Polecat

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£50 pound your not wise mate

James mckay is a peddler.   Remember seeing a dvd, where it showed his ferret ranch, if he worked his ferrets every single day of the year, they would still only get a couple of days graft each, he

how can you tell wether he was worth it? its only a kit?

Posted Images

If the man want to pay £50 for a dark ferret then surely it's up to him....

I've seen loads of people driving shite BMWs cos they like the look. Ok they have to take a twat test before they buy....

But also a lot of people saying some ferrets are shit workers.???

This is a genuine question

I know you wil get some that do the job from the off

But surely most of the others can be trained with a little bit of time.

Most dogs And birds perform well before a bit of training. And it not like a ferret is stupid! Childish maybe but surely it doesn't take a lot to turn a poor hunter in to a good one.

You`ve not just bought a dark ferret from daytimeonly have you ????lol

It`s not as easy as you think to convert a shit ferret into a worker

would say its impossible wouldnt you? what can you do, its not like dog whereyou can improve fitness diet stamina etc, its either there or its not?

No your not improving fitness but surly getting it to come to you and to search out to get food is possible.

As for dogs it's not just fitness you train them.

Do you have bop mate they have a natural instinct to hunt. Doesn't mean it will be a good worker if you don't put the hours in training!

you can try and train for that but you cant train to hunt out rabbits, stick with them, make them bolt, their born with that or their not thats my opinion. a good ferret is easy to find but an excellent ferret is born and can never be made.

you tell um joel. :thumbs:

just my experience of owning some pure shit ferrets, and seeing some damn good uns. :thumbs:

says the lad who has a litter of 10 ferrets, which neither of the parents work or have even seen and alive rabbit? :)

i thought you 2 were ferreting partners :hmm:

darbo- i thought ferreting partners returned invites on their permission though, does'nt quite seem to work this way with joel, theres another lad on here that if he reads this im sure he'll agree! :)

• Like 1

James mckays ferrets are the same as everyone elses. Unless you take female and male euro polcats from the wild and breed them yourselves i wouldnt believe that they were euros. James mckay is just like this vipers website ive just had look at selling panda and lemons ridiculous that people think they can sell at these prices.......ive got collie pups for sale hundred fifty each.....think ill ask for six due to them resembling pandas.....like you say your cash you spend it on what you ant....just remember you ciild have got one free

If the man want to pay £50 for a dark ferret then surely it's up to him....

I've seen loads of people driving shite BMWs cos they like the look. Ok they have to take a twat test before they buy....

But also a lot of people saying some ferrets are shit workers.???

This is a genuine question

I know you wil get some that do the job from the off

But surely most of the others can be trained with a little bit of time.

Most dogs And birds perform well before a bit of training. And it not like a ferret is stupid! Childish maybe but surely it doesn't take a lot to turn a poor hunter in to a good one.

You`ve not just bought a dark ferret from daytimeonly have you ????lol

It`s not as easy as you think to convert a shit ferret into a worker

would say its impossible wouldnt you? what can you do, its not like dog whereyou can improve fitness diet stamina etc, its either there or its not?

No your not improving fitness but surly getting it to come to you and to search out to get food is possible.

As for dogs it's not just fitness you train them.

Do you have bop mate they have a natural instinct to hunt. Doesn't mean it will be a good worker if you don't put the hours in training!

you can try and train for that but you cant train to hunt out rabbits, stick with them, make them bolt, their born with that or their not thats my opinion. a good ferret is easy to find but an excellent ferret is born and can never be made.

you tell um joel. :thumbs:

just my experience of owning some pure shit ferrets, and seeing some damn good uns. :thumbs:

says the lad who has a litter of 10 ferrets, which neither of the parents work or have even seen and alive rabbit? :)

i thought you 2 were ferreting partners :hmm:

darbo- i thought ferreting partners returned invites on their permission though, does'nt quite seem to work this way with joel, theres another lad on here that if he reads this im sure he'll agree! :)

:blink: ? since when is this?

r.e.all ferrets will make top workers if you try . . . it's just not true.

Most (and not even all) ferrets will enter a warren and have a wander around and mooch about down there, scaring some rabbits out, which will bolt due to the presence of an invader and potential predator, it's scent ensures that at least. They will wander around the top levels, and out rabbits come.

Some folk see this as 'working'.

However it's a far cry from the true working ferret, which enters a warren with a real purpose, flies straight down on a mission, and works the tunnel system with some energy and vigor, right down to the deepest stop end. In short its hunting, and any rabbit that it meets better run like feck, or it's going to get teeth sunk into it.

Even this latter type, comes in different forms, some will do the above, but will still eventually come away from a tough old buck, tucked up tight in a stop end, failing its back legs. These can be handy, in the undiggable places.

Some however will stick it out to the bitter end.

I have a jill here that just seems to relish the rumble, she is only a wee slip of a thing, no micro, but just a small, lightly built jill, but she never shys away from a tangle, and has the habit of digging past and taking the eyes out from those that try to avoid the eviction. Last season, i had to give her a break after the first couple of months, a week of r and r, as she had cuts all over her face, and a split lip. But you know that if she goes down, she isn't leaving until it's empty, of all but the eyeless dead :laugh:

As someone else once said. . . . . they are 'BOD's. Bolt or Die.

• Like 2

Any pictures of them yet ?

Sorry Tallyho im still trying to resize them, ive tried putting them up but it keeps saying file to big, a mate of mine is going to have a go at resizeing them for us, im not very good with computers and that, so as soon as hes sorted it il be putting a few up of Wolverine dont worry........ Hes coming on great no biteing getting on with my other jills, but hes not eating any meat, just sniffs it then walks away, he would rather have milk and dry ferret food...

try leaving the milk and dry stuff dont feed it for a day or two then, when he gets hungry he will eat the meat . :laugh:

Im going to buy some chicken tonight and try him on that, im not really that bothered if he dont eat meat, he looks healthy and is eating all the dry food, he had some boiled eggs the other day so hes not starving...

r.e.all ferrets will make top workers if you try . . . it's just not true.

Most (and not even all) ferrets will enter a warren and have a wander around and mooch about down there, scaring some rabbits out, which will bolt due to the presence of an invader and potential predator, it's scent ensures that at least. They will wander around the top levels, and out rabbits come.

Some folk see this as 'working'.

However it's a far cry from the true working ferret, which enters a warren with a real purpose, flies straight down on a mission, and works the tunnel system with some energy and vigor, right down to the deepest stop end. In short its hunting, and any rabbit that it meets better run like feck, or it's going to get teeth sunk into it.

Even this latter type, comes in different forms, some will do the above, but will still eventually come away from a tough old buck, tucked up tight in a stop end, failing its back legs. These can be handy, in the undiggable places.

Some however will stick it out to the bitter end.

I have a jill here that just seems to relish the rumble, she is only a wee slip of a thing, no micro, but just a small, lightly built jill, but she never shys away from a tangle, and has the habit of digging past and taking the eyes out from those that try to avoid the eviction. Last season, i had to give her a break after the first couple of months, a week of r and r, as she had cuts all over her face, and a split lip. But you know that if she goes down, she isn't leaving until it's empty, of all but the eyeless dead :laugh:

As someone else once said. . . . . they are 'BOD's. Bolt or Die.

A good post ideation not that there listening , : ). It also takes a good ferreter to know the craic and the animals individual qaulitys , but even the best of the best will not last a full day of mega graft , I mean they will stay down but the job no matter how they try will not be completed. I'm hoping this years kits are crackers they look to have the fire in there eyes and nice sized jills to the kind you favour drop us a pm mate have a catch up cheers j,

Another point worth mentioning. How much time do you give over to trying to get a ferret working.

If you are busy at it , then persisting with a ferret that won`t do the job might not be practical.

If you have a job to do, and a choice of ferrets, then the ones that already do the job will be the ones in my carry box. Trying to "train " a non worker would be too time consuming for me I reckon

Another point worth mentioning. How much time do you give over to trying to get a ferret working.

If you are busy at it , then persisting with a ferret that won`t do the job might not be practical.

If you have a job to do, and a choice of ferrets, then the ones that already do the job will be the ones in my carry box. Trying to "train " a non worker would be too time consuming for me I reckon

I agree with you there Rake aboot, we always take out the good workers, it does take time training a new ferret, we do most of our ferreting with bop's so it not good when your standing around waiting for the ferret to learn the job, our ferrets work the warren and are back to hand when the job is done... other wise the birds start to get board and mess about, i think this year il do a bit with the whippet to start the new kits off, but not till end of season, work out which ones are good and work quick, dont mind standing around with the dog, training the ferret...

My old man told me years a go that a good indicator of a good ferret was one that went straight for the neck/throat area of any dead animal you put in with it for food. I don't know how true other people might find that, but I've certainly found that it is a trait shared by the decent ones I've had over the years. :yes: Call it natural instinct or whatever, but some have it and some don't... :thumbs:

I've read and been led to believe that a 100% pure polecat is not domesticated and can never be tamed..they are as wild as tit's and welding gauntlet's would be needed to pick one up.. :whistling:

I've read and been led to believe that a 100% pure polecat is not domesticated and can never be tamed..they are as wild as tit's and welding gauntlet's would be needed to pick one up.. :whistling:

Yes they are mate, if taken from the wild!!, but mine has been hand reard from 4wks old, and i think the mother and father of mine have had quite a few litters of kits before mine, ive seen and held the mother and she seem ok, not seen the father though so carnt coment on him,

Aye if we where being honest we would cull any kit that had problems and any adult that didn't make the grade . but its to late now the working ferret is F*cked too many show bred ferrets too many being breed and too many being bred for colour unfortinatly the last thing anybody asks about is working ability

• Like 1