Pricked eared whippets.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can still catch rabbits   Even though i did not want him too. Been out doing mole work and took Boo for the day. First one lifted as i was looking at the hills, not long after we got into the fiel

One thing he isn't as good as the lurcher for......           Carrying the mole traps and pegs.   But i don't think his ears are at fault for that

If you think about it logically though. Most successfull wild animals all have pricked ears...hyena, lion, wolf, mustelids etc etc etc. Could it be that folded ears are actually the fault, bred into

Posted Images

. I also used a show dog over Vixen to produce 'Sagar' and he's a good grafter too.

Vixen may well be a good grafter but i will never know unless i seen it with my own eye's as some of us expect a lot more from a dog graft wise than other's..what would you do if she had pricked ear's..would you have culled her.. :hmm:

I get a little confused.

My whippets ears are normal some of the time, and pricked up at other times, usually when he is really excited, can hear something or is very focused on prey.

Also, surely the idea of 'breed standards', has been pretty damaging to a lot of breeds, with an obsession of what it 'should' look like, rather than general health, and ability to carry out a function / task. Now obviously, i guess, there have to be some limits, in order to define a 'breed', but i'm not understanding how working dog men, can say something is a 'bad fault' when it's purely asthetic, and has absolutly no bearing whatsoever on function, or ability.

I would always say breed worker x worker and only worry about the faults if they are related to health or ability. It's like saying, you pick one dog over another as a stud, even though it's not done a days work in it's life, because it's color matches your dogs, and will give a nice evenly matched litter.

I've seen alot of worker to worker litters mate, and i'd be horrified if i'd bred them. It's each to there own but believe me when i say even though i used a non working stud dog to produce Vixen it hasn't effected her working ability in anyway as people on here who have seen her work will confirm. I also used a show dog over Vixen to produce 'Sagar' and he's a good grafter too.

I'm not knocking your whippets at all mate, i've heard from all that have seen them, that they are top!

However, it just doesnt sit well, this idea of breeding for a asthetic specification?

Out of interest, why would you have been horrified by said worker x worker litters?

They were the poorest example of whippets i've seen mate, they were short backed, no chest, bad feet and stick up ears!!. I saw a working bred 9 month old pup at the midland a couple of years ago and he was 23" with still a bit of knuckle left, he was built more like a greyhound. If people continue to bred regardless of the breed standard what type of whippets will we end up with??.

Then you have people breeding from unsound dogs, dogs with only one testicle resulting in the pups throwing pups with no decended testicles at all, some lines are effected more than others.

Whippet breed standard

General Appearance

Balanced combination of muscular power and strength with elegance and grace of outline. Built for speed and work. All forms of exaggeration should be avoided.

Characteristics

An ideal companion. Highly adaptable in domestic and sporting surroundings.

Temperament

Gentle, affectionate, even disposition.

Head and Skull

Long and lean, flat on top, tapering to muzzle with slight stop, rather wide between the eyes, jaws powerful and clean-cut, nose black, in blues a bluish colour permitted, liver nose in creams and other dilute colours, in whites or parti-colour a butterfly nose permissible.

Eyes

Oval, bright, expression very alert.

Ears

Rose shaped, small, fine in texture.

Mouth

Jaws strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck

Long, muscular, elegantly arched.

Forequarters

Shoulders well laid back with flat muscles. Moderate space between the shoulder blades at the withers. The upper arm is approximately of equal length to the shoulder, placed so that the elbow falls directly under the withers when viewed in profile. Forearms straight and upright with moderate bladed bone. Front not too wide. Pasterns strong with slight spring.

Body

Chest very deep with plenty of heart room. Well filled in front. Brisket deep. Broad, well muscled back, firm, somewhat long, showing graceful arch over the loin but not humped. Ribs well sprung. Loin giving impression of strength and power. Definite tuck up.

Hindquarters

Strong, broad across thighs, with well developed second thighs. Stifles well bent without exaggeration with hocks well let down. Able to stand naturally over a lot of ground.

Feet

Oval, well split up between toes, knuckles well arched, pads thick, nails strong.

Tail

No feathering. Long, tapering, reaching at least to the hock. When in action carried in a delicate curve not higher than the back.

Gait/Movement

Should possess great freedom of action. In profile should move with a long, easy stride whist holding topline. The forelegs should be thrown forward and low over the ground. Hind legs should come well under the body giving greater propelling power. General movement not to look stilted, high stepping, short or mincing. True coming and going.

Coat

Fine, short, close in texture.

Colour

Any colour or mixture of colours.

Size

Desirable height: dogs: 47-51 cms (181/2-20 ins); bitches: 44-47 cms (171/2-181/2 ins).

Faults

Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Note

Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

I do like to see a nice stamp of a whippet Mally but all that information is irrelevant as far as working them goes..like i said and will alway's say fook what they look like aslong as they can fill the bag.. :yes:

I do like to see a nice stamp of a whippet Mally but all that information is irrelevant as far as working them goes..like i said and will alway's say fook what they look like aslong as they can fill the bag.. :yes:

How can it be irrelevent if the dogs have bad feet?? like i said if folk keep breeding worker to worker without looking at the faults, the whippet will suffer in the long term.

My dogs working ability is the most important to me, however i also like them to look like a whippet. There is no reason why both can't go hand in hand.

Mike Brown introduced show lines into his lines years ago as he thought they would add to his line of whippets.

How can it be irrelevent if the dogs have bad feet?? like i said if folk keep breeding worker to worker without looking at the faults, the whippet will suffer in the long term.

My dogs working ability is the most important to me, however i also like them to look like a whippet. There is no reason why both can't go hand in hand.

Mike Brown introduced show lines into his lines years ago as he thought they would add to his line of whippets.

You see we have diverged now, as obviously no chest and bad feet etc, really do make problems for the dogs functional ability, whereas ear carrige doesnt mean shit.

I can understand you wanting to keep whippets looking like whippets Mally. But could you not have found a working whippet without aesthetic faults to use?

Did you contemplate that you might get average or worse for working ability in your litter or in future litters from the offspring? A heck of a gamble, i know i couldn't have done it. Would you use non working stock over the offspring or go back to workers?

I know that most KC ped whippets will have show stock somewhere in their lineage, mine does......and he still got pricked ears :doh::haha: The bone man, who sees a LOT of whippets actually thought Boo was non ped, he also has a long, thick coat (for a whippet) said he must be a throw back....cheeky sod :laugh:

I actually think whippets and lurchers like Chalkies really suit picked up ears :D

I can understand you wanting to keep whippets looking like whippets Mally. But could you not have found a working whippet without aesthetic faults to use?

Did you contemplate that you might get average or worse for working ability in your litter or in future litters from the offspring? A heck of a gamble, i know i couldn't have done it. Would you use non working stock over the offspring or go back to workers?

I know that most KC ped whippets will have show stock somewhere in their lineage, mine does......and he still got pricked ears :doh::haha: The bone man, who sees a LOT of whippets actually thought Boo was non ped, he also has a long, thick coat (for a whippet) said he must be a throw back....cheeky sod :laugh:

I actually think whippets and lurchers like Chalkies really suit picked up ears :D

I did look around for a working stud dog and had a couple i really liked but the owners wern't prepared to let me see the dogs work even though they said they were great workers!!!. So i decided on the show dog i used on a number of factors, Jess the Dam was a result of a mother to son mating bred by Mike Brown and i felt i needed to outcross from those lines. The dog i used is a very nicely put together dog. I wouldn't say it was a gamble as such as Jess the dam was a good working bitch and thankfully the 2 out of the litter of 4 have turned out to be excellent workers. I've seen 100% show bred whippets that are very good workers, if there trained and entered correctly they will work just fine. I used another show bred dog over Vixen to produce my dog Sagar making him 3/4 show bred and he's doing really well in the field.

post-2056-0-32679800-1343250313_thumb.jpg

'Sagar' (Mallyfield Dream Mover) 3/4 show bred

so the other 2 failed?? are they pets or where they pts??

i really like whippets an always have, but for the job i expect my dogs to do at this point in time they are not suitable, i will have 1 in the future tho, or atleast plan to, an i couldnae gee 2 flying flooks aboot ears, papers or any other shit that comes with whippets, as long as BOTH sire an dam are doing the jobs they werew bred/designed for then ill be happy, i never seem to look at a dogs ears when its in mid chase, i watch the action :D