Would you let your dogs take on this boar?

when you look at the picture the kid isn't leaning on the pig, he is sat with his arms folded well behind the pig, and the angle of the photo makes the lad look like he is leant on it, as pBurns said "forced perspective" ,

and as regards canned hunts this is a problem with a certain section of American hunters the hunting and shooting organisations in the states should do something to make this illegal/morally un-acceptable and force this practice to end

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, canned hunts are relatively rare in the U.S. and quite the exception -- maybe 3 percent of big game as far as I can tell. When one of these things goes on over here and the public gets wind of it, there is a huge stink, and some states are starting to move to ban them. It cannot happen fast enough if you ask me. They are not needed and quite destructive to true hunting. We have millions of truely feral pig in this country, and many, many millions of deer which need to be shot, to say nothing of 500,000 black bear, billions of geese, more turkey than before Columbus, etc.

When you find a canned hunt situation like this, you always find a pathetic human being behind it -- someone like Ted Nugent (yes, that one), or this boy's father, who is so fat I do not think he could walk 500 yards through real woods without stopping to rest for a half hour.

The practice of canned hunts is actually European in origin -- all those thousands of birds raised up in pens to be tossed out on to a farm field to be shot a few days later. This is a canned hunt, and so too are all those ancient "deer parks" that once littered the U.K -- each of them, carefully fenced and generally made available only to the top few. This is not an American invention, but a European import.

Stocked hunts are an outgrowth of one of two things: 1) either have too many people on the land to support free hunting of truely wild game, or; 2) you have too many lazy and inexperienced people with a sense they have a "right" to put up a big bag.

It's a bit too easy to be outraged and a bit too easy to shrug your shoulders and say who gives a sh@t. People can come out at different places, but everyone should think it all through. For those interested in walking down the slippery slope, this piece might be an interesting read >> http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2006/...-adults_18.html

Anyone interested in UK deer parks or the archeology of hunting (yes, there is such a thing), see >> http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2005/...of-hunting.html

Finally, for how all this "canned hunt" nonsense plays out in the world of terriers work (my pesonal interest), see >> http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2005/...d-terriers.html

Patrick

Mr Burns

i did say a "certain section of american hunters", i didn't mean them all , perhaps i should have made it idiot (read american) proof by adding a "small section" ,

I am glad that moves are being made to make this illegal, and yes we (English) had deer parks but no one has hunted in a deer park for hundreds of years,these days they are just preserves used as attractions on country houses and other area's that have tourist's (the only deer killed are culled by a professional to maintain the herd and this is done when the public aren't visiting) and tame birds are not released and shot a day or two after, poults are allowed to become wild and are released months before the shoot days ,lets not get into an American v European thing as at the minute you Americans still have canned hunts.

Compo :big_boss:

The definition of a canned hunt is overstocking land with captive-bred animals in order to collect a price-per-unit fee from shooters who may know little or nothing about the animals they are shooting or the wild lands they are walking. Call it what you will, but the bird shoots are all about planting birds and blasting them, and enormous bags are put up as a consequence, with a price-per-bird paid for animals that came out of an incubator the same as a chicken. This is not part of America's historical hunting culture, but it has long been part of Europe's, where a small economy has been built on it. In the U.K., of course, there is almost no big game left, so you have very little big game hunting of any kind. In the U.S., that is not true, which is why most hunters think canned big game hunts are not only unnecessary but morally reprehensible.

The problem is that television hunting shows have sprung up in the last 15 years or so that seem to suggest that all hunting should end in a trophy kill and be accomplished on a scheduled weekend. That's not the way it works in the real world, so canned hunting outfits have sprung up to fill the needs of slob hunters.

The goods news is that states are moving to quickly to abolish these canned hunts. When the dust settles, I am pretty confident the U.S. will not have canned hunts of any kind of big game AND we will have enormous amounts of readily-available truely wild big game all across the U.S. that anyone can shoot for the cost of a $30 hunting license.

In short, we will return to our American hunting roots, which are quite different from Europe's.

Patrick

Could't agree more.This was covered in the Uk Suday independant on 3rd June with the claim that the kid had taken loads of shots at the boar which took 3 hours to dieas his pistol was too small.

Thanks for nothing fat kid! :angry:

The definition of a canned hunt is overstocking land with captive-bred animals in order to collect a price-per-unit fee from shooters who may know little or nothing about the animals they are shooting or the wild lands they are walking. Call it what you will, but the bird shoots are all about planting birds and blasting them, and enormous bags are put up as a consequence, with a price-per-bird paid for animals that came out of an incubator the same as a chicken. This is not part of America's historical hunting culture, but it has long been part of Europe's, where a small economy has been built on it. In the U.K., of course, there is almost no big game left, so you have very little big game hunting of any kind. In the U.S., that is not true, which is why most hunters think canned big game hunts are not only unnecessary but morally reprehensible.

The problem is that television hunting shows have sprung up in the last 15 years or so that seem to suggest that all hunting should end in a trophy kill and be accomplished on a scheduled weekend. That's not the way it works in the real world, so canned hunting outfits have sprung up to fill the needs of slob hunters.

The goods news is that states are moving to quickly to abolish these canned hunts. When the dust settles, I am pretty confident the U.S. will not have canned hunts of any kind of big game AND we will have enormous amounts of readily-available truely wild big game all across the U.S. that anyone can shoot for the cost of a $30 hunting license.

In short, we will return to our American hunting roots, which are quite different from Europe's.

Patrick

patrick, iv read alot of your posts in the past and thought you talked sense, but i read this one with astonishment..... i find it hard to beleive that someonethat has talked so much sense in the past can come out with a statement like "call it what you will but bird shoots are ALL :blink: about planting birds and then blasting them............ you need to do a little more reserch, what about the wild life i / we encourage back into our country side by the endless hours of vermin control we do?? I took over one of these so called canned shoots four year ago, in the first few days that i took over as the keeper i invited other locals out for a walk around, we (8 of us) walked all day, shooting only4 woodcock and 2 pheashants, seeing VERY little ammount of wild life.... the ground had been left stagnant for 30 years previous.... now you walk round ansd regularly see all your finchs, song birds, ospreys, cappercaille, etc etc this includes alot of game, as im sure you know that about 30 percent of what we put down every year is not shot on a shoot day and is left to breeed etc etc... so please dont try to tell me or any one else that its all just about the killing.... oh and is it a coincidence that americans take up the majority percentage of forign clients that take days on driven shoots in the uk ???? or is that because as YOU say we fill the needs of slob hunters...... happy hunting , in which ever form it may be ;) oh just read it again .... you thik the amount of economy that shooting of this kind brings is small... dont make me laugh..

Edited by alimac
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest NZLurcherman

Shane,

I agree mate, what a load of Bollocks. That is not pighunting in any form. The silly little clown shot it eight times I think from what I saw of the article in the paper and half of those were in the guts :thumbdown: The bloody thing would be that slow a poodle with three legs would catch it.

Pighunting is bashing your way through blackberries and gorse to get to your dogs bailing a wild pig and then carrying it out. If the silly little fool can't kill it with one shot he shouldn't have a gun :thumbdown:

NZLurcherman.

Lol LM A little harsh but very true. Getting back to the original Question I have seen dogs beaten by dogs half the size of that but it wouldn't stop me trying. If it were free range in the mountains of cause. Cant see the pleasure of a trophy taken in a canned hunt.

Stevemac

• 3 months later...
Guest ocs1867
Would you want to run into this thing with your dogs?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html

I dont know how I would feel about getting close enough to stick this monster with a knife or how I would feel about letting my dog go after it. It would be an experience for sure though.

Give me a pack of Painter American Bulldogs and a pack of Dogo Argentinos and lets go hunting.

I've been posting on this, and predicted what it was: a tame farm hog that was put in a pen and shot by a punk kid and his punk father (who is, ironically enough grossly fat himself).

This is about as pathetic as it gets in the world of hunting.

The pig was named "Fred" and he used to play with his first owner's small children. He was shot at a canned hunt a few days after he was sold off, supposedly to be bred to a couple of female hogs. Instead he was chased around a pen for 3 hours by a fat kid with a gun far too big for him to be able to use. The result: a maimed pig that spent 3 hours in unnecessary agony.

For more, see >> http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/search/label/hogzilla

For the record, we have MILLIONS of real wild pigs in the US, but they only rarely exceed 300 pounds in the wild. Farm hogs, on the other hand, routinely top 700 and 800 pounds, and there is an over-1,000 pound farm hog in every state (and a 1,600 pounder less than a day's drive from my house).

Bottom line: this was a big hog (maybe 600-700 pounds), but it is is not a wild hog and it was not hunted -- ity was penned and then slaughtered. The photo does not show the true size of this farm pig -- the picture has been faked up with a bit of forced perspective. What you have here is a not hunting, but a pathetic thing and an embarassment to the true hunting community.

Patrick

I already thought he was tame, and so fat he could probably hardly move. These yanks find it good as long as it's BIG, but a real wild boar smaller and agile and agressive is real sport and hard to find, let alone catch!

Guest boardog
I've been posting on this, and predicted what it was: a tame farm hog that was put in a pen and shot by a punk kid and his punk father (who is, ironically enough grossly fat himself).

This is about as pathetic as it gets in the world of hunting.

The pig was named "Fred" and he used to play with his first owner's small children. He was shot at a canned hunt a few days after he was sold off, supposedly to be bred to a couple of female hogs. Instead he was chased around a pen for 3 hours by a fat kid with a gun far too big for him to be able to use. The result: a maimed pig that spent 3 hours in unnecessary agony.

For more, see >> http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/search/label/hogzilla

For the record, we have MILLIONS of real wild pigs in the US, but they only rarely exceed 300 pounds in the wild. Farm hogs, on the other hand, routinely top 700 and 800 pounds, and there is an over-1,000 pound farm hog in every state (and a 1,600 pounder less than a day's drive from my house).

Bottom line: this was a big hog (maybe 600-700 pounds), but it is is not a wild hog and it was not hunted -- ity was penned and then slaughtered. The photo does not show the true size of this farm pig -- the picture has been faked up with a bit of forced perspective. What you have here is a not hunting, but a pathetic thing and an embarassment to the true hunting community.

Patrick

shoot i think ive got balls of steel ill let my pits at that thing and ill use a knife to kill it i dont care