Deaf pup

I today bought a cracking merle collie whippet greyhound pup he was playing well with other pups as you would expect and seemed pretty normal.as pups go very healthy and kept in fantastic conditions. All pups were stunning. Since getting home I have noticed the pup is stone cold deaf. My question is does anyone have experience of running a deaf dog or does anyone think it's worth bringing on, I will be intending on running him daytime only but obviously recall may well be an issue. Any suggestions tips would be greatly appreciated I won't be taking him back to the breeder as he is a cracking pup aside from him being deaf.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

im going to be perfectly honest with you .. dont piss about ,get the pup back to the breeder( IF) it is found to be , deaf. ,and stop worryhing about future litters theres enough lurchers out there

I have agreed with the breeder to return him, to be fair to the guy i think he genuinly didnt know. Im gutted as i now have to start looking again but i cant do anything but agree with everyones comme

I don't say this lightly mate, but take the pup back to the breeder it's his responsibility, go and source another pup, it's hard enough getting a lurcher to an acceptable standard without a drawback

I today bought a cracking merle collie whippet greyhound pup he was playing well with other pups as you would expect and seemed pretty normal.as pups go very healthy and kept in fantastic conditions. All pups were stunning. Since getting home I have noticed the pup is stone cold deaf. My question is does anyone have experience of running a deaf dog or does anyone think it's worth bringing on, I will be intending on running him daytime only but obviously recall may well be an issue. Any suggestions tips would be greatly appreciated I won't be taking him back to the breeder as he is a cracking pup aside from him being deaf.

how do you know he is deaf?

ive heard of deaf border collies working sheep and being bloody good at it, working to the handlers hand signals. a book called dog of the storm by ernest dudley is a true story about a deaf working border collie, would be a good read for you my freind.

not really the same thing but people learn to cope with deafness i sure the pup will as for recall it might be worth a vet check the pup might be able to hear high pitch sounds recall may work with a high pitch call ect whistle.

best of luck with it

atb sounder

Im convinced he is deaf because he responds to nothing no ear twitches or anything whilst awake and when he was asleep i squeaked a toy and clapped above him and he was sound asleep only woke up to touch.

Im convinced he is deaf because he responds to nothing no ear twitches or anything whilst awake and when he was asleep i squeaked a toy and clapped above him and he was sound asleep only woke up to touch.

haaaa ha sure its not got some saluki in it ... ,selective hearing :laugh:
  • Like 2

Quiet room and feed him, then bang two pans together, I had picked a pup and the more I watched him the more I thought he was deaf, tried this and got no reaction and I picked another pup, turns out he ended up blind & deaf.

• Like 1