How much for a stalk ?

I to am lucky to have some good stalking ,although a lot of the luck is brought on by hard work & doing a proper job for the people I stalk for (the last 4 sat mornings I've been fencing ,with 4 more to do) & like philluk I take people out for free(1 person a month) .This is just my way of giving a little back ,the man that got me into stalking 30 odd years ago would take no money & when ever I asked him what do I owe you he's reply was always the same ,when you get your own ground you give someone else the chance to have a go. Hence my 1 person a month Given I normally stalk 3 or 4 times a week its not a great hardship , this year 4 people have shot there 1st deer with me which is a big buzz. That said I couldn't afford to take every one out for free i'd be skint in no time , somewhere along the line seats, fuel, time,,etc etc need to be paid for .But if every one who has stalking gave up a day every now and then to help new stalkers get some experience wouldn't that be a good thing ..?

• Like 3

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll confess I took folks out for the money and no other reason (thats how a business works as aposed to a charity) and quite honestly if it weren't for being paid I wouldn't have wished to spend anot

I to am lucky to have some good stalking ,although a lot of the luck is brought on by hard work & doing a proper job for the people I stalk for (the last 4 sat mornings I've been fencing ,with 4 m

I guess there's good and bad "clients" though, some are sound and worth helping and some just aint worth the time and some are just well they just have no bloody luck at all lol

I was lucky to be one of the lucky ones to get my first from exactly this. Hopefully i'll get some stalking land in the future from which i can offer the same as Sussex has.

And if you need a hand with those fences Rich, i'll happily help you.

I quite agree as I have said before that a stalker taking a client out,should be paid for his/her time,no argument,however its this paying for the shot bollocks that gets my goat,yes if a client wounds an animal,and the stalker has to invest more time and effort looking for the animal,possibly into the next day,then again I think they should be compensated,but when people think it is ok to charge a man 40quid on top of stalking fee,carcass fee ect,just for pulling his own trigger(and lets face it that is what they are there to do in the first place) that to me just says money grabbing b*****d,and I would never under any circumstances purchase a day from anyone who does,and if we all did the same we could stamp out this racket,if I buy a day ticket trout fishing I dont expect to be charged every time my line lands on the water. rant in progress.

• Like 2

I quite agree as I have said before that a stalker taking a client out,should be paid for his/her time,no argument,however its this paying for the shot bollocks that gets my goat,yes if a client wounds an animal,and the stalker has to invest more time and effort looking for the animal,possibly into the next day,then again I think they should be compensated,but when people think it is ok to charge a man 40quid on top of stalking fee,carcass fee ect,just for pulling his own trigger(and lets face it that is what they are there to do in the first place) that to me just says money grabbing b*****d,and I would never under any circumstances purchase a day from anyone who does,and if we all did the same we could stamp out this racket,if I buy a day ticket trout fishing I dont expect to be charged every time my line lands on the water. rant in progress.

be interested in seeing the replies to this.

To me what you have said is spot on,scotland is particularly bad for this,I they have in my mind started to price out the ordinary stalker,always looking for them visiting dutch or german visiting stalkers,who get particularly well fleeced at times,and when it comes to paying for there skills,well having 28 yrs stalking under the belt I find woodland stalking a lot more challenging/and satisfying than hill stalking,and trust me there's plenty of very expierienced stalkers in this country who never bothered with DSC,

To me what you have said is spot on,scotland is particularly bad for this,I they have in my mind started to price out the ordinary stalker,always looking for them visiting dutch or german visiting stalkers,who get particularly well fleeced at times,and when it comes to paying for there skills,well having 28 yrs stalking under the belt I find woodland stalking a lot more challenging/and satisfying than hill stalking,and trust me there's plenty of very expierienced stalkers in this country who never bothered with DSC,

I cant disagree with most of what you say and I for one would never charge extra for anything etc my time , I dont even charge if someone has a runner and I have to come back the day after , but those who have cocked up dont come again and they also get a stiff bollocking, Anyone who comes with me and shoots one has to pay the going rate for the carcass though which goes back into equipment etc and running of the lease..

I am aware of major deerstalking enterprises who do work as you suggest and I most certainly dont condone it.

I take at least 2 lads a month out at no charge even supply accommodation inc gas etc. just to get lads into the sport, but id a client approaches me and wants me to take him out he pays me £70 per stalk irrespective of it being successful

Its Either me that takes them or my stalking partner who is a regional assessors for DMQ he also assessors AWs in the southern belt of Scotland. Mostly its stalking in blanket spruce although we do have a few other areas that are deciduous plantings.

Cheers

Stu

Edited by Caprelous

:thumbs: Well it seems we are in agreement on that particular subject boys,at the end of the day there is a balance to be struck,stalker has his fee,client has had a good day and not been left with the feeling that he has been taken for a ride,no buyers or sellers remorse,so to speak,its good to hear that there are still good lads out there not just in it for the money

A shot fee is more than just a shot 'fee'. Some stalker guides have a built in cost , others allow for novices.

1- It assures the paid stalker no shot present , no fee unless comfortable with the zone etc ! A £'s saving

2 - More alertness / pressure is on the guide to point them in the right direction, for success .(After all most clients on the stalk don't know the grounds & some wouldn't have a clue let alone spot a shot, or even take the wrong deer with extra £££'s to pay possibly !)

3 - Assures the guide, care is taken to drop the shot , more accurately within the paid hunters capabilities, not an unsure 100's of yds away

4 - The day is a better success , with concentration & not chatting , boasting etc throughout the session. :icon_eek:

5- Some larger estates encourage breeding for deer to be healthy, & of good size & managed correctly, to a programme. This is on a well balanced diet & mineral supplement that costs although the deer are wild & free roaming they find what they need through the winter months, the benefits are very apparent also .This costs £££'s , On the other hand some estates /areas deer are a nuisance & need to be culled, through interbred genes & significant damage they cause to crops , they wander, damage & do what they do with no real input, hence the poor quality of the animal .

A deer is a majestic born survivor, been around for millions of years with its acute hearing, sensitivity & superb ability to adapt, from £70 for such a privilege to take such life is a bargain in any terms.

As said above we all have different views & depends which shoes your wearing. I am sure all who have stalking dates available do there best to get the paid hunter at the best position, after all its in there interest. Enjoy the session & remember.........practise makes perfect :thumbs:

Hmm all very well and good Ray,but surely the onus is on the stalker to put the client onto a beast,tell the client(perhaps depending on what has been agreed pre stalk) if the beast is a shooter or not IE sex,species,cull or trophy,I am sure most pro stalkers will take a novice out(we all started somewhere) and as such extra vigilance will be required on the part of the stalker,for the above reasons,HOWEVER, I do not see for the life of me (at the risk of repetition) that all of this is made any easier by charging the poor sod an astronomical ( in relative terms)fee for pulling his own trigger,when that is the primary object of the day,it is a money grabbing exercise,nothing more,and whoever came up with this idea is an avaritious sod,if everyone who enquired about a paid stalk declined after being told WE charge a fee for letting your rifle off,I guarantee that this practice would soon stop,please yourselves guys but if you pay this outrageous TAX (and that is all it is) then more fool you.

Well the way i see it some stalkers are getting payed 3 ways from a client , they get the stalk fee , the pulling of the trigger fee, and most will get the carcase aswell.But then if people want to pay it that's down to them but it's not for me. :no:

Indeed, well said that man.

Well the way i see it some stalkers are getting payed 3 ways from a client , they get the stalk fee , the pulling of the trigger fee, and most will get the carcase aswell.But then if people want to pay it that's down to them but it's not for me. :no: Oh i forgot 4 ways because there could be a trophy fee aswell.

Are you saying by your inference that a client should not pay for the carcass if the client shot it.

I should point out that most stalking enterprises have to pay for a stalking lease which is set by the forest companies and in some cases costs many thousands of pounds, not all but most.

If they are running stalking as a business on top of that they have to carry public liability insurance should they take out clients which dosent come cheap. Also a requirement on most leases.

the revenue from the carcass costs goes a small way and I state a small way in offsetting the running and entitlement of the lease. I dont personally put mine into a GHE and sell privately because they dont pay in my opinion a fair price but thats another issue not relative to this debate.

I pose the question without rocking the boat of those who think that they are entitled to this and that and over charge by those in the stalking industry providing these services.

Why do you think that the person who has pulled the trigger is entitled to a freebie carcass when in fact if a stalker was carrying out his duties these finances would go back into the pot to offeset liabilitires etc.

Just curious as to your reasoning mind.

Cheers

Stu

As a point of interest to those who are not aware of the cost of standard leases

if anyone purchased a standard lease that is one that is taken out by an individual for their own use.

Most Forest companies base the figures as a rule of thumb of £100 per beast shot from past years cull figures.

Taking out a commercial lease so that you can trade as a stalking enterprise is considerably more, this being due to the risk factor and the fact your using the lease as a financial gain/enterprise some 3 or 4 times the standard figure.

Theoretically everytime a client shoots a deer the figure in respect of lease cost could equate to £300 min to possible more.

From how I view it the only person whos getting a fair deal is the client not the chap whose providing the stalking .

I am not complaining like I just thought that through ignorance some may not be aware of what stalking leases can cost.

Edited by Caprelous

We used to take clients out at £70 per outing for cull animals we didn't charge for shot but retained the carcass it didn't take long to realise that it was a royal pain in the arse, that my time is worth far more than the fee and that its far more efficient and cost effective doing the cull myself and that is on a private estate with no lease to pay.

Ps hutchey in best pantomine voice "its behind you" lol

• Like 1