transporter versus transit

my son and i have been debating for the last few weeks as to which van is better in general,more robust and hardl like.So what do you think.I drive the transit and swear by it.Ive had conflicting views so just wondering what you might think.Looking forward to reading the replys.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's for that reason I have no bother parking my t4 up in lanes nobody expects a flock of lurchers to come out where as a transit parked up brings unwanted attention round my way

stick with the oul shape tranny .

they go on for ever the old shape transits..................

my mate bought a 07 transporter 2 weeks ago week engine went in it on friday dont know whether it was bad luck or he was stung with it,2000 get it fixed his gone on anti depressants since :laugh:we use a 03 transit for work and it doesnt give an ounce bother and it does get a battering where we take it on forestry roads but loves its diesel too :thumbs:

depends what transit... the older shape were hard to beat for repairing and parts only thing is , is they aint the quickest

no matter what model transit id choose it over a vw , as i hate them :laugh:

depends what transit... the older shape were hard to beat for repairing and parts only thing is , is they aint the quickest

• Like 1

no they don`t, theres that little actual rust proofing on them they fall apart with rot, not done much work on the veedubs but the body work is more robust, as far as the mechanicals go, service history is king, if there aint one, walk away (same for the tranny, modern motors wont take the abuse that the older motors would) oil changes are a must and no matter what it costs, use the right spec oils, if your not sure, look for the castrol website, they have a good search facility on that , just have to put in the reg number and it gives spec and quantity

no they don`t, theres that little actual rust proofing on them they fall apart with rot, not done much work on the veedubs but the body work is more robust, as far as the mechanicals go, service history is king, if there aint one, walk away (same for the tranny, modern motors wont take the abuse that the older motors would) oil changes are a must and no matter what it costs, use the right spec oils, if your not sure, look for the castrol website, they have a good search facility on that , just have to put in the reg number and it gives spec and quantity

any views on the merc sprinter neil.

i drive an 05 t280 transit and its a hell of a bus but a little juicy I think.I have mine serviced regularly,from the brakes to the lot and its a pleasure to drive.we were debating about the toughness of the gearboxes and engines on the VW's and if they can take the donkey work the trannys do.Of course my son being 17 has GOT to be right,so thats what we were aiming to find out.

• Like 1

VW every time mines on 200,000 miles and hasn't let me down ford(found on roadside dead) rot quick,engines go quick and are juicy.

We have loads of trannys in for scrapping at work but rarely get a VW in,says alot.

• Like 1

yep got to agree westie,the transit does draw unwanted attention,if the farmer doesnt know you he jumps to the conclusion it may be ''THE COUSINS'' :laugh:

how are they westie on juice compared to the trannys?I might in a while take a shot at one if I thought they were durable.