it up :thumbs:
  • milegajo likes this

#39 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:03 am

http://forums.pigeon...4891-smk-th208/

Some good tips on getting the best from the 208.

#40 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:36 am

Ruger make good guns right?

http://www.woodfield...co.uk/Ruger.htm

Try spot the difference on the air hawk.

#41 timmytree

timmytree

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:23 am

Ruger make good guns right?

http://www.woodfield...co.uk/Ruger.htm

Try spot the difference on the air hawk.

Ruger do make good guns, they also, like many other big names, import cheap guns from elsewhere and rebadge them as their own offerings. Nothing unusual there although personally I detest that practice.
As Mawders pointed out, the 208 is a full power sub 12 so is certainly capable of killing at normal ranges.
Whether it's capable of hitting at normal ranges is a different matter, a very good shot may get the best from it but anyone else would struggle.
Maybe some pictures of groups at different ranges using the most accurate pellets would help, I wouldn't expect any SMK to give a group comparable to an Air Arms or HW springer, we all know that but the inexperienced shooters don't and they're the ones who will spend their money and end up disillusioned.
  • pianoman likes this

#42 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:06 am

It would be commercial suicide to endorse a product that is "a bag of bolts" i think we can agree.

Any clone of a diana 34 should hold promise.

When I get the opportunity, I'll post some groups up. I haven't as yet as I'm still trialling brands and allowing the action to bed in. I read on the thread link that H&N ftts and jsb's do well. Crosman have been good so far as well as thunderbolts, though i wonder if the light weight zinc would be easily affected by wind at longer range. Plus energy retention is an unknown variable. Norica Apaches have been excellent but they seem difficult to source.

Watch this space...

#43 milegajo

milegajo

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:20 pm

So here's a quick pellet test. By lying beneath a swing and a bush, I extended my range to 30 yards.

Posted Image

Including the flyer, this group measured .923" with the flyer excluded, just .404" !. These shots were taken prone.

Very very impressive. However...

Posted Image

The Thunderbolts which gave such good results at zero range opened up dramatically. Therefore, at best, I have to say these are good only for close range ratting 10-15yards.

Now my next test triggered a memory after revealing how very tight fitting pellets affect the rifles performance;

Posted Image

The Norica Apaches were second to the Crosman Premiers, and a bag of unmarked pellets that appeared to be RWS Superdomes were atrocious.
These tight fitting pellets brought on an awful twang (as do RWS Supermags in my HW95 I hasten to add). H&N FTT's are also tight fitting pellets, which are the ones Mawders was firing and are possibly the source of his "Bag of Bolts" conviction. I cannot recommend tight fitting pellets such as RWS or H&N's.

Hopefully two fronts have been satisfied by these findings, 'twang' and accuracy.

Cheers chaps.

#44 Mawders

Mawders

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:02 pm

Nah it wasn't the pellet used as I also used one of yours you had in the pot. The rifle is what it is. Whether that's classed as a good thing or bad thing depending on who you believe.

My advice is to anyone pondering one of these is to go and try one before handing over hard earned cash.

Even a gunsmith recently told me he wouldn't work on an smk, horrible things and you can't polish a turd.

Peace out lead fingers!

#45 Daz 7

Daz 7

The Nutkin Modeler

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:57 pm

Nah it wasn't the pellet used as I also used one of yours you had in the pot. The rifle is what it is. Whether that's classed as a good thing or bad thing depending on who you believe.

My advice is to anyone pondering one of these is to go and try one before handing over hard earned cash.

Even a gunsmith recently told me he wouldn't work on an smk, horrible things and you can't polish a turd.

Peace out lead fingers!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :yes: :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users