Bayer have spent a huge amount of time and money recently because of a loss of efficacy of Baycox and there conclusion for this is that routine/over use of Baycox can and has led to Coccidiosis which is resistant to Toltrazuril,

This was a conclusion what the gcwt came up with about 4-5 years ago and stood by and recommended to follow.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We feed meds first, then growers, then back to meds then growers again. 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.

I'm not been funny lads but using medicine as a prevention instead of a cure will lead to disasters when you do get something. It will also lead to the banning of some very good medicines as has happe

If you lads dont get bothered with gapes then its not a must to feed it. And at £ a tonne on top of your usual order i'd try my hardest to not use it. But if you've had it in your pens then your more

Bayer have spent a huge amount of time and money recently because of a loss of efficacy of Baycox and there conclusion for this is that routine/over use of Baycox can and has led to Coccidiosis which is resistant to Toltrazuril,

This was a conclusion what the gcwt came up with about 4-5 years ago and stood by and recommended to follow.

maybe so mate but the info I have came straight from a Bayer rep this year :thumbs:

You do what ever works for you mate and the standard of birds what leave our rearing field are better then alot of people.With this year being a very testing year for some weve not had a ounce of cocci on the field or to wood so far so i'm sure that speaks volume's.We went to a talk at the vets we use at the start of the season and too there was a bayer rep there and they put it across prevention is always better then cure :thumbs:

You do what ever works for you mate and the standard of birds what leave our rearing field are better then alot of people.With this year being a very testing year for some weve not had a ounce of cocci on the field or to wood so far so i'm sure that speaks volume's.We went to a talk at the vets we use at the start of the season and too there was a bayer rep there and they put it across prevention is always better then cure :thumbs:

I always used to dose my birds with Solulites and Baycox when i put my birds to wood because of the stress of wing clipping ,debitting ,crating up,and transporting.I now have Avatec in my pellets and have not had a problem.......yet.

I'm not been funny lads but using medicine as a prevention instead of a cure will lead to disasters when you do get something. It will also lead to the banning of some very good medicines as has happened in the past........ :thumbs:

• Like 2

I'm not been funny lads but using medicine as a prevention instead of a cure will lead to disasters when you do get something. It will also lead to the banning of some very good medicines as has happened in the past........ :thumbs:

I think you are refering to emtryl,which is a suspected carcinogen,which has a withdrawal period ,people did not follow the guidelines,and treated birds entered the food chain.I cant see that happening with Baycox! :thumbs:

Theres 2 ways of looking at prevention we prevent medicate and had no problems whats ever this year.Its been that wet on our field that some poults never got into the run's untill 4 weeks old, I've also know of keepers who don't and this year had major problems and have threw alot more medication at there birds because there ill then we do as a prevention so as i said before it works for us also we don't have to end up using medication whats no longer licenced to keeper/game farms to use.

Theres 2 ways of looking at prevention we prevent medicate and had no problems whats ever this year.Its been that wet on our field that some poults never got into the run's untill 4 weeks old, I've also know of keepers who don't and this year had major problems and have threw alot more medication at there birds because there ill then we do as a prevention so as i said before it works for us also we don't have to end up using medication whats no longer licenced to keeper/game farms to use.

When you say 'runs' do you mean outside on the grass mate? If so what age do you normally let them out? Mines dont see a bit of grass until 5 weeks, this year been more like 5 and a half weeks. I just dont see the point in putting them out early. All my birds are 7 weeks plus before they leave the field. They get bleach in there water all the time(keeps it clean) and they get a dose of Antibiotics at bitting time. Other than that they do really well.

A couple of pens have have to be dosed this year with Baycox, no surprise with the weather...........never need to do it normally. But we always give our Red legs a dose before they leave the field....... :thumbs:

I always used to dose my birds with Solulites and Baycox when i put my birds to wood because of the stress of wing clipping ,debitting ,crating up,and transporting.I now have Avatec in my pellets and have not had a problem.......yet.

solulite has been recognised to affect baycox because of conflicting PH levels Baycox being a strong alkali and solulite being acidic the mix causes the Baycox to fall out of suspension Bayer now recommend that Baycox is used without any addition

funny that a company rep selling there products would recommend using it whether it,s needed or no but as you say each to their own and I am pleased you had a good rearing season :thumbs: :thumbs:

solulite has been recognised to affect baycox because of conflicting PH levels Baycox being a strong alkali and solulite being acidic the mix causes the Baycox to fall out of suspension Bayer now recommend that Baycox is used without any addition

Cheers danw,didnt know that,you learn something new everyday!I havent used baycox on my birds that have gone to wood for a couple of years now ,cos i have avatec in the pellets but i still put them on solulites for a couple of days.

When you say 'runs' do you mean outside on the grass mate? If so what age do you normally let them out? Mines dont see a bit of grass until 5 weeks, this year been more like 5 and a half weeks. I just dont see the point in putting them out early. All my birds are 7 weeks plus before they leave the field. They get bleach in there water all the time(keeps it clean) and they get a dose of Antibiotics at bitting time. Other than that they do really well.

A couple of pens have have to be dosed this year with Baycox, no surprise with the weather...........never need to do it normally. But we always give our Red legs a dose before they leave the field....... :thumbs:

I'm a long way south to you lab so in normal years our weather would i expect to be warmer,Weather permitting night shelters 1 week onwards runs 2 weeks onwards but as i said we've not had anything out untill 4 weeks +.Never used bletch but some poultry boys i know used it and had bad issue's with it,But what and to what dosage rate they were using i don't know.

funny that a company rep selling there products would recommend using it whether it,s needed or no but as you say each to their own and I am pleased you had a good rearing season :thumbs: :thumbs:

I thought a sales rep would be pleased we was buying they product and using it if it was for prevention or cure.I was always told to use solulite's or electrolite's when using baycox because of the bitter taste of baycox it needs sweetening up so the birds especially partridges drink it but as we've discussed everybody got different views and methods on doing things.Also 2 different vets can give you 2 different diagnosis and 2 different treatment when only being 5 mile apart.Also all of us are all on different scales on the rearing field and birds to wood.So what works for some doing 3-400 might work for someone doing 3-4000 or other cases 30 - 40,000

I thought a sales rep would be pleased we was buying they product and using it if it was for prevention or cure.I was always told to use solulite's or electrolite's when using baycox because of the bitter taste of baycox it needs sweetening up so the birds especially partridges drink it but as we've discussed everybody got different views and methods on doing things.Also 2 different vets can give you 2 different diagnosis and 2 different treatment when only being 5 mile apart.Also all of us are all on different scales on the rearing field and birds to wood.So what works for some doing 3-400 might work for someone doing 3-4000 or other cases 30 - 40,000

the thing is burnie when it comes to rearing poultry the game industry is about 20 years behind the rest of the world I mean for fucks sake most keepers dont, realise how f*****g pathetic it sounds when they say the birds have bulgy eye they have no concept of bio-security and are still using voodoo and witchcraft not to mention a fair bit of praying and luck to rear birds the poultry industry moves very quickly they have huge resources and they have the knowledge when folks start to use lessons learned in this industry and use vets that actually know what they are talking about because they work solely on poultry then we will see a huge improvement in the way birds are reared.

• Like 1