Hi just picked up a cheap hw80 full length version, i'm thinking of cutting the barrel back and fitting a hw silencer to it, or would i be better leaving it original it still has the grooves at the end for the forsight, a freind of mine seems to think it wouldn't perform the same if i was to cut it back??????????

Cheers

Edited by thehoff

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi I bought this rusty mk1 HW80 for £60 from a local SDS shop, I used the slack part of the belt on a 30"x1" linisher to grind down evenly until I reached the bottom of the pitting, I then polish

its only good natured banter Simon, as you well know, I can shoot a nats nacker off at yards with my quackenbush 1903 .177 rifle with Lanes catslugs!!, Mind you the recoil gets a bit savage! :whist

Post edited to enjoy a nice cup of Shut The F*ck Up!

Posted Images

to be honest as long as the crown is good then performance shouldnt be too much differrent. once you chop the barrell you'll need to get it re-crowned if you aren't doing this yourself. You may lose a little velocity and a little long range accurancy but nothing to write home about.

Remember they also make the 80 in a carbine too! They even come direct from hull cartridge in a carbine, threaded with a mod on too.

Just dont go below the barrell length of an 80k.

R

Edited by Rm02
  • Like 1

To be honest, in the light of the sound advice already tended.

DON'T CHOP THAT HW80 BARREL.

Full-length HW80 barrels are designed to perform to their optimum at the lengths from the factory. I once had professionally chopped and crowned four inches from an '80 full-length barrel in the name of "fashionable" ease of handling. The work was done superbly well and properly finished...But, it never performed quite as well as it was before.

Buy an 80K barrel from Hull Cartridge if you need shorter length but, I do not see the wisdom in ruining a precision made barrel for the sake of any perceived advantage in handling. It won't really matter or make any improving difference in the end.

I have an FAC-tuned HW80 on my ticket, with not just a full length barrel but, made even longer with a webley-venom long slim silencer. Some who get to see it are amazed by how long my "Air Musket" looks....till they see what it can do!

Rabbits humanely shot out to 100-plus metres are no sweat for a supremely accurate barrel that delivers its pellet with all the compressive air forces working uncompromised behind it.

This HW80 is the very best example I've ever known and it will never be for sale. But the marque of this make of rifle is the finest break-barrel you can buy.

It's entirely up to you in the end but, I'd advise you to really take a good look at how the completed rifle feels and performs for you before you start making un-recoverable mods to it.

Regards.

Simon

Hi guys many thanks for the help and advice, ive decided to take your advice pianoman and leave it alone, i picked it up for £125 with a 3-9x40 scope, it needs a reblue and the stock has lots of scuffs and battlescars on it, but she feels very solid indeed, i'm not sure what power it is putting out, i will take it to the local gunshop over the weekend and get them to put it over the chrono, i really do like these rifles so intend to keep it for some time

Kind Regards

• Like 1

Nice one Hoff!

See what you think when you have this old '80 back to high standards again but, if you have a real one-hole tack-driver like mine, why ruin it? For me, the venerable HW80 and 80K were just perfect the day they left the factory and need no further cosmetic chopping!

All the best with it and let's have a look at how she turns out sometime :thumbs: .

Simon

While I would normally agree with simon on all things springer, I picked up an '80 earlier in the summer and will be chopping it down to about 12" or as short as it'll go and retain accuracy to 45-50yds so I can use it for hft and squizzer bashing. I'm not bothered about long range accuracy cos the pro sport covers that nicely..

Cheers, wurz

Edited by gurtwurz

Down to 12 inches or yet more off...pheww.

If you're certain that's going to work for your needs John, then all the best for it. I just did not have the happy outcome I was looking for and I just wish to warn our friend here that, this is by no means a sure-fire improving mod to make.

You sure that won't leave you with cocking issues?

Best regards mate.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Should be alright simon, I know I'm built like the president of club noodle but thanks to an active adolescence I have forearm strength of herculean proportions...

I'm gonna leave the final length of the 80 to the man who's sorting it for me, of which, more in the future, he knows what he's doing with hw's so if he thinks it needs extra length then so be it, but I'd like it as compact as poss.

How you doing simon mate? All good I hope?

Cheers, wurz

• Like 2

Should be alright simon, I know I'm built like the president of club noodle but thanks to an active adolescence I have forearm strength of herculean proportions...

I'm gonna leave the final length of the 80 to the man who's sorting it for me, of which, more in the future, he knows what he's doing with hw's so if he thinks it needs extra length then so be it, but I'd like it as compact as poss.

How you doing simon mate? All good I hope?

Cheers, wurz

If it's grouping correctly with a 12 inch barrel Wurz, leave it there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! :laugh::thumbs:

I'm well John thanks mate. The weather in the North has been absolute shit for shooting so not been out as much as I'd like. Still, what bit I've had has been rewarding. Andy has secured a decent new permission I'm itching to get a shoot over in decent weather. Is he doing the work on the '80 for you? He's a bloody wizz with springers is our Andy. He recently tuned my HW80 and smoothed and sweetened my HW77 superbly. :thumbs: Love em!

I'd really enjoy a meet up and a beer or few with you and Davy and Chaz next time I'm down at Helen's without having my time organised!

Best regards mate.

Simon

I have an FAC-tuned HW80 on my ticket, with not just a full length barrel but, made even longer with a webley-venom long slim silencer. Some who get to see it are amazed by how long my "Air Musket" looks....till they see what it can do!

Rabbits humanely shot out to 100-plus metres are no sweat for a supremely accurate barrel that delivers its pellet with all the compressive air forces working uncompromised behind it.

This HW80 is the very best example I've ever known and it will never be for sale.

Regards.

Simon

Wow, sounds very impressive Simon. Would love to see that. What ft/lb is it kicking out? I take it its .22?

I'm well John thanks mate. The weather in the North has been absolute shit for shooting so not been out as much as I'd like. Still, what bit I've had has been rewarding. Andy has secured a decent new permission I'm itching to get a shoot over in decent weather. Is he doing the work on the '80 for you? He's a bloody wizz with springers is our Andy. He recently tuned my HW80 and smoothed and sweetened my HW77 superbly. :thumbs: Love em!

I'd really enjoy a meet up and a beer or few with you and Davy and Chaz next time I'm down at Helen's without having my time organised!

Best regards mate.

Simon

well now, i'm in the west country on the weekend of the 28th/29th so i'm gonna bell davy later and see what those reprobates are up to, maybe we could meet up at old downs for a shoot in the morning and a beer or 3 after?

yep, andy's very kindly offered to tune and chop my '80 ready for the southern hunters series so i'm leaving the overall length up to him, i just want it as short as poss but if thats best served with the same length as an '80k then so be it, i just find it a bit long for wandering aimlessly over my permissions with(not to mention that with a mod on its too damn long to fit in any of my slips or on the back seat of the motor so i have to rezero it every time i drive somewhere cos me suspensions a bit hard...) .

i'm gonna change the stock too, highten the cheekpiece with some plastic padding and put a hamster (or piece of 3"x2" as it'll be better known) under it, its gonna look like boris karloff but hopefully it'll shoot and shoulder as sweet as. the perfect juxtaposition to all the shiny ft guns, kinda like the airgun equivalent of turning up at a harley davidson owners meet on a japanese rat bike lol

if youre not about on the 28/29th then i'm up in yorkshire somewhere on the second weekend of september so if youre at home around then maybe we could do beer and shooting at your end? theres a warm welcome down here awaiting you if you ever fancy a trip to the south coast too mate, its only a couple of hours from your good lady's..

cheers, wurz

• Like 1