Shot a tagged pigeon (Accident)

hey, first off, i tried a search on here and looked up on google, but ive got a question i couldnt find answer to, but ill give the background first

I was out in woods for first time with my dog, when he spooked a pigeon on the ground, it didnt fly far and landed in a tree. It was a bit obscured by a branch, but i still had a clean enough shot, so i took it.

It was only as i got closer i realised the bugger was tagged. One white tag on its right leg, with some numbers on it. Ive never encountered a tag before, so i didnt look closely at the numbers, but from my searching, most racing/homing pigeons seem to have 2 tags, usually coloured.

I would go back and try and find it,as it seems the decent thing is to contact the owner if possible, but the ground is too thick with cover and the wood looks the same everywhere, so i very much doubt i would be able to.

Felt bad after :\ To make it worse i usually dont bother much with pigeons, just the crows and squirrels/rats im after, but the one time i do :icon_redface:

Im just wondering if one White tag means anything diffrent, or is it still just a racing/homing pigeon?

Edited by Thomson

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If 1 of yours doesn't come back you know who to blame

so why shoot it to start with ??, GOLDEN RULE WHEN SHOOTING IDENTIFY YOUR QUARRY BEFORE SHOOTING

£1 million fine , life in prison or the death sentance .. i`d leave the country ..

Glad i had my gloves on then, no fingerprints on the bird and the bodies well enough hidden. Time to pack i guess ;)

dont tell anyone just go ronnie briggs had a good run -- good luck..

I race pigeons mate, it might just be a plain id ring i use then to know which youngbirds are bred from certain pairs.

If 1 of yours doesn't come back you know who to blame :laugh:

:whistling:

Alright, thanks for the answers. Was just curious if the tag meant anything diffrent/special. Seems not.

Edited by Thomson

I race pigeons mate, it might just be a plain id ring i use then to know which youngbirds are bred from certain pairs.

If 1 of yours doesn't come back you know who to blame :laugh:

:whistling:

Alright, thanks for the answers. Was just curious if the tag meant anything diffrent/special. Seems not.

At least you took it as a joke like it was meant to be :victory: