help longnet

Guest borderboys

Guest borderboys

just brought myself a longnet and been out today and cut me some poles but as i havent used 1 before i dont now how to attach it to the poles :hmm: any help appreciated.

cheers

borderboys

Firstly, are you going to use the net in a quick set fashion ie; with a basket or will you be using it in traditional style, with end pins?

Quick set with the net attached permanantly to your poles, i would regardles of material of the pole use bands made from cutting an old cycle inner tube in to 1/2 inch wide bands, pass these through the running lines and kepp doubleing them up till they hold tight to your poles.

Trad style needs the poles to be removed after each setting has finished, so i would advise the use of hazel or simalar poles with 3 groves cut into the top 2inch of the pole. with both the top and bottom running lines being held in place by two half hitches ( a clove hitch) the grooves stop the lines slipping.

i hope this has helped, good netting :victory:;)

Edited by mole catcher
Guest borderboys
Firstly, are you going to use the net in a quick set fashion ie; with a basket or will you be using it in traditional style, with end pins?

Quick set with the net attached permanantly to your poles, i would regardles of material of the pole use bands made from cutting an old cycle inner tube in to 1/2 inch wide bands, pass these through the running lines and kepp doubleing them up till they hold tight to your poles.

Trad style needs the poles to be removed after each setting has finished, so i would advise the use of hazel or simalar poles with 3 groves cut into the top 2inch of the pole. with both the top and bottom running lines being held in place by two half hitches ( a clove hitch) the grooves stop the lines slipping.

i hope this has helped, good netting :victory:;)

cheers which method do u prefer got anjypics of ur set nets or grooves?

thanks alot all help as iv never done this before.

not for night time longnetting just for ferreting

cheers borderboys :yes:

if you have never done this before, wouldent it be better watching a video or dvd

I too have never used a long net, either type so bought a longnetting dvd from the bay of E for around a £

which show'd the use of both, bloody good watch and it answers the questions your asking

Dont meen to sound like an old woman here, but what hight are you working those nets at? they seem to be set high on the poles leaving the net a bit tought. as im sure you know a long net needs to have a bag from its top and bottom lines as well as a running kill (the bagging) asuming the poles are the standard 4ft poles it looks in the pic as if you have a setting hight of possible 36inch, i and most netters i know have a setting hight of about 18-20 inch.

Please note: this is not ment as a dig or an insult to one mans methods, just an observation ;)

1cd0_1.jpg

HMMM :hmm:

IAM AFRAID THERE SEEMS FROM THE PHOTO " NO " KILL IN THE NET AT ALL , TO ME THATS NOT A LONGNET ITS A FENCE ........ THOUGH THE PICTURE MIGHT BE DECEIVEING ?

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

HMMM :hmm:

IAM AFRAID THERE SEEMS FROM THE PHOTO " NO " KILL IN THE NET AT ALL , TO ME THATS NOT A LONGNET ITS A FENCE ........ THOUGH THE PICTURE MIGHT BE DECEIVEING ?

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

:laugh::laugh:

Edited by CHALKWARREN

I stand corrected :yes:

But like i said, not digging out a mans methods or trying to argue whos methods are best, just an observation. sorry if the post was seen as a dig or trying to make someone look a fool, hell im sure we can all do that with out others help ;)

after i finnish a few nets im going to carry on with my long net i started a few weeks back.but as im goin to buy these poles with the gromets on i was just wondering what knot you use on the first and last pole when tying on to the gromets.

good hunting

rew