I have an FAC-tuned HW80 on my ticket, with not just a full length barrel but, made even longer with a webley-venom long slim silencer. Some who get to see it are amazed by how long my "Air Musket" looks....till they see what it can do!

Rabbits humanely shot out to 100-plus metres are no sweat for a supremely accurate barrel that delivers its pellet with all the compressive air forces working uncompromised behind it.

This HW80 is the very best example I've ever known and it will never be for sale.

Regards.

Simon

Wow, sounds very impressive Simon. Would love to see that. What ft/lb is it kicking out? I take it its .22?

Hi Elliott.

It's an HW80 .22 and produces 20ft/lbs. on my licence. And that is all the absolute power a spring air rifle really needs. She has given me some fantastic shooting experiences and I will never part with her. At normal air rifle ranges she hits very fast and hard. I've missed rabbits that have been very alert, who have moved lightning fast at the instant a shot from a sub-12ft/lb rifle is fired and they are out of the way before the pellet reaches them.

Not with this HW80. They get whacked quicker than they can shift! That's why I wanted an FAC for a tuned air rifle. The Webley Patriot was my first FAC rifle and was really something in its time but, this HW80 is beautiful to handle and shoot with.

I've had her from brand new since 2000 and shoots H&N Field Target Trophy absolutely bang on the dot.

I zero her at 30 Metres and the flat trajectory needs little holdover to extend that to 50 and about 2.5 to 3-or-so inches higher to reach a 100-metre target.

I use the same Simmons Whitetail Classic 4.5-14X40 scope I originally bought with her and these two perform just superbly together. These Simmons Whitetails are fantastic for FAC heavy recoiling spring rifles and I have two of them for mine. Alas no longer made. I was lucky to find my 2nd scope as a mint condition, second hand bargain.

There is a very considerable amount of recoil with this rifle and to shoot it accurately, you have to exert a little more controlling grip with your controlling hand and a little pressure from your leading hand, or else she will jump about and scatter her groups if you use the normal light hold and resting forehand technique.

If we get to a meet together sometime, I'll bring her and you can try it for yourself on the ranges. :thumbs:

Best Regards Simon.

John. Hi.

I'll ask Andy when you'll be up for your HW80 and we'll meet up then! And next time I'm here we'll get together then too.

Cheers mate.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi I bought this rusty mk1 HW80 for £60 from a local SDS shop, I used the slack part of the belt on a 30"x1" linisher to grind down evenly until I reached the bottom of the pitting, I then polish

its only good natured banter Simon, as you well know, I can shoot a nats nacker off at yards with my quackenbush 1903 .177 rifle with Lanes catslugs!!, Mind you the recoil gets a bit savage! :whist

Post edited to enjoy a nice cup of Shut The F*ck Up!

Posted Images

Hi John.

If you really don't need to do it, don't chop it. You know, I'm thinking that maybe, some guys chop their HW80 barrels and swear the gun's brilliant for it because, they are not skilled enough marksmen to notice their rifle has now begun deviating it's shotfall from true zero.

Whereas, to some of us who can produce genuine one hole groups at considerable range, the effect of any accuracy lost in our rifles is very accutely felt!

I sincerely don't want to sound smug or bigheaded about my standards of shooting but, Weihrauch spring rifles are something I know a bit of something about and, I'm not sure, from personal experience, they like having their barrels chopped.

With your standards of marksmanship John, I'm certain you'd know it!

Regards mate.

Simon

Hi Elliott.

Well failing that mate, you are always welcome to pop over to me here with your rifles and we'll go shoot on my permission with this beastie. They are starting the corn and barley harvest now so, the grainfields will be quite active. The HW80 was purposely intended, from the outset to be a higher performance power spring rifle but, to get it into the UK market, Weihrauch brought it out in sub-12 ft/lb.

It is a fabulous rifle in whatever FP you choose. Powerful, reliable, consistent. Built as only the Germans know how and I love them to bits.

Best.

Simon

Hi Elliott.

Well failing that mate, you are always welcome to pop over to me here with your rifles and we'll go shoot on my permission with this beastie. They are starting the corn and barley harvest now so, the grainfields will be quite active. The HW80 was purposely intended, from the outset to be a higher performance power spring rifle but, to get it into the UK market, Weihrauch brought it out in sub-12 ft/lb.

It is a fabulous rifle in whatever FP you choose. Powerful, reliable, consistent. Built as only the Germans know how and I love them to bits.

Best.

Simon

That sounds great Simon, it would be a pleasure and I'm sure I'd learn a lot from you. Let me know the next time you're in Yorkshire and I'll try and bob over the border :)

ATB

I'm living in Pontefract. West Yorkshire, Lewis. I shoot over a lot of farmland at Wentbridge and Kirk Smeaton just a few miles from my home. My lady lives in Wiltshire so, I travel down as often as I can there. (Must get over to see Davy and Wurz and go shoot with them next time). Incidentally I learned to fly and got my PPL from a club at Teeside Airport. (Now Durham Tees Valley I believe.) I did a lot of flying over Yarm, Barnard Castle, and Sedgefield was often my approach location descent vector from northern border flights.

Is that more or less, your area?

Elliott you'd be most welcome and I'm sure I'll learn a thing or few from you too!

Regards to you both Gentlemen.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Whatever you do remember to chop any barrel is going to remove the "Choking" that they come out of the factory with, as Pianoman has said even when done profesionally removal of the choke allways results in a loss of accuracy compared with before cutting down the length.

I hate to throw spanner in the works BUT :laugh: .

Ive had a couple of barrels that ive had the choke cut OFF , and found a vast improvement in the accuracy .

Then clearly Craig it worked for you :yes: and that's good :thumbs: . All I'm trying to say is this is not a guarenteed, nailed-on, surefire mod to ensure successful improvement in accuracy. It didn't work out for me with my previous HW80 barrel :cray: and that's why I will never have one chopped again.

Regards mate.

Simon