34 replies to this topic

#1 Thomson

Thomson

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:16 pm

hey, first off, i tried a search on here and looked up on google, but ive got a question i couldnt find answer to, but ill give the background first
I was out in woods for first time with my dog, when he spooked a pigeon on the ground, it didnt fly far and landed in a tree. It was a bit obscured by a branch, but i still had a clean enough shot, so i took it.

It was only as i got closer i realised the bugger was tagged. One white tag on its right leg, with some numbers on it. Ive never encountered a tag before, so i didnt look closely at the numbers, but from my searching, most racing/homing pigeons seem to have 2 tags, usually coloured.
I would go back and try and find it,as it seems the decent thing is to contact the owner if possible, but the ground is too thick with cover and the wood looks the same everywhere, so i very much doubt i would be able to.

Felt bad after :\ To make it worse i usually dont bother much with pigeons, just the crows and squirrels/rats im after, but the one time i do :icon_redface:

Im just wondering if one White tag means anything diffrent, or is it still just a racing/homing pigeon?

Edited by Thomson, 03 July 2012 - 07:20 pm.

#2 patterdalejoel

patterdalejoel

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:19 pm

just carry on walking :laugh: my grandma's cat killed one one year, they rung the number printed on the wing and they didnt seem bothered, it took a few rings before they even answered the phone, they mentioned that if it stopped it wasnt worth keeping :laugh:

#3 the_stig

the_stig

Extreme David Dickinson Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,902 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:23 pm

£1 million fine , life in prison or the death sentance .. i`d leave the country ..
  • Bootsha and chrisj1983 like this

#4 BEARINATOR

BEARINATOR

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:25 pm

1 million fine , life in prison or the death sentance .. i`d leave the country ..

:yes: :yes: :D

#5 Thomson

Thomson

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:32 pm

Glad i had my gloves on then, no fingerprints on the bird and the bodies well enough hidden. Time to pack i guess ;)

#6 BEARINATOR

BEARINATOR

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:36 pm

Glad i had my gloves on then, no fingerprints on the bird and the bodies well enough hidden. Time to pack i guess http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

:laugh: :laugh: Most of the pigeon lads would cull one after it has been returned :thumbs:
  • "Earth!" likes this

#7 the_stig

the_stig

Extreme David Dickinson Fan

• Banned
  • 14,902 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:36 pm

Glad i had my gloves on then, no fingerprints on the bird and the bodies well enough hidden. Time to pack i guess http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

dont tell anyone just go ronnie briggs had a good run -- good luck..

#8 scarecrow243

scarecrow243

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:56 pm

Hi i dont think it was a raceing pigeon you shot it could be a band for traceing where the bird has traveld also i havent heard of a racer landing in trees

#9 leslie harold gedge

leslie harold gedge

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:25 pm

i have seen raceing pigeons land in trees when they are knacked from raceing or poorly if you had been seen shooting it your licence would be gone and a massive fine so dont go telling bertie smalls or your nicked.i would stick to the crows if i was you.les
  • lazybones1416 likes this

#10 Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:58 pm

I race pigeons mate, it might just be a plain id ring i use then to know which youngbirds are bred from certain pairs.

#11 BEARINATOR

BEARINATOR

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:13 pm

I race pigeons mate, it might just be a plain id ring i use then to know which youngbirds are bred from certain pairs.

If 1 of yours doesn't come back you know who to blame :laugh:
  • weasle, "Earth!" and theferreter like this

#12 Thomson

Thomson

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:17 pm

If 1 of yours doesn't come back you know who to blame http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

:whistling:

Alright, thanks for the answers. Was just curious if the tag meant anything diffrent/special. Seems not.

Edited by Thomson, 03 July 2012 - 10:17 pm.

#13 Friar Tuck

Friar Tuck

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:22 pm

Hahaha and theres me doubting my loft management skills

#14 BEARINATOR

BEARINATOR

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:34 pm

If 1 of yours doesn't come back you know who to blame http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

Alright, thanks for the answers. Was just curious if the tag meant anything diffrent/special. Seems not.

At least you took it as a joke like it was meant to be :victory:

#15 leslie harold gedge

leslie harold gedge

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:48 pm

i raced them myself a lot of years ago my bro,s are good pigeon lads around leeds they have some with white rings .les

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users