Would you let your dogs take on this boar?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The definition of a canned hunt is overstocking land with captive-bred animals in order to collect a price-per-unit fee from shooters who may know little or nothing about the animals they are shooting or the wild lands they are walking. Call it what you will, but the bird shoots are all about planting birds and blasting them, and enormous bags are put up as a consequence, with a price-per-bird paid for animals that came out of an incubator the same as a chicken. This is not part of America's historical hunting culture, but it has long been part of Europe's, where a small economy has been built on it. In the U.K., of course, there is almost no big game left, so you have very little big game hunting of any kind. In the U.S., that is not true, which is why most hunters think canned big game hunts are not only unnecessary but morally reprehensible.

The problem is that television hunting shows have sprung up in the last 15 years or so that seem to suggest that all hunting should end in a trophy kill and be accomplished on a scheduled weekend. That's not the way it works in the real world, so canned hunting outfits have sprung up to fill the needs of slob hunters.

The goods news is that states are moving to quickly to abolish these canned hunts. When the dust settles, I am pretty confident the U.S. will not have canned hunts of any kind of big game AND we will have enormous amounts of readily-available truely wild big game all across the U.S. that anyone can shoot for the cost of a $30 hunting license.

In short, we will return to our American hunting roots, which are quite different from Europe's.

Patrick

patrick, iv read alot of your posts in the past and thought you talked sense, but i read this one with astonishment..... i find it hard to beleive that someonethat has talked so much sense in the past can come out with a statement like "call it what you will but bird shoots are ALL :blink: about planting birds and then blasting them............ you need to do a little more reserch, what about the wild life i / we encourage back into our country side by the endless hours of vermin control we do?? I took over one of these so called canned shoots four year ago, in the first few days that i took over as the keeper i invited other locals out for a walk around, we (8 of us) walked all day, shooting only4 woodcock and 2 pheashants, seeing VERY little ammount of wild life.... the ground had been left stagnant for 30 years previous.... now you walk round ansd regularly see all your finchs, song birds, ospreys, cappercaille, etc etc this includes alot of game, as im sure you know that about 30 percent of what we put down every year is not shot on a shoot day and is left to breeed etc etc... so please dont try to tell me or any one else that its all just about the killing.... oh and is it a coincidence that americans take up the majority percentage of forign clients that take days on driven shoots in the uk ???? or is that because as YOU say we fill the needs of slob hunters...... happy hunting , in which ever form it may be ;) oh just read it again .... you thik the amount of economy that shooting of this kind brings is small... dont make me laugh..

The majority of Americans that ive met on shoot days were intrigued by the numbers game and it mattered not at what height the birds were at !.If they could have shot them in the pen i'm sure they would have jumped at the chance . :gunsmilie: