Longnetting lurcher myth or legend

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DEPENDS on your deffinition of a net dog,,,,, if you had 2 or even 3 ,,,100 yard long nets droped,,, thats 2-3 hundred yards wide along a wood , or bank,,, i dont honestly see any type of dog workin

There was a simular topic a few years ago on another forum. It run for many pages. To be honest it was a very good thread, in that a lot of people gave input and insight.   Although at the conclusio

reddawn,as you probably know nothing is set in stone with the "longnetting game" and everyones approach to the game is different.i admire your conviction in trying the dog route. i do as you do locall

i use my dogs to get bunnys to bolt towards a net in the late evenings sometimes, but if im out netting at night an trying to get results then i leave dogs at home, but like Chalkwarren said on here lastnight on minshaw thread, on using a tyke to clear a crop field after running a few nets out in front of your chosen burys is good fun an can be very entertaining sometimes, always amazes me what bolts out of crop fields :D

Ye night time mick or even day but using it properly.ye I get what your saying the one .Ye you've had a bit of luck latly on the netting reddawn I'm gonna try my dog on the longnet in day where its rough with only one or two around there as for in night I don't know of many spots to really have a good go rabbits local to me are thin on the ground.thanks for replys!

The idea of training a dog for the longnet appealled to me many moons ago, but as the years have gone by i realised im doing ok as i am (by myself or one other).does such a dog exist..maybe, id love to walk out with one if anyone genuinely has one (ill provide the land).

The idea of training a dog for the longnet appealled to me many moons ago, but as the years have gone by i realised im doing ok as i am (by myself or one other).does such a dog exist..maybe, id love to walk out with one if anyone genuinely has one (ill provide the land).

iv also toyed with the idea of trying to train a dog up for the task i as i have said elsewhere have used a lurcher now ana gain to clear crop fields whilst netting, but i dont think a lurcher could be trained to e a night time netting dog, or atleast not by me lol

i have a few border collies close to hand that i could try it with, but i have just never got round to it, maybe day...

lets make ths thread a bit more practicall, an lets hear what yous guys would/or do expect from a dog that works at night with long nets, not a days ferreting with long nets :thumbs:

iv also toyed with the idea of trying to train a dog up for the task i as i have said elsewhere have used a lurcher now ana gain to clear crop fields whilst netting, but i dont think a lurcher could be trained to e a night time netting dog, or atleast not by me lol

i have a few border collies close to hand that i could try it with, but i have just never got round to it, maybe day...

lets make ths thread a bit more practicall, an lets hear what yous guys would/or do expect from a dog that works at night with long nets, not a days ferreting with long nets :thumbs:

surley carnt be that difficult as long as the net is in the correct place and the dog understands where and what the net is then bobs your uncle, be interesting to see if anyone does it though, would make you lurcher hunt up off the lamp quick though :laugh: :laugh:

surley carnt be that difficult as long as the net is in the correct place and the dog understands where and what the net is then bobs your uncle, be interesting to see if anyone does it though, would make you lurcher hunt up off the lamp quick though :laugh: :laugh:

How would you train the dog not to break its legs on the first attempt. :laugh: :laugh:

bit more to it than that tho aint there lol 1st off my lurchers wouldnt do the job, they too highly driven, they understand nets an will work with them during the day pushing bunnys into them an hoppin the nets, that just come fae a load a practise during the season,

but to ask a dog to sit patiently whilst ye set your nets, then to ask a dog to go an walk in the land you want done, without paying too much attention to 1 rabbit in particular, an instead more concenrateing on covering the land an getting them all shifted, then to have it sit by you again whilst you chin an deal with the bunnys in net, an all in a nice clam steady manner lol then its time to move onto the next spot an do it all again, id love to see 1 in action an am seriously thinking about making some time to fetch marley the blue merle collie on an see if he will work the nets, what i got to lose, apart from a lot of time getting the dog out the net :D

• Like 1

bit more to it than that tho aint there lol 1st off my lurchers wouldnt do the job, they too highly driven, they understand nets an will work with them during the day pushing bunnys into them an hoppin the nets, that just come fae a load a practise during the season,

but to ask a dog to sit patiently whilst ye set your nets, then to ask a dog to go an walk in the land you want done, without paying too much attention to 1 rabbit in particular, an instead more concenrateing on covering the land an getting them all shifted, then to have it sit by you again whilst you chin an deal with the bunnys in net, an all in a nice clam steady manner lol then its time to move onto the next spot an do it all again, id love to see 1 in action an am seriously thinking about making some time to fetch marley the blue merle collie on an see if he will work the nets, what i got to lose, apart from a lot of time getting the dog out the net :D

i know someone with a hancock first cross that would fit the bill perfect, it just like to herd rabbits shows no interest in picking them up at all, its highly intelligent to boot,

I suppose you would require a dog that wouldn't mind seeing the rabbit in the net and either stand while you get it out or off out to hunt again.Maybe a kind that would pull up short,it would be a lot of ups and downs doing it trail and error but getting out man and dog working together.

Firstly you would need a good steady dog to stay while you set the net Then once nets set send off to hunt up and knowing to drive to the net easier sed than done that would be the big one. Then once driven to the nets either wait while you chin the rabbit or off back to hunt I think the dog when more experienced at his job would hunt the field when he knows the rabbit has been taken care of it would be a hard job to do but would be great to see the dog work like this.