34 replies to this topic

#16 Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52 pm

:) always up for a laugh mate.. atleast the fella here has questioned it not like alot of pigeon fanciers i know when they get a "stray"
  • BEARINATOR likes this

#17 eddoakley

eddoakley

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:24 am

I race pigeons too, never beaten one yet.
Edd

#18 wabbit slayer

wabbit slayer

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:26 pm

Question? Why would your licence be gone and also get a fine for shooting ringed or racing pigeons. Its hard to tell them from ferals when you are culling them.

#19 leslie harold gedge

leslie harold gedge

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:25 am

if you cant tell what it is dont shoot it.it is ilegal to shoot raceing pigeons the police look at it has you dont know what you are doing. everybody has done it when shooting feral pigeons that is wye sometimes the law is a ass.iknow a lad who shot 20 odd pigeons the police turned up asked him if he had permission yes he did then 1 of the police noticed the ring on a pigeon he reported him 500 pound fine and lost his licence.told him to reply in 10 years.les
  • shotgun tim likes this

#20 nrat

nrat

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:56 am

so why shoot it to start with ??, GOLDEN RULE WHEN SHOOTING IDENTIFY YOUR QUARRY BEFORE SHOOTING
  • poacher3161, Lab and shotgun tim like this

#21 wabbit slayer

wabbit slayer

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:56 am

Yes i always say the same identify before you shoot. however if your clearing loads of flying ferrals around a farm and some racing pigeons are mixed in with them. how would you tell the difference? Some times its not untill you pick up at the end of the day that you notice them.

#22 Lab

Lab

Wasnt the carling....it was the tennents and the scrumpy.honest

• Donator
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:40 pm

so why shoot it to start with ??, GOLDEN RULE WHEN SHOOTING IDENTIFY YOUR QUARRY BEFORE SHOOTING

:thumbs: .I think that is defo' the bigger question here......why shoot it and leave it lying? :hmm: Fair enough if it was a crow but why a pigeon. If it was a woody then were you going to take it home or are you just one of these lads that shoot anything that moves?
  • shotgun tim likes this

#23 wabbit slayer

wabbit slayer

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:15 pm

No i gather them as i go and dispatch any that need it but at the end of the day is when you have your final count.

#24 Lab

Lab

• Donator
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:11 pm

No i gather them as i go and dispatch any that need it but at the end of the day is when you have your final count.

I was talking to the OP(Thomson) mate............... :thumbs:

#25 wabbit slayer

wabbit slayer

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:14 pm

Sorry im thick (op-thompson) ??????

#26 The one

The one

Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

• Donator
  • 39,114 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:58 pm

Why shoot it leave it then feel the need to tell every one on here ?.
  • shotgun tim likes this

#27 Lab

Lab

• Donator
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:14 pm

Have you eaten many feral pigeons lab? pests, if they're in a load of cover they often stay there no?

Yes, i'm not disagreeing with that. Shot plenty and left most for foxes when clearing them on farms. I asked the OP if it was a woody would he have taken it for a reason to see if he would or was he just shooting it for the sake off it........... :thumbs:

#28 Thomson

Thomson

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:15 pm

Well, the woods i was in were next to crop fields on the same permission , and have been requested to clear any pidgeons i see. But as i said,i dont usually bother as i dont take them for food, or even dogfood, so i leave for the other fella and stick to the crows/rats. So no, i wasnt planning on taking it home for eating anyway.
As for ID'ing, there were other pidgeons about, just my luck to get the tagged one, and as i said in OP, it was partly behind a branch, but i still had a clear shot where needed. Only when i got close i seen the tag.

As for why i felt the need to tell everyone on here, did you miss the part where i was asking a question?

Edited by Thomson, 05 July 2012 - 08:19 pm.

#29 Lab

Lab

• Donator
  • 23,645 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:20 pm

Well, the woods i was in were next to crop fields on the same permission , and have been requested to clear any pidgeons i see. But as i said,i dont usually bother as i dont take them for food, or even dogfood, so i leave for the other fella and stick to the crows/rats. So no, i wasnt planning on taking it home for eating anyway.
As for ID'ing, there were other pidgeons about, just my luck to get the tagged one, and as i said in OP, it was partly behind a branch, but i still had a clear shot where needed. Only when i got close i seen the tag.

As for why i felt the need to tell everyone on here, did you miss the part where i was asking a question?

Can i ask why you wouldn't even take a woody home for yourself or your dog? There f*****g delicious!!!

#30 Thomson

Thomson

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:46 pm

Can i ask why you wouldn't even take a woody home for yourself or your dog? There f*****g delicious!!!

So ive heard,but never tried. Not too long since i stopped being fussy with chicken, so one step at a time :tongue2:

Edited by Thomson, 05 July 2012 - 09:45 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users