How much for a stalk ?

Take a few members out on your free deer,with no costs , the penny will soon drop :thumbs:

Yes Ray I understand where you are comming from I am not advocating a free for all, and I have never once suggested that charging a stalking fee/carcass fee was wrong,so let me ask you,lets say a novice with his first cf rifle pays you to take him out foxing for the evening,do you charge him for the shot then,if he has one?if not why not?is it your altruistic nature kicking in or is it that you know even the biggest mug on the planet could not be conned into paying for pulling his trigger on the humble fox,but do enlighten us mate,I look forward to your reply?

There are so may different scenarios to this, & so many other comparisons i cannot speak for all, i can only say our fee's are reasonable,hence the bookings we have. We would consider a one fee charge or shot fee which ever suits the paid session, if asked & a contact is signed as such.

As for fox v's deer. I know the venison is more palatable ! :laugh: & anyone who manages foxes throughout the year are on a looser.

What ever suits the enquiry /paid stalker, they have the choice. Maybe larger estates or free roaming unmanaged deer paid days can answer that fox querie for you.

We personally feel we encourage any shooting field sport along safe guide lines & not put interested parties or persons off the sport, as many new licence holders can vouch .

ATB :thumbs:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll confess I took folks out for the money and no other reason (thats how a business works as aposed to a charity) and quite honestly if it weren't for being paid I wouldn't have wished to spend anot

I to am lucky to have some good stalking ,although a lot of the luck is brought on by hard work & doing a proper job for the people I stalk for (the last 4 sat mornings I've been fencing ,with 4 m

I guess there's good and bad "clients" though, some are sound and worth helping and some just aint worth the time and some are just well they just have no bloody luck at all lol

But surely Ray,the edible nature of deer compared to fox is not the issue?after all is not a similar outlay in time,fuel,vehicle wear and tear,and taking up personal time involved taking a man foxing,as apposed to stalking,ok we are not shooting deer at night,but other than timings what is the real difference?I would say very little to be honest,they both involve a similar amount of time/effort,and financial input,so why not charge him to have a shot at the fox?not an unreasonable question I think,just to make things crystal clear I am talking about a shot fee,as apposed to a carcass fee,which I have already said is fair enough if the man wants to keep the venison.

• Like 1

But surely Ray,the edible nature of deer compared to fox is not the issue?after all is not a similar outlay in time,fuel,vehicle wear and tear,and taking up personal time involved taking a man foxing,as apposed to stalking,ok we are not shooting deer at night,but other than timings what is the real difference?I would say very little to be honest,they both involve a similar amount of time/effort,and financial input,so why not charge him to have a shot at the fox?not an unreasonable question I think,just to make things crystal clear I am talking about a shot fee,as apposed to a carcass fee,which I have already said is fair enough if the man wants to keep the venison.

We have non of the outlay you mention in fox outing, others may perhaps ? We can assist with the lamp or calling.

We have non of the outlay you mention in fox outing, others may perhaps ? We can assist with the lamp or calling.

Really,so do you not have to travel to and from foxing ground,does the vehicle only use fuel if you are going stalking,perhaps you are driving round your extensive permissions foxing,extra fuel,and wear and tear on the vehicle,maybe you wanted to go out for a pint that night,but work is work eh?so I dont see how so much expense is incurred taking a man out stalking as apposed to a nights foxing,surely you are not feeding the deer so much that feed costs are taking a heavy toll on your pocket?do explain the obviously huge cost differences,in taking someone stalking for 4 hrs say compared with foxing for a similar period of time.

What have I started? Sorry folks but its good to see how opinions vary.

Unless the novice likes of myself and others get the chance to take a shot, Gralloch, etc then if an offer for land comes my way, how will I know what to do.

It's seems that a few people seem more interested in charging people they refer to as "clients" to line their own pockets when they themselves were either invited onto the land or asked for permission to be there in the first place.

So the future stalkers are either having to buy days, buy syndicates or wait until dead mans shoes happens.

:)

• Like 2

What have I started? Sorry folks but its good to see how opinions vary.

Unless the novice likes of myself and others get the chance to take a shot, Gralloch, etc then if an offer for land comes my way, how will I know what to do.

It's seems that a few people seem more interested in charging people they refer to as "clients" to line their own pockets when they themselves were either invited onto the land or asked for permission to be there in the first place.

So the future stalkers are either having to buy days, buy syndicates or wait until dead mans shoes happens.

:)

You have it about right there mate,and with the rise in popularity of stalking,it is probably not going to improve over night,but take heart there are still some decent lads out there,among with the rip off merchants.

A shot fee is more than just a shot 'fee'. Some stalker guides have a built in cost , others allow for novices.

1- It assures the paid stalker no shot present , no fee unless comfortable with the zone etc ! A £'s saving

2 - More alertness / pressure is on the guide to point them in the right direction, for success .(After all most clients on the stalk don't know the grounds & some wouldn't have a clue let alone spot a shot, or even take the wrong deer with extra £££'s to pay possibly !)

3 - Assures the guide, care is taken to drop the shot , more accurately within the paid hunters capabilities, not an unsure 100's of yds away

4 - The day is a better success , with concentration & not chatting , boasting etc throughout the session. :icon_eek:

5- Some larger estates encourage breeding for deer to be healthy, & of good size & managed correctly, to a programme. This is on a well balanced diet & mineral supplement that costs although the deer are wild & free roaming they find what they need through the winter months, the benefits are very apparent also .This costs £££'s , On the other hand some estates /areas deer are a nuisance & need to be culled, through interbred genes & significant damage they cause to crops , they wander, damage & do what they do with no real input, hence the poor quality of the animal .

I reiterate my statement earlier I will NOT pay anyone to pull the trigger of my rifle, I have not gone out to look at blue bells and butter cups I have gone out with the sole purpose of shooting a deer.

The obvious outcome of this quest with any luck will be for me to fire my rifle so I am perplexed with the notion of paying an additional fee for somthing I had intended to do all along.

All the points listed above would be the reason a person would pay for an accompanied stalk with a professional, these points have no connection at all with justification to pay for a shot fee.

Paying for the stalk yes, paying for the carcass yes, paying to pull my trigger no :nono:

What next paying a fee to carry my own rifle :blink:

• Like 2

OR perhaps a mileage charge,travelling to and from the stalking ground,or maybe excess bagage charge like on a plane? you would be screwed mate with the stuff you carry round :D

Fek me a gadget tax I'd be fecked :laugh:Hahaha yep I think when they bring the gadget tax in you had better take up golf or knitting,and dont forget mate you have a heavy barrel on your rifle, another one for the excess baggage book

:icon_eek:

• Like 1

still not had a reply or a confession that its done to make money, as ive said before if you don't want to do it, give up the land and let someone do the same job from here without ripping people off.

how can you charge for 10 days of shooting knowing you cant shoot 10 bucks?

im off shooting now and it aint costing a penny, bit of fuel, and a bullet.

• Like 2