Photo
- - - - -

Shotgun licence and mental illness

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 Aggro

Aggro

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

i suffer from Bipolar type 2, im not a danger as im on medication and see a psychiatrist but i am unsure how this would affect my application for a shotgun certificate, does anyone have any experience with this? x

#2 Guest_thebigdog_*

Guest_thebigdog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

would you give you a shotgun? what happens if the tablets run out and you cant get none?

#3 Magwitch

Magwitch

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

best to talk to your GP, you have to declare on your application and it would best if your doctor was one of the counter signatories.......................hope that helps.

#4 Aggro

Aggro

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

would you give you a shotgun? what happens if the tablets run out and you cant get none?

lol the stigma round Bipolar makes me laugh! I dont turn into a snarling beast the following day without a pill, it takes at least a week to work out your system before withdrawls hit never mind unbalancement again.
I would give me a shotgun yes as i havent been a danger to anyone or even myself for many years now which was when i was undiagnosed and unmedicated, however your reply clearly shows the suspcision that still surrounds it which is what i am worried about.

thankyou Magwitch, at least your reply was civil x

Edited by Aggro, 24 June 2012 - 12:09 AM.

#5 Malt

Malt

sheep bothering mod

• 23,086 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

lol the stigma round Bipolar makes me laugh! I dont turn into a snarling beast the following day without a pill, it takes at least a week to work out your system before withdrawls hit never mind unbalancement again.
I would give me a shotgun yes as i havent been a danger to anyone or even myself for many years now which was when i was undiagnosed and unmedicated, however your reply clearly shows the suspcision that still surrounds it which is what i am worried about.

I don't know the in's and outs because I'm not a shooter, but the sentence I've highlighted makes me think it would be highly unlikely that you would be granted a certificate. :hmm: JMO.. :thumbs:

#6 Aggro

Aggro

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:23 AM

I don't know the in's and outs because I'm not a shooter, but the sentence I've highlighted makes me think it would be highly unlikely that you would be granted a certificate. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... JMO.. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

even though i am going back roughly 10 years? Seems unfortunate but im wary of applying so thought id ask the experts :D

#7 B.P.R

B.P.R

Disabled Bay Poacher

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

I had the firearms officer sat in my living room and he got a phonecall from his boss. He then said to me he had to go ASAP as a certificate holder had a partner that had a mental illness and was threatening to kill themselves. He was going to discuss confiscating the license just invade they got hold of the keys.

In short. No I wouldn't expect you to get a license. Possible but I would think unlikely. The person issuing the license must be 100% that your not a danger or have potential to be a danger to anybody.

If the sh!t hits the fan it's their name that will be brought up first.

I gave up my shotguns but pretty much had no choice. A stupid fight, the other person lied and claimed racial motive and suddenly I was a risk to all black people out there.

Good luck with whatever you do.

#8 Aggro

Aggro

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

I had the firearms officer sat in my living room and he got a phonecall from his boss. He then said to me he had to go ASAP as a certificate holder had a partner that had a mental illness and was threatening to kill themselves. He was going to discuss confiscating the license just invade they got hold of the keys.

In short. No I wouldn't expect you to get a license. Possible but I would think unlikely. The person issuing the license must be 100% that your not a danger or have potential to be a danger to anybody.

If the sh!t hits the fan it's their name that will be brought up first.

I gave up my shotguns but pretty much had no choice. A stupid fight, the other person lied and claimed racial motive and suddenly I was a risk to all black people out there.

Good luck with whatever you do.

thankyou for being honest, its what i expected tbh. As i said im not a danger to anyone but i have the label of Bipolar so it seems it isnt worth pursuing :(
if you dont mind me asking what happened with your licence? How could you be a danger unless you were ranting you were against another race etc? x

#9 Pelletpower

Pelletpower

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

thankyou for being honest, its what i expected tbh. As i said im not a danger to anyone but i have the label of Bipolar so it seems it isnt worth pursuing :(

If its something that your really interested in and have a general intrest in the why give up over what you think they might say? You'll only regret not pursuing it if you don't do it the worst thing they can do is say no so tbh I would say try your level best at it, speak to your doctor explain what the situation is and as you have said you havnt been a danger to yourself or anyone else so I can't see why your doctor couldn't co sign for you aswell..
Good luck hope you get this sorted.

Atb

Jamie

Edited by Pelletpower, 24 June 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#10 beast

beast

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

i agree with pelletpower, speak to the doctor and get him as a signatory. the firearms officer will normally come and interview you in person and its best if you bring it out in the open and start the topic of your illness yourself. make it clear that you were once ill and that its under control now and show him that you are aware it could look like a prblem but that its actually not. they take a lot of notice of these meetings and its your opportunity to impress him, think of it as a job interview. good luck, let us know how you get on

#11 Ferret mad Dave

Ferret mad Dave

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

Give it a try mate all they can do is say NO what u got too loose ??

#12 B.P.R

B.P.R

Disabled Bay Poacher

• Banned
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

I didn't get my license actually revoked. It was up
For renewal and I could only make an appointment the day before it was due as I was working abroad. They said because I had been convicted of battery (but the original charge was 'racially motivated gbh- which was dropped as a lie) then they had to look into it before deciding. I had to put my guns into a dealer and then they rang me saying I was getting it/I wasn't etc. The boss was only interested about the racial charge and said that I was going to higher for it. I then said I was being messed about enough so revoked my renewal. I was going to lose it anyway.

I was attacked, I faught back and because I got the upper hand them he cried 'racism' which in my job got me fcuked. It's still on my record as racial gbh although that got proved wrong.

So any authority that looks at my record sees that, no facts about the case. Just that I'm a racist baastard. Which I'm not.

#13 danw

danw

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

I may get flamed for this but imagine if a newspaper headline said "local police grant shotgun cert to the mentaly ill" it may well be ignorant/bigoted but the fact is the press would whip up a shite storm and the public would want more reform/bans. In light of recent events I would doubt that any sensible Feo would approve your application given that they increasingly been seen as partly/wholly responsible for some horrendous crimes by allowing those with doubt over their mental health to keep their guns.

#14 JohnGalway

JohnGalway

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

I think you should give it a go if you can get your doctor to sign for you. What's the worst they can say but no?

I also think it's brave of you to talk about this on the forum, well done, there is, as you say, a stigma surrounding mental illness.

Don't know much about bipolar myself, but if your doc says your fine I wouldn't have a problem with you having a gun.

Your username lends a little irony to the thread mind lol.

Edited by JohnGalway, 24 June 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#15 cammy12

cammy12

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

if it was me i would look to geting alot of expeirence under your belt with shotgun shooting, saftey and storage so if you do apply you understand all the rules and laws so any quetions can be answered accuratley and confidently, mental illness is so misunderstood and people can recover from it just like any other illness, have a go you never know.