Just come here to argue???????

my first cross beddy whippet is 17 inches and is becoming good dog (i think :tongue2: ) i dont think you will catch as much as a "proper" lurcher, but would be good for squatters i think, imo. as long as he has the drive why not? if hes broken to ferrets i think thats your biggest hope of some sport. good luck :victory:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's it like on fallow buck's

Just had a little think. (God it hurts.)   This person has never hunted before in their life. It probably had never even entered their head. Yet they get a dog that is capable of hunting (all-be-it

Crorider is a young man with his first dog. His dog has shown an interest in hunting and Cro want's to give the dog every opportunity/chance he can. It matters not if the dog is excellent or crap, bu

Posted Images

Took my little whippet/guinea pig out lamping with deerhoundlurcherman last night. Was only going to slip him on squatters but we couldnt get anywhere near any of them so we just had to slip him on whatever he saw. 4 slips, didnt see 1 and ran the wrong way, 1 made it to cover and he started yapping and the other 2 had the luckiest escape theyll ever get from a dog! He caught them but only pinned them for a second and let them get away when they struggled. It was a tiny bit disappointing tbh to see him do the hard bit but overall we were well impressed with him. He did everything i thought he would, quick off the mark, quick on the turn and didnt give up when the rabbit made the cover, he followed it straight in there. I must admit all the comments ive had on my threads on here did slowly make me start to doubt him but i shouldnt of worried so much. although its very early days as long as he learns to hold on better he'll make a much better bunny dog than most would think his breeding could produce. Gonna get out at least 3 times a week now and have the time of our lives this season, im well and truly hooked :D

Deerhoundlurchermans Buzz managed a couple and Timmy was watching like a hawk taking it all in, cant wait to get out again already!!

There's no rush at the moment Crorider..just take your time and be patient..i know it's hard to resist but ignore anything that is going to be hard to catch and only slip him on bunnies that he has deffinitely seen and have the odd's set again them..if you keep giving him long slip's he will start to get frustrated and the yapping will become worse..most of the pup's i have started off hardly ever keep hold of the bunnies to start with..that will come in time sooner rather than later..also try to go out with the lamp only on good dark night's with some wind in your face as you tend to get a bit closer to the bunnie's before they make for cover and you also have a better chance of finding some sitter's..if you do find any sitter's try to get on the arse end of them with the pup..and dont slip the pup untill they have actually moved and he has spotted them.

• Like 2

Cheers millet, thats pretty much what i intend to do. I wont slip him on something hes got hardly any chance of catching but if i think the odds are in his favour i will. Its good to hear that most of your pups have done the same thing though, thought maybe that was the chihuahua in him lol! He's only just turned 12 months, i got my dates wrong before, thought he was 14 months.

oh and i should add that that comment was pretty innacurate really. we didnt slip him on whatever we saw i said that wrong. most of the rabbits were too far to slip him on so we let him watch buzz instead. we only slipped him 4 times and he had a decent chance at all of them and most importantly he finished on a high

• Like 1