clay shooting with 410

• 4 weeks later...

What age do you think it would be ok for a child to start out with a 410 and with what carts?

My daughter is 6 1/2 and 7 in May and loves coming to the clay ground with me although it might be for the sausage sandwiches and scones :hmm:

You need to be sure she can lift and swing the gun proper mate,and she has the presence of mind to be constantly aware of the gun when not in use, but with my boy I took the time with the clays to concentrate and make him understand,he loved it instantly,he was around 9 yr old but a slow grower,you wouldnt think that now though,with 410 there's very little,recoil anyway but 2 1/2 inch is what I used for the son, then went onto 3 inch but dont think I needed to,the beuty of the 410 is they come in all shapes and sizes,someone will have one the right stock size for your daughter,good luck with it, we need more and more kids in the sport,they truely are the future,but be carefull for when they grow up they invariably get better at the clays than you and get cocky with it,

Cheers Darren

Yeh I just want something so she can just get used to holding it and the sound and feel of it all but you make a good point she's only a little thing so might struggle holding on her own.

Basically she's the most reliable person I know and is always up for a day out unlike most other people I know who cry off at the last minute so she's be the perfect shooting partner one day :D

What age do you think it would be ok for a child to start out with a 410 and with what carts?

My daughter is 6 1/2 and 7 in May and loves coming to the clay ground with me although it might be for the sausage sandwiches and scones :hmm:

my youngest started on the clays with a single 410 when he was about 7. i used a side by side 410 on the pigeons for a season, a few years ago, it was graet fun but bloody expensive.

Isn't it really hard to hit pigeon with a 410?

I'll be buggered if I am going to make life harder for myself :D

I'll keep an eye out for a cheap 410 that we can cut down to size next year, I just want to keep her in to outdoor sports. She already rides and as you can imagine this is costing us a fortune.

I'll keep an eye out for a cheap 410 that we can cut down to size next year, I just want to keep her in to outdoor sports. She already rides and as you can imagine this is costing us a fortune.

it was for me :icon_redface: on the plus side i rarely if ever had any pricked birds they were either clean miss or flatpacked :laugh: this might sound daft but go for a hammer gun, its got the added safety in that you can see everything prior to being fired.

I used my side by side 410 in the hide for crows around the back of the buildings and it did me proud nothing wrong with them,I have swapped and changed guns on and off for years, the one gun I will never get rid of is my 410,I only wish I could get shot sizes of 4 or 5's in them you used to be able to years ago,and always fancied trying a 410 slug for some reason,dont know why but I bet they are very handy on close foxes,as for the price of cartridges,how much is the smile on your daughters face worth,first class training gun,

• Like 1

thats what was thinking, better off with a 20 bore or light 12g .When you start out you want to it most targets, with 410 you got to really have your eye in. And as a learner you need all the help you can get with your gun. Might do ok on a going away clay, as you just shoot it up the arse with a 410, but other angles would be harder. Ive shot all type shotguns over 25 years, and love 410's great knock about gun, ok to start with but if to choose for a learner to start with would go for a 20bore :yes:

• Like 1