Longnetting lurcher myth or legend

Firstly you would need a good steady dog to stay while you set the net Then once nets set send off to hunt up and knowing to drive to the net easier sed than done that would be the big one. Then once driven to the nets either wait while you chin the rabbit or off back to hunt I think the dog when more experienced at his job would hunt the field when he knows the rabbit has been taken care of it would be a hard job to do but would be great to see the dog work like this.

Border collie comes to mind. :thumbs:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DEPENDS on your deffinition of a net dog,,,,, if you had 2 or even 3 ,,,100 yard long nets droped,,, thats 2-3 hundred yards wide along a wood , or bank,,, i dont honestly see any type of dog workin

There was a simular topic a few years ago on another forum. It run for many pages. To be honest it was a very good thread, in that a lot of people gave input and insight.   Although at the conclusio

reddawn,as you probably know nothing is set in stone with the "longnetting game" and everyones approach to the game is different.i admire your conviction in trying the dog route. i do as you do locall

border collies seem to made for the job when you think about it, but thats on paper, what about in the field, an they aint lurchers either, so maybe some a the guys way things like 3/4 reverse collie lurchers can tell us how they think there dogs would cope with the given tasks....

to be honest if i could find a dog that could do this job, no matter of breed i think id have 1, i do enjoy netting solo, but i reckon it would be more attractive wth a tyke for company :D

Firstly you would need a good steady dog to stay while you set the net Then once nets set send off to hunt up and knowing to drive to the net easier sed than done that would be the big one. Then once driven to the nets either wait while you chin the rabbit or off back to hunt I think the dog when more experienced at his job would hunt the field when he knows the rabbit has been taken care of it would be a hard job to do but would be great to see the dog work like this.

cant think of another dog that would do it.

cant think of another dog that would do it.

when we was kids a few family memebers had mongrels, or atleast thats what we called them, thay all come from same place, a keeper that lived in a wee place caled crieff? spelling? its in scotland anyways, well there was a keeper there who had black labs, an he bred them to a collie, an them pups were seriously smart, iv always thought about using a x like this, but seeing as i got collies to hand, would be silly not to try with them :thumbs:

For me it would have to be a creeping,sniveling subserviant type what ever its breed,i think it would only be trained for the purpose and not used for anything else,definatley a non retriever (not encouraged to pick up anything)....thoughts anyone ?

For me it would have to be a creeping,sniveling subserviant type what ever its breed,i think it would only be trained for the purpose and not used for anything else,definatley a non retriever (not encouraged to pick up anything)....thoughts anyone ?

ive told you hancock 1st cross, my mate swears his is anti blood sport :laugh:
  • Like 1

i dont think id use such a dog for any other job, but saying that my dogs can tell a lot of diffrences so maybe we aint geeing dogs as much credit as they deserve.... but i deffo cant see the type of lurcher i use for lamping being able to master this trade, even tho they are pretty competent ferreters

ive told you hancock 1st cross, my mate swears his is anti blood sport :laugh:

ye know mate, a pal of my cousins used to tag along an come bunnys bashing wae us on lamp, an he was always fetching a diffrent dog oot his menagerie everytime he appeared, he kept a few whippets an a few assorted lurchers, he does well at lurcher shows an racing, but anyways, after a few trips out this guy had brought summat like 4 diffrent whippets whith him an each was as bad as each other on lamp, an we wasnae really doing taxing land or educated bunnys either lol

but to cut a ong story short, he appeard 1 nite way the best lookin colliex i had ever laid eyes on, big strappin red merle thing, i couldnae belive he had been messin way whippets until noo when i seen it lol, so off we goes ont the dales an start lampin, well i can tell you in 3 seasons an over 100 outing that dog caught 3 bunnys, an im sure as shit all 3 commited hari kari whilst running for home, so i can well beleive hancocks dogs throwing antis :laugh:

sorry for that lets get back to long netting mutts :D

Can you imagine how many nights would be ruined by training such a pup but when everything jelled together.. wow.. what a dog youd have.

Had many a ruined night and day training dogs.What scares me is trying to call off a dog running at full tilt towards a net.

Hi reddawn ,, Crieff now that brings back many happy memories of night netting. I used to do a few drops on the Glenturret and Monzie Estates grounds, the higher ground had a few good sets .. Happy memories indeed..

Regards.

i has family that lived there, never got to see a long net in action there, never even knew they existed back then, i musta been waist high to me uncles lol, i do have very good memorys of ferreting a lod of old banking, like an old railway or similar, them banking were awsome, they ceratinly held some bunnys, i can remember looking at 40 bunnys after a day out an thinking wow thatll feed whole family for weeks :D