You do what ever works for you mate and the standard of birds what leave our rearing field are better then alot of people.With this year being a very testing year for some weve not had a ounce of cocci on the field or to wood so far so i'm sure that speaks volume's.We went to a talk at the vets we use at the start of the season and too there was a bayer rep there and they put it across prevention is always better then cure :thumbs:

funny that a company rep selling there products would recommend using it whether it,s needed or no but as you say each to their own and I am pleased you had a good rearing season :thumbs: :thumbs:

I thought a sales rep would be pleased we was buying they product and using it if it was for prevention or cure.I was always told to use solulite's or electrolite's when using baycox because of the bitter taste of baycox it needs sweetening up so the birds especially partridges drink it but as we've discussed everybody got different views and methods on doing things.Also 2 different vets can give you 2 different diagnosis and 2 different treatment when only being 5 mile apart.Also all of us are all on different scales on the rearing field and birds to wood.So what works for some doing 3-400 might work for someone doing 3-4000 or other cases 30 - 40,000

the thing is burnie when it comes to rearing poultry the game industry is about 20 years behind the rest of the world I mean for fucks sake most keepers dont, realise how f*****g pathetic it sounds when they say the birds have bulgy eye they have no concept of bio-security and are still using voodoo and witchcraft not to mention a fair bit of praying and luck to rear birds the poultry industry moves very quickly they have huge resources and they have the knowledge when folks start to use lessons learned in this industry and use vets that actually know what they are talking about because they work solely on poultry then we will see a huge improvement in the way birds are reared.

Dan you don't have to tell me about the poultry industry i got brought up with it.The problem is in the game industry anyone can get a few 100 pheasants and class them selfs as keepers, cutting corners never helps how many times have you heard keepers say these birds are looking down so we'll get to wood at the weekend.Alot people don't realise that alot of dieases and secondary infections are caused by stress.
  • Like 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We feed meds first, then growers, then back to meds then growers again. 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.

I'm not been funny lads but using medicine as a prevention instead of a cure will lead to disasters when you do get something. It will also lead to the banning of some very good medicines as has happe

If you lads dont get bothered with gapes then its not a must to feed it. And at £ a tonne on top of your usual order i'd try my hardest to not use it. But if you've had it in your pens then your more

You do what ever works for you mate and the standard of birds what leave our rearing field are better then alot of people.With this year being a very testing year for some weve not had a ounce of cocci on the field or to wood so far so i'm sure that speaks volume's.We went to a talk at the vets we use at the start of the season and too there was a bayer rep there and they put it across prevention is always better then cure :thumbs:

funny that a company rep selling there products would recommend using it whether it,s needed or no but as you say each to their own and I am pleased you had a good rearing season :thumbs: :thumbs:

I thought a sales rep would be pleased we was buying they product and using it if it was for prevention or cure.I was always told to use solulite's or electrolite's when using baycox because of the bitter taste of baycox it needs sweetening up so the birds especially partridges drink it but as we've discussed everybody got different views and methods on doing things.Also 2 different vets can give you 2 different diagnosis and 2 different treatment when only being 5 mile apart.Also all of us are all on different scales on the rearing field and birds to wood.So what works for some doing 3-400 might work for someone doing 3-4000 or other cases 30 - 40,000

the thing is burnie when it comes to rearing poultry the game industry is about 20 years behind the rest of the world I mean for fucks sake most keepers dont, realise how f*****g pathetic it sounds when they say the birds have bulgy eye they have no concept of bio-security and are still using voodoo and witchcraft not to mention a fair bit of praying and luck to rear birds the poultry industry moves very quickly they have huge resources and they have the knowledge when folks start to use lessons learned in this industry and use vets that actually know what they are talking about because they work solely on poultry then we will see a huge improvement in the way birds are reared.

Dan you don't have to tell me about the poultry industry i got brought up with it.The problem is in the game industry anyone can get a few 100 pheasants and class them selfs as keepers.

Thats the truth right there :thumbs:

I do think that vets are to blame though they are just so inconsistent as you said :thumbs: and most of them just arent up to date

Dan you don't have to tell me about the poultry industry i got brought up with it.The problem is in the game industry anyone can get a few 100 pheasants and class them selfs as keepers.

Thats the truth right there :thumbs:

I do think that vets are to blame though they are just so inconsistent as you said :thumbs: and most of them just arent up to date

I never get a vets opinion if theres anything wrong with my birds. I know the signs and what to look for, i wont be paying some twat 50/60 quid to tell me what i already know. Anyway it takes them ages up here to diagnose and by that time its too late...... :thumbs:

Labs its more like £350-400 for a PM down here then then want 3-4 days to grow the plates then sting you for antibioctics to put em on while you wait for a out come.Think thats why most of the time keepers hazard a guess at what they've got and end up going to the vets when its too late and there birds are dying like feck.What gets me how they push 1 drug 1 season whats the best on the market then the next season don't use that 1 ( what you've half a tub left over from) use this 1 its a lot better then the 1 you had last year.I'm afraid my conclusion is its all down to the money you pay em.

Labs its more like £350-400 for a PM down here then then want 3-4 days to grow the plates then sting you for antibioctics to put em on while you wait for a out come.Think thats why most of the time keepers hazard a guess at what they've got and end up going to the vets when its too late and there birds are dying like feck.What gets me how they push 1 drug 1 season whats the best on the market then the next season don't use that 1 ( what you've half a tub left over from) use this 1 its a lot better then the 1 you had last year.I'm afraid my conclusion is its all down to the money you pay em.

I agree with you on all that mate. Maybe i'm well out with the PM prices now mate...never had a bird to the vet in years...atleast 6/7 anyway.

The anti-biotic i like to use is Auromycin, vets never had it this year........ :icon_eek: I'm sure its one of the best... :thumbs:

Well I guess were lucky where I am we have 2 of the best poultry vets in the uk within 2 hours drive they pm with you present and unless it requires a culture (never needed one in 23 seasons)I can be treating my birds correctly within 5 hours of thinking I have an issue.

mindst saying all that I dont, pick up the bill so aint worried in the slightest what it takes or costs to keep they birds right.

• Like 1