I not that young but I have read my post where I said about rat killing redtail I should of explained it a bit clearer and thinking that everyone knows how untrained birds are kept for there own safety and the owners of course the bird at the time was tethered to it bow perch so would not be able to fly up on a perch would only at best be about 1ft off the floor and only be able to fly about 2 maybe 3 foot in any direction which is why rats can kill bop. yer I probably deserve some stick for that post as it reads. but I think I have proven the deer part lol

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any chance of this weekends lottery numbers lads cause there,s more chance of guessing them than knowing whats killed they poults without knowing all the facts and seeing a carcass.chances are that it

I'm saying a tawny owl head off and mostly guts out off the side. If he plucked 1 without ripping the skin he'd see more damage if it was a cub,ferret or mink they still have to catch em to take the h

RATS MY ARSE

Posted Images

I'm not going to speculate on what is killing the poults...... as others have already said, it could be more than one pest taking advantage of a situation.

BUT..............

I do know for a fact, that rats can and do take full grown hens.

I've had several jobs in my professional lifetime where I've actually seen rats kill full grown hens in big laying units. I've also seen them dragging birds out of battery cages.

I have never, however, seen rats take pheasant poults. I suppose it depends on the situation.

Pandas, on the other hand, are a whole different proposition...........

Edited to add; guts and brains are classic rat feeding. Mr Busby tends to peck out the chest and work his way in that way, rat will burrow in from the vent. Whether the rats actually killed the birds is the question. As others have already said, a brood of young owls will take great pleasure in practising on a good feed ride, and that would leave plenty of carrion for the rats.

Rats should not be tolerated anywhere on a keepered shoot.

Edited by Matt the Rat

but could a rat kill it whilst it slept :laugh:

For some reason unknown i very much doubt it .. :thumbs: ..bearing in mind i have picked the hawk up at dinner time on one occasion and he had slug trail's al over his back.. :blink: ..

I not that young but I have read my post where I said about rat killing redtail I should of explained it a bit clearer and thinking that everyone knows how untrained birds are kept for there own safety and the owners of course the bird at the time was tethered to it bow perch so would not be able to fly up on a perch would only at best be about 1ft off the floor and only be able to fly about 2 maybe 3 foot in any direction which is why rats can kill bop. yer I probably deserve some stick for that post as it reads. but I think I have proven the deer part lol

fox http://falconryforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-59060.html, accidental flights that never amounted to kills with the odd staged picture :whistling:

deer- http://falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=111347 all the youtube clips you put up last time were of eagles not redtails. :whistling:

rats- i will say again, a rat will not kill a redtail either freelofted or on a bow. :thumbs:

what ever is doing this it needs to be stopped quickly or it will

become costly in the end atb

if you catch/kill the culprit let us know :thumbs:

Pole traps are illegal!!

Where did he say he was going to use a pole trap?

He didnt just a statement should have put :nono: after it!

Mind you the bloody Poles will kill and eat anything!! :laugh:

Edited by masmiffy