Where do people get their prices from?

Doing all my Homework and preparation for a pup (be a while yet tho) and have been looking at what people are charging.

How can your average every day, run of the mill spaniel cost in the region of £450- £550, While Buccleuch have theirs advertised at £650-£750.

NO Expert AT ALL on dogs, having never had one, but when you see a reputable place like this asking little more than J.Bloggs down the road it makes me wonder why people think they can ask that kind of money?

You hear the stories of people paying a LOT more than these sums, but for an average working man, I'd immagine it's worth saving up that extra £100-£200 for one with some sort of 'history'?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get yourself out beating and you will soon see some good dogs working. Then you listen out for a litter that you could be interested in.......

Yup Glad to see a few agreeing with me. Mine was farm bred, no papers, but then paper doesn`t help him push through bramble.   He`s 10 now, showed his first sign of aging a few weeks ago, so I have

gundogs = money... but coming back to it, if your buying your first gundog you dont want a high powered ftch bred animal, you are more then likely not going to handle it,   imo i dont know why peop

greyhound men pay a thousand pound and a lot more a pup for potential. Thats what your buying potential. the breeding is there but who knows if it will come out? lifes a gamble.

i paid £800 for a vizsla pup so far so good at 18 weeks he is dropping to the whistle and doing bits and pieces of fun training like a little champion im well pleased with him. But i tell you i felt the £800 price tag and there is a long way to go i just hope im good enough to bring him along

Best spaniel I ever had is lying downstairs now, I paid £150 for him as well

Aye, Now, I like that! :thumbs:

But, you dinna see any advertised around our way for that kinda ££. Word of mouth / keepin my lugs open I suppose might get me one like that.

I'm not too bothered about all the tickets etc, just lookin out for a dog (like someone mentioned) with a little potential. Not after a prize winner tho.

It's the Joe Bloggs' wanting almost as much as a reputable place that gets me.

Like I say, not in the position to buy one yet as I work away a lot, but just having a sniff about to see whats what and getting bits and pieces pulled together.

Seen springers down Wales way for £100/£150 a pop, up here you're looking at between £350-£500, paid £350 for my dog and maybe if i decide to have a litter from my bitch (after a few seasons in the field) i'll be charging prices 'for the working man'. One advert i saw "last black lab bitch for sale, we are NOT breeders accidental mating between our two pets, not kc reg...£450". Aye right! :whistling:

Best spaniel I ever had is lying downstairs now, I paid £150 for him as well

Aye, Now, I like that! :thumbs:

But, you dinna see any advertised around our way for that kinda ££. Word of mouth / keepin my lugs open I suppose might get me one like that.

I'm not too bothered about all the tickets etc, just lookin out for a dog (like someone mentioned) with a little potential. Not after a prize winner tho.

It's the Joe Bloggs' wanting almost as much as a reputable place that gets me.

Like I say, not in the position to buy one yet as I work away a lot, but just having a sniff about to see whats what and getting bits and pieces pulled together.

Get yourself out beating and you will soon see some good dogs working. Then you listen out for a litter that you could be interested in....... :yes:

• Like 1

I dont think that sort of money is out of the way for a pup that has had a bit of thought put into breeding it.If a stud fee has been paid ,maybe a visit to the vet?Think about it you could have that dog 12 13 14 years ? It will also discourage people buying on a whim!Look at the papers get one with pklenty of red in it and pay the money.

I dont think that sort of money is out of the way for a pup that has had a bit of thought put into breeding it.If a stud fee has been paid ,maybe a visit to the vet?Think about it you could have that dog 12 13 14 years ? It will also discourage people buying on a whim!Look at the papers get one with pklenty of red in it and pay the money.

How would you justify that against what a reputable breeder with a background charges? Like I said, he doesn't want much more?

£500 odd in the local paper for someones 'regular' pups is steep against the Pro's. - surely?

If its your first spaniel you don't want to buy one like David has for sale !

Now calm down this is Not an attack on David, As i know the lady who whelps all his pups.

FT dogs are wired differently than a normal working/beating spaniel. I thought i was doing well buying a bitch with loads of FTCH and FTW.

She is now a great dog, sometimes ! But my friends can't beleve i have managed to get her to work steadily as her prey drive was phenomenal and so was her drive and speed.

Buy a pup from a steady working bitch as even that will test your sanity and will.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Not saying I would be buying one like that, but having been looking about at prices, it started me thinking why do people think their 'regular' dogs are worth very nearly as much as a pup like this.

When I do get to the stage when I am out to buy one, I'll be happy if I can make it do the basics, but why would I want to 'waste' the money for a pup whose parents may never have seen anywhere further than 10' from a pavement, but could 'invest'(?) another couple of hundred for a 'decent' one.

Hope this makes sense..

I was just curious ;)

Go to a good keeper or working gun dog man,you will pay a good price check the guy out with people first,best pedigree wont guarentee the best working dog,and a lot of times if they arent young pups, you are buying somone elses problems, take your time, Rake aboot is wright, mine didnt cost more than £150 and a superb dog although he is 13 now, and still like a pup when the gun comes out the cupboard,if the dog is from good working lines and not inbred,and the kennels you get them from are in good order,it will boil down to how you bring the dog up,people make the mistake of going for the top pedigree they can find,they come at a premium price,and alot of the time are not of the stock a working man needs,I am sure they will be lads on here selling litters this year well worth a look with good pedigrees,that will tick all the boxes you will ever need,Dont rush

Good luck

Darren

Yup

Glad to see a few agreeing with me. Mine was farm bred, no papers, but then paper doesn`t help him push through bramble.

He`s 10 now, showed his first sign of aging a few weeks ago, so I have a new pup in preparation, (not a spaniel, I dont do enough birds now, and added to the lurcher team instead). I had a replacement spaniel ready, but lost it to cancer a few months ago.(devastated)

Had a bloke from work looking for a cocker, usual idiots wanted 600 quid a pup, so went on the stalking directory and got him a pup from working lines, cocker x sprocker, £350, the guys over the moon, and he knows it will be healthier and more bidable than the shite,, that folk sell as cockers nowadays.

Hunt about, the right dog will turn up

ATB

• Like 1

well ive got given a 3 year old cocker bitch yesterday which is the auntie to the pup i bred and this dog was triained by one of the gundog men at the shoot i beat on. and he offer a good sum of money and a bitch already trained for this bitch .and he could of sold her a dozen times moneys not his ruler but a good home for a dog is. theres plently of crossed up dogs out there that could the same job or even better may be then a ped cocker/springer there still askin 250/300 for them its what you want on the end of the lead. your eyes ya guide and ya pocket the limit