Quickset Review

Dazzam

After watching many of the rabbiting videos and dvds over the years i was always of the opinion that longnetting was best left for the pro's. There are a few places i ferret were it is almost impossible to net and the rabbits are absolutely thriving in theses areas. Towards the end of last season i made a promise to myself that i was going to give the longnet a go. After searching The Hunting Life, Youtube and Google for anything on longnetting it seemed that the Quickset Longnet was the best option for beginners. A few weeks ago i purchased a 50yd 6oz Quickset from JBS Nets at my local Gamefair and my mate, Vermin Catcher on here, got a 50yd 4oz Quickset from 10Nelson on Ebay. Other than one being a 6oz and the other a 4oz, on comparing the two nets we notcied there were slight differences in the design and setup of the two but how these differences would affect us out in the field was new to us.

10Nelsons had 10 poles over the 50yds, JBS Nets had 8 poles over the 50yds.

10Nelsons nets were attached to the poles using grommets which we found much easier to use when adjusting the height of the net or how far the poles were pushed into the ground. JBS Nets were attached using castration bands, although i'm not sure about being biodegradable but i did find them very difficult to use when adjusting the net on the poles.

10Nelsons basket was much deeper allowing for much more room if the same basket was to be used for multiple longnets of varying lengths. Also the poles on 10Nelsons were set further back in the basket allowing for easier use when picking up the longnet.

Both nets did their job very well out in the field and after their first couple of uses they caught every rabbit that hit them.

Before anyone gives us any grief for hunting during the breeding season, now is the best time of year to get new permission as some of the fields are being over run with rabbits and its a great opportunity to get new permission.

I was so impressed with 10Nelsons system i ordered a 50yd 6oz for myself and within 24hrs of placing the order the net arrived by courier.....now that's quick.

If two complete novices as us can use the Quicksets with good success then anyone can use them them!!!

Hope the above information helps anyone considering giving the Quickset Longnet System a go.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I re-designed the basket to my own version. I make them out of 6mm s/s bar and use a slot system. You stack the poles on top of each other, no poles getting jumbled up, they have a nice bow in so are

Posted Images

cracking review have a few quicksets of different suppliers going to order a couple of 50yarders for this coming season of nelson them grommets look a lot better than the old lamb rings on my others basket looks well made as well no up rights to snag net on

cracking review have a few quicksets of different suppliers going to order a couple of 50yarders for this coming season of nelson them grommets look a lot better than the old lamb rings on my others basket looks well made as well no up rights to snag net on

You won't be disappointed mate great bit of kit.

I have one too,Very good for the price the only trouble i find is the knots holding the grommets keep slipping,This then means either putting them all back on every time you set it out,Then the QUICK SET aint as quick,or just ignoring the fact and ending up with lose top wires.Any way of stoping the knots from slipping.

Guest scramble

I have one too,Very good for the price the only trouble i find is the knots holding the grommets keep slipping,This then means either putting them all back on every time you set it out,Then the QUICK SET aint as quick,or just ignoring the fact and ending up with lose top wires.Any way of stoping the knots from slipping.

a clove hitch shouldn't slip mate, if you've got a problem with your net give nelson a shout im sure he'll put it right if it isnt 100%

SCRAMBLE

The first pic shows Nelsons net attached using the grommet method and the second pic is JBS using the castration band method. The grommet looks so much neater and tidier and is easily slid up and down the pole to adjust the setting of the net.

post-58057-0-69934300-1343680178.jpg post-58057-0-51470200-1343680197.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the baskets. The first pic is Nelsons and you can see the poles further back in the basket making it much easier when running out and picking up the net. The second is JBS which worked ok but you had to be more careful when picking up the net as there was less room when feeding the net into the basket.

post-58057-0-09245200-1343680572.jpg post-58057-0-32379000-1343680594.jpg

And lastly here's a pic showing the difference in the amount of netting in each basket.

post-58057-0-95050100-1343680752.jpg

The poles on each net were 10mm diameter.

Nelsons poles were approx 83cm (10 off)

JBS poles were aprox 90cm (8 off)

Hope this helps.

Eight poles on fifty yards is plenty , mate. I stopped using grommets years ago and changed them all for narrow cable ties.

I posted this once before and someone suggested they might snag but in over ten years with a quickset I've never had a problem and they move fairly easily when you're netting on soft ground

Eight poles on fifty yards is plenty , mate. I stopped using grommets years ago and changed them all for narrow cable ties.

I posted this once before and someone suggested they might snag but in over ten years with a quickset I've never had a problem and they move fairly easily when you're netting on soft ground

I'm not being nosey mate, just trying to learn as much as i can in case i need to do a fix in the future but why did you stop using the grommets and change them for narrow cable ties.

No probs, mate. That was a very good review .

I had trouble with knots slipping on grommets, tried castration bands but just wasn't happy with them. TBH i happened to have a load of narrow cable ties at the time and thought I'd try them on one net (I've got three 50 yarders) as they worked so well I changed the lot. Slipping knots aren't too much of a problem in daylight but they are a real pain in the arse at night :thumbs:

Guest scramble

That set up from nelson looks the biz ,cant find him on ebay any idea how i could get in touch

search long nets on ebay in the hunting section his name is 10nelson2000

SCRAMBLE