please can anyone enlighten me on to what may be killing our poults ?

the heads are off and guts ripped out its really gone to town on them

and there still in the pens

any pointers please the lads have not seen anything

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any chance of this weekends lottery numbers lads cause there,s more chance of guessing them than knowing whats killed they poults without knowing all the facts and seeing a carcass.chances are that it

I'm saying a tawny owl head off and mostly guts out off the side. If he plucked 1 without ripping the skin he'd see more damage if it was a cub,ferret or mink they still have to catch em to take the h

RATS MY ARSE

Posted Images

they have been in since last tues ,ive not seen the carcasses yet just what the lads said who s checking them daily @teatime only

as he is @ college ,

one was pulled through the fox grid?

it well could be a owl as theres a few down there( tawnys mainly)

thanks for the replies

if its getting pulled through the fox grid then wont be an owl mate BOP will eat at intervals so its a ground predator that can fit through grid so your have four main species 1.weasal 2.stoat 3.rat 4. small/young pine martin! that leaves you with couple options if its a pine martin deterants or if its other 3 fenn trap with grid on the box also to find out what it is use a camera like stealth one put it where the carcess is being pulled through when the suspect walks by bang got picture evdince and take your method of control from there!!

I'm sure a bird of prey would be carrying them away at this time of the year as they will be feeding young and they don't usualy eat the head's first..my money would be on a mink or stoat..

• Like 1

birds of prey cant carry things away if they eat to much or weigh to much cant not take off like you seen with vultures in africa after they savage they hop around and it could be a mink if there is a water way near by but main thing would be rats,staots or weasal going but what has been said also BOP wouldnt pull cacress through the grids

• Like 1

if its getting pulled through the fox grid then wont be an owl mate BOP will eat at intervals so its a ground predator that can fit through grid so your have four main species 1.weasal 2.stoat 3.rat 4. small/young pine martin! that leaves you with couple options if its a pine martin deterants or if its other 3 fenn trap with grid on the box also to find out what it is use a camera like stealth one put it where the carcess is being pulled through when the suspect walks by bang got picture evdince and take your method of control from there!!

Its hard to tell but now that he has said that the lad looking after them is there once a day then it could be lots of things. If he is 100% sure that a cub has not got in then i'm still sticking with owl.....its a trademark style for them to whip the heads off. The one pulled through the fox grid could be anything like a stoat, weasel, mink, ferret......to hard to tell really. I dont think its a rat by any means, these are 7/8 week old poults i'd imagine...a rat wouldn't bother them.

• Like 1

I fly a bird of prey and i know fine well he could carry a young poult into a tree..and as for them eating too much a wild bird of prey only eat's enough to keep itself going they do not pig them self's like a falconry bird that is cut down in weight..also a wild BOP will have it's priority on feeding chick's in the nest and not itself..

Its hard to tell but now that he has said that the lad looking after them is there once a day then it could be lots of things. If he is 100% sure that a cub has not got in then i'm still sticking with owl.....its a trademark style for them to whip the heads off. The one pulled through the fox grid could be anything like a stoat, weasel, mink, ferret......to hard to tell really. I dont think its a rat by any means, these are 7/8 week old poults i'd imagine...a rat wouldn't bother them.

very true tawneys have a reputation for taking the heads off poults, a good look at the bodies is the only sure way to tell really :thumbs:
  • Like 1