.177 vs .22 for hunting

Don't forget the myriad of pellet weight/sizes. A heavy flat headed .177 will pack a lethal punch.

.177 gives that extra range without adjustment. The same range is there with .22 but requires a mil dot or so.

FYI .177 is less affected by wind than .22 owing to the smaller surface area and higher speed of the round.

For me, .177 is best for sub 12ft/lbs shooting. If we were allowed upto 20 ft/lbs unlicensed, I'd use .22.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Flow. Both have their advantages over eachother from my experience of using both calibres to hunt with.   .22 being larger in frontal mass area, has the greater knock-down power thus, there is

I was always .22, bit the bullet a few months ago and went down the .177 road.I can honestly say im converted now and would never go back.If you can try a .177 give it a go, you will be surprised .

Posted Images

FYI .177 is less affected by wind than .22 owing to the smaller surface area and higher speed of the round.

Me and my bro tested this out on Thursday. I was using my .22 HW97K, he was using his .177 TX200. I shot both at the same target, at the same range, in the same conditions, .177 was affected a lot more by the wind than .22.

Chairgun says the same

10mph crosswind;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61104469@N02/7422362852/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61104469@N02/7422362768/

Im sorry but all that about the 177 not getting effected as much by the wind is rubbish, 177 gets blown off by the slightest breeze!

This discussion has been had many many many times before, 177 v 22, longer range vs knockdown power etc

At the end of the day its what you like and what feels right to you, the rifle should be an extension of yourself and likewise the pellet that is fired out.

My prefered calibre is 177, however i do dabble with the .22 and i like it.

Shoot them both and go with what feels right to you, aslong as your happy with it you will be rewarded in the field by it.

ATB

Adam

Edit: Or you could just swap with your bro for a week and see which you prefer :thumbs:

• Like 1

We always seem to get hooked up on this topic and we always get many peoples personal likes and dislikes which is good and just shows that both calibre produce great results in the persons hands that like and prefer that calibre.

Lets not get too focused on point blank ranges in regards to calibre though unless we are only intending shooting between those distances.

Forget the like and dislikes for a minute and lets examine the scientific facts.

A smaller, fast lighter projectile will fly flatter over a certain distance than a heavier, larger and slower projectile as gravity has less time to impart its effects on the projectile.

If you shoot a heavier projectile at the same zero range though but with higher power the .22 flies very differently though :yes: .

This can be proven in CGP by shooting a sub 12 .177 and then shooting a FAC .22 from the same zero. The FAC will fly flatter than the .177. (see pic Ive done in compare mode).

Its true that either calibre kills humanely in sub 12 if shot placement is spot on.

A .177 is not more accurate though than a .22 and the rumour comes from ill experienced shooters reading and listing to bad advice.

The true fact is that a .177 is easier to gain better results with at 10 to 40 yards due to a flatter and longer PBR and so people automatically say its more accurate :no: .

You zero a .177 at 30 yards and try and hit a 15mm kill zone at 39 yards (pigeons brain size) and you will 90% of the time miss as the pellet drops just out size the dimensions.

So what do you have to do? You shoot trajectory true to gain a hit and clean kill. This involves holding over and knowing your combos characteristics at each range.

No difference from what a .22 shooter would but at a much closer range.

Its all about calibration lads Im afraid and not just putting a cross hair on a brain and pulling a trigger. Easier with a .177 and so the rumour develops.

A rifle shot in any calibre must be shot in the same way be it recoiling or pcp. The hit / clean kill is then just down to your own skills and how well you understand the ballistics involved of getting the projectile from A to B.

I shoot both calibre, my favoured calibre is .22 but that's just because I like the stopping power it holds and because my uncle started me shooting years ago with .22 so I knew nothing else.

Both are as good as each other, but .177 suits a more of a point the cross hair on the brain and shoot style of shooting.

Try both calibres pal and see what suits your style of shooting best of all.

With a .22 shot from a correctly mapped trajectory plan the pellets will land exactly where you want out to the longest sub 12 ranges just as a .177 will.

Si.

post-2627-0-89737900-1340448315_thumb.jpg

Edited by zini
  • Like 1

cubbycat did some vids on shooting a hw 100 in 22 and 177 .the 22 at 100 yards the 177 at 200 yards .I see loads of vids shooting 22 at 100 yards to prove how good they are but none at 200 yards .cubbycat did a few vids shooting at 200 yards with a 177.Also a 177 has enough enery at 100 yards to kill a rabbit .So at 60 yards it has plenty of power and accuracy.A 22 has an advantage at close range body shot.If you shoot close range in a 177 use a flat pellet .I shoot both if I had to shoot one cal only 177 for sure.

well real world, with my very limited experiance, i purchased a very nice BSA superten .22 and gave it a good try today,

lets just say i will be selling and sticking to my .177.

i would say for the shooters with limited experiance the .177 is just plain easier to shot and hit the target with.

this could also be due to the increased sensitivity to range or i am a crap shot!

regards

rob,

• Like 1

hi lads this war will go on for decade.s 177 or 22 its down to the shooter and what he or she prefers if they like 177 then it will take a lot to go over to 22 and like so from 22 to 177 but if [bANNED TEXT] a bad shot then it dus not mater what you use as none of them will be eny good enyway by the way mine are 22 iv had 177,s aswell and like some of the lads have said both are quite capable of killing vermin atvb mac

well real world, with my very limited experiance, i purchased a very nice BSA superten .22 and gave it a good try today,

lets just say i will be selling and sticking to my .177.

i would say for the shooters with limited experiance the .177 is just plain easier to shot and hit the target with.

this could also be due to the increased sensitivity to range or i am a crap shot!

regards

rob,

Exactly, spot on Rob :thumbs: .

Just as I have just said but written differently :thumbs: .

Thanks for the replies, I'm still not sure though.

I have been using my .22 HW97K so I'm familiar with the .22 trajectory. I also have an RF.

I would like to order it on Monday so need to make my mind up!

I think I might just stick with what I know (not that I know a lot about it) and go with .22.