Scarlet The Female Harris Hawk Diary

bullseye76

04/08/12

picked scarlet up from breeder today she was hooded when we arrived and she looked fantastic and was told she weighed 2lb 5oz,

i took hold of her and checked her over and removed her hood she bated quite a few times so on went the hood again and i did this a couple more times to get comfortable with it , we said are goodbyes to mark the breeder and headed back to portsmouth with her still hooded and on the glove, she behaved fantastically all the way home were she went straight on the scales in her weighing room were she weighed 2lb 4oz and then tethered into her aviary which is 10ft x 7ft and left alone for the rest of the day, must have checked on her about 20 times already!!!

looking forward to tomorrow when i hope she will feed (fingers crossed)

atb stu

IMG_2773.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cheers millet i get on and order some astro for just underneath the bow.. she isn't bating at all mate well what i can see and trust me I'm out there checking her loads to much!!lol atb stu

Has for the hooding i honestly think it does have some good benefits for us i hood all the birds ive had because you just never know when you will need to keep you bird calm.   For one example i was

use a rabbit leg with the meat of it for manning as the bird will work at it for ages and hardly get any reward for it this way they look at the glove as a good place to be and not a pirch.think of it

thanks guys always nice to get positive feedback with the things we do!!

and as for the hood i can only see positive things to come from it and the breeder also gave me a training schedule with it that is a good read with bits like if you remove the hood and the bird bates 6 times then re hood and close the chapter and try again later and do not reinforce the negative time!

i will keep up with the diary

thanks again

atb stu

thanks guys always nice to get positive feedback with the things we do!!

and as for the hood i can only see positive things to come from it and the breeder also gave me a training schedule with it that is a good read with bits like if you remove the hood and the bird bates 6 times then re hood and close the chapter and try again later and do not reinforce the negative time!

i will keep up with the diary

thanks again

atb stu

had a conversation a few years ago on another forum about Hooding. it was pretty shocking how many negative responses came back on Hooding shortwings and broadwings!!! Ok I can't see much point in Hooding a Imprint but its horses for courses but I'm yet to see anything negative about Hooding a P/R bird...

its all good for the bird expecially in the initial stages of manning and a massive plus through out the birds flying career...

Looking forward to reading how things go Stu :thumbs:.......

jasp

I Put a post up before on the iff of my old male harris hooded and people was ripping me left right and centre and I just laughed as my mentor/uncle who is 62 always said to me ''Is there a reason not to hood a bird unless its became hood shy from a s*** falconer''

I will hood all my birds I think as I have no reason not too.

Good luck with her mate she has amazing looking feet and good anklets to match :thumbs:

Keep the pictures coming I do like reading a good diary thread lol

Atvb

Ross

Has for the hooding i honestly think it does have some good benefits for us i hood all the birds ive had because you just never know when you will need to keep you bird calm.

For one example i was hunting on an estate in abergavenny(on permission) when a local farmer stoped and asked me the usuall stuff regarding my hawk he then asked me up to his farm up the top of the valley,so he drove off and i just walked on up towards his farm house,as i approched i just about managed to see that he had a small duck pond ;) with some ducks on it...yep you guessed it my hawk started baiting to have a pop at them ! thats where the HOOD came into play,if i had not had my bird custom to his hood it woulndt have looked to clever in front of the "new farmer and his family" with mt hawk going crackers for his pet ducks...it also got me new permission on a nice tidy place..so yes HOODS very usefull indeed :thumbs:

• Like 1

05/08/2012

went in to aviary today had a bit of a chat with scarlet while is was in the hood just to get her used to my voice a bit (not sure if this benefits) then took her out put her on the scales she was 2lb 2oz, we then had a bit of a walk round the garden to get her relaxed on the fist then gave her a light spraying with water to hopefully prevent to much bating!!

then off come the hood she wasn't that happy straight away as expected and in the space of about 5 mins she bated 6 times so back on with the hood and i put her on a bow perch in the garden to settle back down for a bit, left her there basking in the sun for about 15 mins then attempt number 2 this time she was a lot calmer but still apprehensive i tried not to lok her in the eyes to much and closed my eyes several times in front of her to show her that i was comfortable with her this session lasted much longer and she bated 6 times in about 15 mins!!

so back on with the hood and another little walk round the garden just to settle her then back in the aviary

i left her there to settle for about a hour then same as before with the pre de hooding routine i could see that with every time i removed the hood she was getting more settled which was a nice feeling i also tried sitting with her in this attempt which she liked a bit so will do more sitting with her tomorrow!!

throughout the whole process i had a nice fresh strip of raw frying steak

some more pics to follow

atb stu

use a rabbit leg with the meat of it for manning as the bird will work at it for ages and hardly get any reward for it this way they look at the glove as a good place to be and not a pirch.think of it this way u have a chick on the glove and the bird bend down and eats in in a minute and then all done or the bird is working on a stripped rabbits leg or chicken neck for a hour picking away at it and trying to get the food of if,oncne a bird is eating well on the glove washed meat is a good way to go

• Like 1

If you can be arsed i find rabbit backbone's good tireing's..all i do is strip nearly all the meat of with a sharp knife and they tend to last longer than rabbit leg's..the female harris i used to have would shred the front shoulder bone in a short time and would also swallow the bone's from the back leg if i did not keep tight hold..