Started my first batch of cider

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must figure out how to measure the alcohol content in this stuff, one bottle and that's me Feeling no pain here

I've discovered something interesting during my, ehmmm, sampling process.   When I open the swing top bottles and they give a loud POP!, that's a good'un.   But, when they give no pop, or just a t

Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?     Well no, it can't be, the yeast has only gone in   Got 25 litres of Lidl cloudy apple juice and youngs

I've been looking forward to hearing from you on this thread John.I have tried a few different recipes off the net,its not worth the hastle tbh.

I was thinking of the taste of bulmers,but if you look at the ingredients of bulmers/magners its made from 17 different verities of apples.

Have us cider lovers a chance of a great home brew :hmm:

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread :yes:

• Like 1

I make cider but i pulp my apples and then press them the hardest bit is the pulping or scratting as it is known i have just sourced a garden shredder for this and i have a vigo press' when you get your juice you can take a chance and let the natural yeast in the apples start the fermentation process or get a good cider yeast or champagne yeast to get it going' before its fermented is the time to take your alcohol reading with a hydrometer few tips cleanliness keep the brew airtight or you end up with vinegar and patience'one more thing if it starts smelling of rotten eggs this is normal and goes away in a few days it is a sulphur reaction in the fermentation process known as rhino farts this is definetley the time of year to make the most of all the apples out there' good luck :D .

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must figure out how to measure the alcohol content in this stuff, one bottle and that's me :laugh: Feeling no pain here :thumbs:

ah that explains it... ;):laugh:

Yeah, what's your excuse? :laugh:

Trying to divert some anger after a certain rugby match... :(:laugh:

Not all of the bottles are fizzy. I don't know why, it all came from the same batch. The really, really, really bad shit seems to be in those bottles. The fizz in the other bottles seems to distract ones tastebuds from the inevitable lol

I've discovered something interesting during my, ehmmm, sampling process.

When I open the swing top bottles and they give a loud POP!, that's a good'un.

But, when they give no pop, or just a tiny pop, that's when I know it's a wrng'un.

To sum up, my cider is like farts, the silent ones are deadly :bad:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's something I must look into, I have heard of those tablets before, Poured two bottles down the sink again today. After downing two 500ml bottles here, lightweight I may be, but when it's good, it's f*****g real good lol................. JG, feeling no pain :D.