A Hunters Review of the SMK TH208 .22

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a simple man living a simple life, snippets of which I publish on my blog www.1nomad.blogspot.com.   The meat I and my family eat is procured from the wild, and I choose to hunt it with an air

Agreed Elliott but don't forget those people that read such thing and part with valuable money in this current climate only to be very disappointed.   I don't really agree with jumping into bed wit

I think I'd be overly dismissive and harsh if id given Tony Wall £500 for a hw95k only to have my mate hit a bottle cap i was missing with his not stage one tuned smk th208!   To answer your questio

Nah not disproved, it is after all a full power sub 12ft/lb air rifle. Any air rifle of the appropriate power can kill vermin. That was never in question. Still think it handles and feels like a bag of bolts. Good shooting though. As a sport and hobby I not only want a rifle that is powerful enough but one that is pleasing to the eye and feels and performs well.

It has a market for a starter rifle or someone wanting to plink in the garden, can't knock that.

Good shooting though. Interesting that the pellet hardly deformed.

ATB

Mawders

Unfortunately Mawfers it can be knocked into a cocked hat by the 60S. Walther barrel, walnut stock, genuine 2 stage trigger, Swedish spring (powerlok), the 60S is a very good value for money rifle as it is less than half the price if you shop around, it is also better known as the Webley Stingray Mark 2, I have just bought one of these for someone who really got their fingers burnt on a gun buying deal. The Hatsan is performing excellently, accurate from 6-30 metres, going to try and get him to go for the longer range spinners next time. He is using BSA hollow points in it, seems to love those pellets. My 60 likes the good old Crosmans, so we agree to disagree on ammo!

I also think the 60S looks better, being slightly more old school, but with identifiable wood stock!

Edited by secretagentmole

It would be commercial suicide to endorse a product that is "a bag of bolts" i think we can agree.

Any clone of a diana 34 should hold promise.

When I get the opportunity, I'll post some groups up. I haven't as yet as I'm still trialling brands and allowing the action to bed in. I read on the thread link that H&N ftts and jsb's do well. Crosman have been good so far as well as thunderbolts, though i wonder if the light weight zinc would be easily affected by wind at longer range. Plus energy retention is an unknown variable. Norica Apaches have been excellent but they seem difficult to source.

Watch this space...

So here's a quick pellet test. By lying beneath a swing and a bush, I extended my range to 30 yards.

IMAG1398.jpg

Including the flyer, this group measured .923" with the flyer excluded, just .404" !. These shots were taken prone.

Very very impressive. However...

IMAG1399.jpg

The Thunderbolts which gave such good results at zero range opened up dramatically. Therefore, at best, I have to say these are good only for close range ratting 10-15yards.

Now my next test triggered a memory after revealing how very tight fitting pellets affect the rifles performance;

IMAG1400.jpg

The Norica Apaches were second to the Crosman Premiers, and a bag of unmarked pellets that appeared to be RWS Superdomes were atrocious.

These tight fitting pellets brought on an awful twang (as do RWS Supermags in my HW95 I hasten to add). H&N FTT's are also tight fitting pellets, which are the ones Mawders was firing and are possibly the source of his "Bag of Bolts" conviction. I cannot recommend tight fitting pellets such as RWS or H&N's.

Hopefully two fronts have been satisfied by these findings, 'twang' and accuracy.

Cheers chaps.

Nah it wasn't the pellet used as I also used one of yours you had in the pot. The rifle is what it is. Whether that's classed as a good thing or bad thing depending on who you believe.

My advice is to anyone pondering one of these is to go and try one before handing over hard earned cash.

Even a gunsmith recently told me he wouldn't work on an smk, horrible things and you can't polish a turd.

Peace out lead fingers!

Nah it wasn't the pellet used as I also used one of yours you had in the pot. The rifle is what it is. Whether that's classed as a good thing or bad thing depending on who you believe.

My advice is to anyone pondering one of these is to go and try one before handing over hard earned cash.

Even a gunsmith recently told me he wouldn't work on an smk, horrible things and you can't polish a turd.

Peace out lead fingers!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :yes: :yes:

Evidently this is a 'marmite' product.

Facts, rather than opinion and hearsay are:

It hits and kills small game.

It gives sub inch groups at thirty yards with Crosman Premier Hollow Points.

I view the above as good. I view the gun that did it and the features it possesses as good. I offer the reader my experience.

Definitely try before you buy and most certainly shop around as with any and all purchases involving a sizable sum, be open minded and don't necessarily believe all you hear/read. We're all different. A gun club or other gathering of enthusiasts is possibly the best arena for impartial views and advice.

Edited by milegajo

Good review and write up Mike,I found nothing in your impression of the rifle being more than it was, some of the comments were more than unfair, doubters should realise you didnt claim amazing performance or power over huge distances, the problem with air weapons is like cameras, some people believe if its not the most expensive then it cant be any good!. keep up the good work, if doubters dont believe your statements then tough, who cares? they dont pay your way through life Give them the mental finger. Good luck. :victory:

• Like 1