.177 vs .22 for hunting

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Flow. Both have their advantages over eachother from my experience of using both calibres to hunt with.   .22 being larger in frontal mass area, has the greater knock-down power thus, there is

I was always .22, bit the bullet a few months ago and went down the .177 road.I can honestly say im converted now and would never go back.If you can try a .177 give it a go, you will be surprised .

Posted Images

It wouldn't matter Flow as both are as good as each other :thumbs: .

Si.

Dont mean to sound ignorant Si..but witch of the two cals is more affected by wind.?

Iv always been told by the HFT lads it .22 ....is this wrong.

Id be greatfull if you could help clear this up.

Thinking on getting the FX Verminator mk2 in .22

Marty

Don't forget the myriad of pellet weight/sizes. A heavy flat headed .177 will pack a lethal punch.

.177 gives that extra range without adjustment. The same range is there with .22 but requires a mil dot or so.

FYI .177 is less affected by wind than .22 owing to the smaller surface area and higher speed of the round.

For me, .177 is best for sub 12ft/lbs shooting. If we were allowed upto 20 ft/lbs unlicensed, I'd use .22.

FYI .177 is less affected by wind than .22 owing to the smaller surface area and higher speed of the round.

Thats what iv always thought and been told,,,,but over and over again,,,someone piles up with its 177 thats more effected.

I Gauranteed this will pop up in a post again within the next few week's.

Marty

I am swapping over to 177 for this very reason that they are less affected than .22. Also my main quarry is wood pigeons mainly high up in trees. Yes .22 has a greater stopping power at shorter ranges of under 30m, but a well placed 177 at 40 or 50 will drop bunnies etc very easily. Having a pellet that gives you the flatter trajectory is a far easier way to ensure full bags.

ATB

Alex

• Like 1

I am swapping over to 177 for this very reason that they are less affected than .22. Also my main quarry is wood pigeons mainly high up in trees. Yes .22 has a greater stopping power at shorter ranges of under 30m, but a well placed 177 at 40 or 50 will drop bunnies etc very easily. Having a pellet that gives you the flatter trajectory is a far easier way to ensure full bags.

ATB

Alex

Yes .22 has a greater stopping power at shorter ranges of under 30m, but a well placed 177 at 40 or 50 will drop bunnies etc very easily.

And further in good condition's...No doubting it what so ever.!!

See this is the thing...Im going to spend over a grand buying an FX Verminator mk2 and i keep thinking il get it in .22 but now im doubting it over .77

Im might get it in 22 for the sake of just having both cal's but il probably Regreat it if i do :unsure:

Marty :victory:

.22 is less affected by wind than .177, as proven by Chairgun, but there isn't much in it over normal airgun ranges.

We also found this out the other day when shooting my .22 97K and my brothers .177 TX200.

Attached are two reticles from CG, a .22 in green and a .177 in red, both with optimized zeros and 10mph crosswinds.

Edit: In fact its not worth mentioning, they are both roughly the same.

post-72682-0-31579600-1340482995.jpg

post-72682-0-93876700-1340483003.jpg

Edited by Flow

Where has all this .177 is less effected by wind come from? I would say on average its x2 the windage than a .22 - a 1/2mildot .22 wind would easy be a 1 milldot .177 wind if not more

Anyone who has ever shot a .177 in the slightest breeze knows it gets blown a mile! (not an issue you just give more windage when taking shots)

ATB

Adam

Where has all this .177 is less effected by wind come from? I would say on average its x2 the windage than a .22 - a 1/2mildot .22 wind would easy be a 1 milldot .177 wind if not more

Anyone who has ever shot a .177 in the slightest breeze knows it gets blown a mile! (not an issue you just give more windage when taking shots)

ATB

Adam

I wouldnt go as far as saying a mile Adam..iv used 177 for 5 years now and i live on the windyest part of the country...maybe im just use to the conditions now.

I shot a rabbit this evening at 39y and its blowing gales out here and took it clean out. I guess i dont really even think about it when im shooting now..im just that use to it

Marty :thumbs:

I don't find it that bad in wind with 177 ..depends what you class as a breeze to someone else breeze I suppose lol there's so many threads on diffrent forums on this topic I honestly think it should be banned. I mean there's enough points and facts put accross to read for a year lol atb stick what you feel comfortable shooting as ranges go , I don't think there's many that can shoot like si and a few others on YouTube , and he was taking elevated shots in .22 at 65 yrds or so..so the whole thing with .177 being able to shoot at a greater distance in realistic situations is no point in mentioning..just a lot more home work and finding your right distance for your mildots is in order for .22. I try not to shoot past 40 unless I'm feeling confident on the day..anyway ban this topic I say lol atb

I don't find it that bad in wind with 177 ..depends what you class as a breeze to someone else breeze I suppose lol there's so many threads on diffrent forums on this topic I honestly think it should be banned. I mean there's enough points and facts put accross to read for a year lol atb stick what you feel comfortable shooting as ranges go , I don't think there's many that can shoot like si and a few others on YouTube , and he was taking elevated shots in .22 at 65 yrds or so..so the whole thing with .177 being able to shoot at a greater distance in realistic situations is no point in mentioning..just a lot more home work and finding your right distance for your mildots is in order for .22. I try not to shoot past 40 unless I'm feeling confident on the day..anyway ban this topic I say lol atb

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

il agree Si knows his stuff...What is he.? Company sniper.? :hmm:

Marty :thumbs:

This is a difficult decision and I need help deciding!

I don't fancy spending nearly £500 on a rifle that I won't be 100% happy with and I plan on keeping it for many years.

So ban it, after this thread.