Quists, spugs and egg and bacon

I took some of the lads up to the lakes today, for a bit of a trek, and while we sat down for a bite to eat, and chew the cud, I noticed a plant we dont get much of, were I live now, in the peaks, but I used to see a lot of as a kid.

I remembered my grandad always used to call it "eggs and bacon" (birds foot trefoil I think it really is.

It got me thinking about other names we used to call things when we were younger that for some reason as I got older we stopped doing.

For example the common woody was a quist, and the sparrow that we so used to love hunting on the summer hedgerows, once the wheat had been cut, were "spugs or spuggies"

I just wondered what other names you used to give things in nature, that perhaps dont get used much today?

post-51049-0-72341800-1340736279_thumb.jpg

post-51049-0-09835900-1340736484_thumb.jpg

post-51049-0-49210200-1340736505_thumb.jpg

Starlings were Sheps, Sheppies or Shevvies when we were kids (and used to shoot them from the bedroom window with the old Diana .177) :icon_redface:

Cheers, D.

Mmmmm, I sometimes feel guilty we used to kill so many spugs now they are fewer, but then again they were a pest.

I had not heard of any of those names for starling before!

as above starling-sheppy. sparrow-spadger moorhen -woggie.

I did hear of spadger or spadges, but not woggie! It did just make me chuckle though :)

Yeah spadgers, earlier post was Shev v ies although it looked like shewies LOL

Cheers, D.