juby traps

bun463.jpgbun439-1.jpg

i have recently been given 15 imbra traps and allso had the chance off buying 5 more + 5 jubys, all the traps were in exellent condition other than a light coating of rust , ihave never used Jubys before so before i dipped them i tried them out ,then as they caught, i cleaned and dipped them. I found them very easy to, set though the springs were very powerfull, the trap was easy to bed down and cover and the final adjustment to the plate was very simple and safe to do , to me its a very humain trap to use because as the rabbits exit the hole the animal must be killed by the tensioning bar from the springs i don't think they could be made now because of the cost but if they ever were i would buy them tomorrow

• Like 2

The inventor was Reginald Walter juby and the patent application date was the 17th September 1956..,they were made by a firm in wednesfield with the main distributor being gilbertson & page ltd. They were produced in 2 versions with my own personal type being the mk2......a heavyweight trap built to withstand the test of time........:)

• Like 1

newmemcard002.jpg

this ones just going on to a prepaired bed under a root , if you placed it the other way around your'e hand could possibly go between the jaws to remove the safety catch ,that would result in severed fingers

• Like 2

If you bed the trap into the ground and cover with seived earth the trap becomes invisible as with Imbra's. The trap is set to catch rabbits coming out of the hole, but you can set it to catch them entering if you turn it round. The jaws are angled back towards the treadle plate to to take the rabbit cleanly around the chest and neck area, if you use a setting stick and not your fingers to disengage the safety catch there is no risk whatsoever. You can set the trap either way round and it will still catch rabbits BUT it is designed to take rabbits approaching from the treadle plate side. Good catch and one less rabbit to worry about :thumbs:

• Like 1

The jaws are designed to catch and kill equally from either direction, the killing mark is 2 1/2 inches above the centre of the plate, just as they were on the gin trap that they were designed to replace

Cover the trap as fully as possible, but the end horns of the killing arms can be left exposed, make sure that the plate is level and flush with the floor of the hole

OTC

enewmemcard005.jpg

rabbits exiting the holes are possibly killed by the tension bar / + a bite from the jaws on the neck area.

a rabbit caught entering the hole will be further over the trap and hit in the chest /stomach area by the tension bar , this has given me five neck /front leg catches ,early days as yet but that seems to be the way its going,another feature of this trap is [the step up ] on the tongue of the trap ,this is about 1/16 of an inch wide by 1/32 inch high this makes fine tuning very easy when advancing years brings on changes to your'e vision, i allways cover my traps with peat ,at present i am using the contents of last years grow bags as i find it light , consistant ,and when you have to buy it ,cheap.

newmemcard007.jpg

• 4 years later...

The jaws are designed to catch and kill equally from either direction, the killing mark is 2 1/2 inches above the centre of the plate, just as they were on the gin trap that they were designed to replace

Cover the trap as fully as possible, but the end horns of the killing arms can be left exposed, make sure that the plate is level and flush with the floor of the hole

OTC

Did they set the Gin traps in the hole, If so is that what the Gin was designed for. catching rabbits

• Like 1

OTC

Did they set the Gin traps in the hole, If so is that what the Gin was designed for. catching rabbits

Some of the smaller gins would be able to be set in a burrow but some would be too large , but i remember my uncle telling me about how they set them on strips of land between water pools so if a fox got caught it fell in and drowned

OTC

I remember asking a question why fenns jumped up in number and didnt run in sequence and you part answered and hinted the answer would be found soon in a book ?. are you doing a book ?. and how is it coming along or out soon ?.

• Like 2